It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas School District Reportedly Threatening Students Who Refuse Tracking ID, Can't Vote For Homeco

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allegorical
How about using the existing cards that the students ALREADY have (which have bar codes on them) and just putting a magnetic swipe on each teachers desk, every class you swipe in, problem solved.

What if I cut school and just have my friend bring my ID to school?

I think they're already using the Octopus card in Hong Kong for some schools to track attendance. Is the issue of a friend swiping your card for you already happening there?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Idiocy in teaching - 101.

Rule number 1 - You can't teach kids that aren't present in class.

Truancy means nothing to kids today. Why would it?

Social conditioning has told kids that their parents can not tell them what to do for about half of a century now.

Guess what? It worked.

The present situation stems from the mentality that parents are not necessary and family doesn't matter any more.

Society has been reprogrammed so well that individual responsibility to anyone does not exist any more.

Parents can't control their kids. Society can't control them either.

Now the school district has to corral thousands of kids with no sense of responsibility who will get diplomas no matter what.

Yay affirmative action and NCLB. Great job at promoting failure at an early age as the norm.

It all worked so well but there's a catch. Schools aren't getting paid because the kids don't get held accountable and don't show up. So how can the schools continue to turn our kids into lazy manipulative parasites if they don't get funded?

Chip em like cattle.

A police state is the ultimate result of a progressive agenda.

WOW!!! Did you hit the NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Look at the comments below the article and all the people supporting them! I'm shocked so many are fine with it and a little sad. If kids want to skip they are going to skip and find away around it. This is a slippery slope to go down and I hope the parents speak up.
edit on 9-10-2012 by nancyliedersdeaddog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
An alternative would be truancy court. Many states make the parent go to court and pay excessive fines. This would only affect students who are habitual offenders, but get a load out of the consequences.

Fines can cost up to $500 per truancy, due within 30 days unless a judge gives an extension. For many students and families, it’s another debt they can’t pay. And if fines aren’t paid, they can convert into an arrest warrant when a student turns 17.

Maybe the tracking device is an alternative to this:

In Hidalgo County, in southwest Texas, that’s exactly what happened to some 60 teenagers from poverty-level families who racked up thousands of dollars in truancy penalties. In 2010, the ACLU filed a class-action lawsuit on behalf of two 18-year-old plaintiffs who’d been sent to adult detention facilities for failure to pay their fines. Francisco de Luna owed more than $11,000 in truancy fines, accumulated over five years; he was sentenced to 132 days in jail. Another student, Elizabeth Diaz, was sentenced to jail for 18 days because she couldn’t pay $1,600 in fines assessed when she was 14 years old. “Our clients were indigents. They weren’t prepared for the choice of going to jail or paying exorbitant fines,” said the ACLU’s Graybill.

economichardship.org...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustSlowlyBackAway
reply to post by ninjas4321

This is just so sad.

There are other ways of keeping track of kids...one is called taking attendance in each class. There is simply no justification for forcing them to wear tracking devices like pets or criminals on house arrest.

If I were a teacher, (and I was for 25 years before I retired) I would NOT go along with this. I would stand firmly on the side of the kids who didn't wear one.

If I were a kid, or had a kid in this situation, I wouldn't wear or make my kids wear one of these, either.

Sometimes you just have to step up and say no to idiotic ideas.

edit on 9-10-2012 by JustSlowlyBackAway because: (no reason given)

What happened to the days when they called your name and you said:

HERE

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

Big Brother(or sister Janet Nappytano in this case) is alive and well! Might as well condition these younguns into learning that the guvment knows best and that to fight back is futile!

Government needs to get out of the business of taking care of our children!!! Unfortunately, out of the two globalists puppets we have had chosen for our Master for the next four years, things will only get worse.....

Oh yes, all the democrats in TEXAS are to blame

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by riverwild

This is just so sad.

There are other ways of keeping track of kids...one is called taking attendance in each class. There is simply no justification for forcing them to wear tracking devices like pets or criminals on house arrest.

If I were a teacher, (and I was for 25 years before I retired) I would NOT go along with this. I would stand firmly on the side of the kids who didn't wear one.

If I were a kid, or had a kid in this situation, I wouldn't wear or make my kids wear one of these, either.

Sometimes you just have to step up and say no to idiotic ideas.

edit on 9-10-2012 by JustSlowlyBackAway because: (no reason given)

What happened to the days when they called your name and you said:

HERE

Sad isn't it? School budgets are so stripped and with federal and state money being siphoned dry, I think they have no choice but to do whatever they can to meet federal guidelines to stay afloat.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I have no problem with this. Its basically just a bigger version of the RFID cards that millions of people use at workplaces already.

