It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative conference: Force against burglars to be allowed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
We can shoot burglars!

Householders who react with force when confronted by burglars are to get more legal protection, Justice Secretary Chris Grayling has said.

Grossly disproportionate" force will still be against the law in England and Wales, but the bar will be higher than the current "proportionate" force test.

It's about time. However, I hope this doesn't get abused by people dragging enemies to their house then accusing them of intrusion etc.

I do like to think we can defend our property without fear of legal reprisals.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
You can shoot a burglar, but you will still be investigated by the police. The law isn't any different to how it currently stands. It's just bone to throw out for the right wingers at the conference, populist policies to make it look like the conservatives are on the side of the victim.

There hasn't been a single case where a home owner has been sent to jail anyway, apart from the tony Martin case, where he shot someone running away in the back
edit on 9-10-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I realise this but it's good to be reminded that we have rights on our own properties. How many people have fallen victim to criminals invading their home and the victims not knowing their rights to defend themselves?

People need to know they are within the law to defend their property.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Sure I agree with this but it seems to me like they are just clarifying things - no real legal change at all.

More popularism whilst the hatchet job on the most vulnerable and needy continues unabated.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
You can shoot a burglar, but you will still be investigated by the police.

Sorry, American here, and I'm curious as to how things are done there. When you say "shoot a burglar," does this mean that it's legal to possess firearms in your own home? I thought the UK had gun control....

In my state, (Texas) they would investigate you, but a grand jury has to review the case and issue a "bill" before the prosecutor (state's officer) can proceed against you. Is this similar to what you are describing where you live?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

To be honest, not 100% sure about our gun control laws, but I know you can have shot guns with a licence. This is the thing, if someone gets shot the police have to investigate despite the circumstances.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Good for you guys. In my neck of the woods we have the Castle Doctrine to protect homeowners against unwanted intruders. Keep your cricket bat close and at the ready

Castle Doctrine
www.buckeyefirearms.org...

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by tovenar

To be honest, not 100% sure about our gun control laws, but I know you can have shot guns with a licence. This is the thing, if someone gets shot the police have to investigate despite the circumstances.

We can own rifles too, we just need a well vetted license. When I said we can shoot burglars, I was taking the piss a little.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

I'm another Texan and here a man's home is his "Castle" and we can defend it, it's contents, and ourselves with "Deadly Force". It's about time your leaders realize that people have a "God Given Right" to protect our homes and Loved Ones......

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pistolerooo

God given right..
where in the bible does it say this. When have guns ever been mentioned.

So all loving God said let them have a tool that would take a human life...human life is equal to material objects in his eyes right?..

Texas is full of buffoons so who cares what they got to say on the subject.

top topics

join