It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darden tests limiting worker hours as health-care changes loom

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
www.orlandosentinel.com...

In an experiment apparently aimed at keeping down the cost of health-care reform, Orlando-based Darden Restaurants has stopped offering full-time schedules to many hourly workers in at least a few Olive Gardens, Red Lobsters and LongHorn Steakhouses.

Darden said the test is taking place in "a select number" of restaurants in four markets, including Central Florida, but would not give details. The company said there has been no decision made about expanding it.

In an emailed statement, Darden said staffing changes are "just one of the many things we are evaluating to help us address the cost implications health care reform will have on our business. There are still many unanswered questions regarding the health care regulations and we simply do not have enough information to make any decisions at this time."

In fact, as today's news article, states, many other companies are considering the same tactic;

Analysts say many other companies, including the White Castle hamburger chain, are considering employing fewer full-timers because of key features of the Affordable Care Act scheduled to go into effect in 2014. Under that law, large companies must provide affordable health insurance to employees working an average of at least 30 hours per week. If they do not, the companies can face fines of up to $3,000 for each employee who then turns to an exchange — an online marketplace — for insurance. "I think a lot of those employers, especially restaurants, are just going to ensure nobody gets scheduled more than 30 hours a week," said Matthew Snook, partner with human-resources consulting company Mercer. Darden said its goal at the test restaurants is to keep employees at 28 hours a week.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
dont most places do this now?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
We are already seeing the negative effect that Obamacare will have on jobs in the United States. More and more workers will be turned from full-time workers to part time workers, due to this tactic of corporations across the US. Of course, the companies will have to hire more part-time workers, which will actually "lower" the unemployment number.
This is more than accidental, in my humble opinion. This shows how the corporations are working together with government to further the conversion of this country's workforce into a pseudo-slave work force, making minimum wage, unable to support the family, and forced to do whatever the government and the corporations want them to do.
Left untouched, the Affordable Health Care law will turn our nation into a nation where nobody has health care, and those that do manage to get it, will spend a significant portion of their income on it.
Welcome to the New World Order.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
wow this is most disturbing to me, to think that my livelihood could be
compromised by something like this, the low end work market is already
hard enough to live in, now this will make it impossible, if this idea
spreads its going to drag the economy down extremely quickly.

the sad thing is it will simply be cutting off their nose to spite their
face as many of the patrons of those establishments are lower income
people who will no longer have any free spending money for
luxuries such as those.....

at 40 hrs per week in those jobs right now its barely a livable wage.
rent or mortgage, car, insurance, the idea is just sad...... the endless
profit parade will end soon enough, they just want to keep adding
weight and expect it all to never crumble, well i can tell you its
not far off at all now, this is only a tiny glimpse of the true problems....

if health care cant be made affordable and goods cant be priced
realistically and they also refuse to cut profits so wages can
increase so those items can be made affordable that way then
there can be no middle ground, they are flat out saying you
do not deserve better..... we do not deserve better.....

we will have better, with or without them, if they refuse
to innovate than we must do so on our own, as much as
they hate to admit it they cant survive without us either.....

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
We are already seeing the negative effect that Obamacare will have on jobs in the United States. More and more workers will be turned from full-time workers to part time workers, due to this tactic of corporations across the US. Of course, the companies will have to hire more part-time workers, which will actually "lower" the unemployment number.
This is more than accidental, in my humble opinion. This shows how the corporations are working together with government to further the conversion of this country's workforce into a pseudo-slave work force, making minimum wage, unable to support the family, and forced to do whatever the government and the corporations want them to do.
Left untouched, the Affordable Health Care law will turn our nation into a nation where nobody has health care, and those that do manage to get it, will spend a significant portion of their income on it.
Welcome to the New World Order.
Good points.
We are seeing more of the fascism that exists in America today. Strong central government breeds even stronger controls and evolves into complete fascism.
I think we are well past the point where we could have turned back.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Hey, on the bright side, there will be more part time jobs available for the unemployed.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

the sad thing is it will simply be cutting off their nose to spite their face as many of the patrons of those establishments are lower income people who will no longer have any free spending money for luxuries such as those.....
reply to post by bloodreviara

Star!
Excellent point, my friend. This tactic is very similar to what happened in the early 1990's, when companies started "downsizing " in great numbers in order to improve the bottom line. The short term effect was to increase profits, but with fewer employees, corporate gross sales eventually fell.
One of the real problems with the American economy, is the fact that short-term profits are what drive Wall Street, and thus, executive decision makers are more concerned with their stock price than they are with long-term survivability of the company. They believe that they'll make their individual profit quickly, then get out of the company before it collapses. It is driven by greed and the total disregard for what happens to the rest of the world.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

I am really questioning this EXCUSE that Darden is using!