Although in the case of the school the area covered by the sensor plate is obviously greater than a few inches. They'd have a number of the sensor plates scattered around the school, each capable of detecting a card within a few yards.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
More personal freedom from a red state.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Invasion of privacy?

On school property? Nope.
Off school property? Absolutely.

The school district seems to be taking the term In Loco Parentis to a whole new level.

While I agree that truancy is an issue and education is extremely important, the method they are choosing is self defeating in one sense and educational in the other.

Its self defeating in that its an extreme invasion (imo) and will do nothing but anger the students and parents to the point of backlash. Its educational in the sense that students are becoming intimately familiar with how the government operates and what their rights are.

The fact the students are upset and taking a stand actually gives me some reassurance that our future is not as doomed as I thought.

ETA - In for a penny in for a pound... The Teachers, administrators and superintendents, in addition to any individual who iseven remotely attached to the school should also be reauired to abide by the tracking.
edit on 9-10-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I think the kids will work around this stupidity, some will make a lot of money! Duplicating RFID cards is easy as. Take a small scanner to school, collect all the info from every teacher and student within range, make duplicate chips, hide the chips all over school.

RIFID chips are cheap, really cheap! Pocket money cheap.

A few seconds in the microwave and RFID chips stop working. There are so many ways to stuff up such a system. Kids will no doubt accept the challenge. Duplicate the chip, stick the duplicate under the cleaners cart, microwave your student ID. Your good to go.

Of course when it comes to money time, the school wouldn't .... um .... massage the data now, would they?

P

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

If I were a teacher, (and I was for 25 years before I retired) I would NOT go along with this.
Apparently they are taking attendance in class, which is resulting in low numbers and a financial incentive to try to improve attendance (from the OP story):

If successful, the tracking program could save the district as much as $175,000 lost daily to low attendance figures, which in part determine school funding. Higher attendance could lead to more state funding in the neighborhood of $1.7 million.
If the school is losing $175,000 a day, do you think they are going to keep bleeding that kind of money just because a few people whine? That's a pretty decent incentive to do something.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

I like the California method, they hold the parents accountable. If your child doesn't make it to school, and misses class several times your directly affected legally.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

The should bill the parents for the amount lost by their child not being there. Can you imagine the attendance.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
oh no i wont be able to vote for home coming what will i ever do! those poor kids, they may never get to know what its like to vote for something that doesn't mean jack crap in the world or life, oh wait, they can just vote again at 18 in the real fake elections.

i could speed that process up real quick, id snap it in half and hand it back to them, or take it home put it in micro wave for 35-45 seconds at a time until the chip was fried. or if you wanted to be a completely goody tooshoes, you could just get a farady case and say F you to the principle as i walk by the scanners lol, plenty of ways to combat this with out anyone even knowing or causing a big stink, same goes for license with barcodes on back and passports with chips.

i just scratched the barcode with some scissors on back of my license so they A cant track what i buy (cigarettes+alcohol) B the cop actually has to type in my information "if" i get pulled over ^^. all i did for passport was 15 seconds at a time in micro wave 7 times, although haven't tested yet because why the hell would i put myself through TSA after i just paid 200$-1500 or more for a plane ticket to get treated like a criminal, they can keep the flights, ill drive ^^ plus i can puff the whole way there ^9

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Man.. IF I were still in school and they tried this, I would attach that "locator" badge to a stray dog and turn it loose downtown

edit on 10/9/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

I like the way you think!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I'd put it in the backseat of the principal's car...

Then when they asked me where I'd been I'd point a finger....

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

I'd put it in the backseat of the principal's car...

Then when they asked me where I'd been I'd point a finger....

E V I L
i like it ^^

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   

I'm not for this idea in any way because I agree with others that it is a trial for our coming fascist state, but I think there's some misconception on the part of some of the posters here as to what these actually do.

RFID chips are very short range, and have no power source. They work by receiving a signal from the reader, which causes them to transmit a unique ID number. This means that they won't really "track" students anywhere except inside the school. The will have to place the card on a reader (probably at each door) and the time and their location will be recorded. Once they leave the school the chips are inert devices.

When they start putting RFID readers in public locations, then it's time for a revolution.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
The public's expectation of privacy is what defines the protection of the 4th amendment as ruled by the SCOTUS.

This is the reason children are treated the same as adults and get the TSA grope, its all the reason for these ID's in schools.

When your children grow up expecting to be tracked, and groped/searched by the authorities that is what the 4th amendment will allow, because it would of become the expectation.

Its death by a thousand cuts, they are bleeding our rights out slowly.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join