It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help converting VHS-C tapes to DVD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I've been looking around the internet, but I'm hoping some of you can help this old lady, LOL. I know just enough about computers to use them, but not all this extra stuff.

Anyway, I have all these old VHS-C Tapes and would like to convert them to DVD. So, I need to know what I need, besides the computer and the VHS player to do this? What cords do I need? Is there a certain program I need to buy?

With Christmas coming, I really want to do this right. 3 of these tapes are of an interview a friends daughter did, for school, with my Step-Grandfather. He was one of the first to land on D-day. He had so much to say and I would love to give this as a DVD to him and his family for Christmas. I don't know how much longer we will have him around.
Maybe I could even just do the "sound" here?

Anyways, any help will be most appreciated.
And if anyone would be interested in giving it a listen, when done, let me know.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
It might be easier getting a cheap DVD recorder.Then you would just have to plug the DVD recorder into your TV & the VHS into the DVD recorder with a scart lead.It then would be as simple as playing the video and pressing record on the DVD recorder.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

Ok, that sounds promising. What would the quality be?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

This one is rated the best and hooks up USB to PC and RCA to old VHS player.

Link to recorder

I have the old versions which is much larger but works great.

Hope this helps.

The quality will be the same as it is on the tape.

I can do HI8 tapes because I have a camera and if I had a VCR I could do your tapes as well.
The version I have of the recorder will also let you record live TV because it has more hooks up than just USB.
edit on 9-10-2012 by knowledgedesired because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by knowledgedesired

That looks good and the price isn't too bad. As long as the software comes with it.
The other concern I had with some of the other software I looked at was that you had to download it, which I do not have internet at home, which is where I would be doing this.

I still have the camera for the tapes, but it is broke somehow (won't do anything) and you can't find a repair man for it. Probably to old I guess.

Thank you both for your help!
edit on 9-10-2012 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

You don't need the camera just the working VCR.

I use my HI8 camera as the player as well but for you having a workin VCR is all you will need.

Software comes with the recorder in the box.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

You need a VHS-c conversion casstte adapter to regular VHS if your cam is broke.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
On top of the suggestions above:

bear in mind that when you copy anything from VHS to... anything, the best quality you're going to get is (wait for it)... VHS. If that. Your copy will only ever, at most, have the equal to or less than the quality of the source, depending on how you go through the process of making that copy (and what you use to encode the new video/audio data and so on).

You can find dongle thingies on eBay that will let you do a conversion fairly quickly and easily using RCA cables (so, audio L/R in/out, video in/out)... which then converts to a USB input at the other end. That's not a bad way to go, I've done it a handful of times and it's worked out okay.

I wouldn't want to copy an entire VHS collection though - not only is it not worth it (VHS is rubbish quality) but it's time consuming. So if you have VHS stuff that is really important to you (for sentimental reasons) then go for it, but if it's anything else (like that episode of Cheers you taped in 1988), chuck it

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
It might be easier getting a cheap DVD recorder.Then you would just have to plug the DVD recorder into your TV & the VHS into the DVD recorder with a scart lead.It then would be as simple as playing the video and pressing record on the DVD recorder.

I have a VHS & DVD combo recorder (all-in-one) ...works great, cost is $200 or more depending on brand, maybe even cheaper on Ebay...

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by proob4

Yeah, I had one, but it came up missing, so I will be buying a new one of those as well.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

I figured it wouldn't be top quality, but these are all home movies, and like I said above, an interview with Grandpa about D-day. Something I seriously don't want to lose!!!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Just wanted to say thanks again to all of you for your help!!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Just a thought - depending on how many family videos you want to transfer, using a local service might be your best-quality and best-time investment. If you've got more recordings than will fill a couple of DVDs it's probably more cost effective to do it yourself.

ganjoa

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

I've thought about it, but I have over 50 tapes!!! I figure I will make sure I get the Interview one done right away, and the rest will be a good winter weekends project.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by knowledgedesired

Just wanted to let you know, I bought it. After 2 days of frustration, because when it comes to hooking up electronics I am an idiot, and the VCR and that thing both have female ends, I finally got it figured out!

I was so excited, especially watching the grandpa video!!!
So THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

You are absolutley welcome and I am very happy you got your video ready in time.

P.S. If I still a VCR I would have done this for free for you

Have a great day.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Save yourself the aggravation and go to COSTCO or Walmart...

top topics

join