Among the waivers recently granted were for employers like Darden Restaurants, which operates the Red Lobster and Olive Garden restaurants, for 34,000 of its workers. Federal officials have granted 111 waivers to employers, insurers and union plans, who are responsible for covering about 1.2 million people.

Darden said the waiver would allow it to offer employees access to affordable coverage as the health care law is started.

Source

Sounds to me like Darden is biting the hand that gave them a waiver in the first place, and now they are looking to screw their employees and blame it on the Affordable Care Act!

I am dead against Obamacare, but this article is really disturbing.....................

Someone is not telling the truth!

EDIT: After a little more digging......................

Orlando-based Darden Restaurants is getting a break on part of the health-care reform law requiring companies to raise significantly annual coverage limits for low-cost insurance plans starting next year.

Darden is among more than 100 companies nationwide that have received one-year waivers, including McDonald's, Ruby Tuesday and Cigna, which writes health insurance plans.

Source

It appears Darden is playing both sides of the political fence on this one! Perhaps they have done very well, learning how to be successful by watching how our politicians do business?

edit on 9-10-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace
Hey, on the bright side, there will be more part time jobs available for the unemployed.

Or there will be a lot more part-timers looking for more part time work.

It seems that there are a lot of people looking for work already, this will just add to their trouble.

ETA: There will be those businesses that find that they can get along with one or two less employees(in total) when they cut the hours of most of them.
edit on 9-10-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

We are seeing more of the fascism that exists in America today. Strong central government breeds even stronger controls and evolves into complete fascism. I think we are well past the point where we could have turned back.
reply to post by butcherguy

True. I agree with you wholehearted. The greed is so inbred into the system, that it won't turn around peacefully. However, I firmly believe that at some point in the not too distant future, we will see Greek-like riots in the major population centers of the United States. I'm not an alarmist, but a realist, and when critical mass has been reached, it is almost inevitable. Neither party has any idea of how far they have driven the citizens of this country into despair, because when you are sitting on a 5 mile high mountain, you cannot see the suffering of the people below.
I don't wish for it, but I believe it is inevitable, because neither candidate has a clue as to what their positions are doing to the US.
starred.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

reply to post by LeatherNLace

That is EXACTLY the point I made, and the government will be able to crow that we are at full employment. The old USSR was at full employment during their reign of communism, The favorite saying of the Russian people then was:

The government pretends to pay us, and we pretend to work

The only product that sold well then was Vodka.......to drown the pain of the people.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
duplicate post
edit on 9-10-2012 by ProfEmeritus because: duplicate post

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Sounds to me like Darden is biting the hand that gave them a waiver in the first place,
reply to post by seeker1963

What you fail to understand, and apparently so do many others, is the following:

THE WAIVERS ARE FOR ONE YEAR ONLY BECAUSE:
They were meant to get the Obama administration and the Democrats in Congress past the elections, then the boom gets lowered.

edit on 9-10-2012 by ProfEmeritus because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-10-2012 by ProfEmeritus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Nope! I sure didn't fail to understand.....

I was well aware of that "one year" statement!

I don't want to go off topic, but I will say this, "The writing is on the wall! Follow the BIG money and you will see that Romney is a shoo in for the next POTUS! Obama has done made a few elitests very angry and if you read between the lines such as the OP, you can see the current changing directions......"!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Nope! I sure didn't fail to understand..... I was well aware of that "one year" statement!

When I reread my reply, I realized how it sounded, and yes, I know you were aware of the one year limitation. I tried to clarify it, in my edit, but I guess I failed. Sorry.
The point I was trying to make is that the one year exemption was for nothing more than to allow the Obama administration and the Democrats that passed this Obamanation'" from taking any blow-back. That tactic has obviously failed miserably.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

No offense taken my friend! Sometimes for one to learn they must first clear their mind of what they thought they knew!

I am not always right, but unlike those who get mad when they are proven wrong, I am happy that someone taught me what was right, versus going thru life spewing ignorance......

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
This reminds me so much of when Reagan introduced his job "share" plan in order to reduce costs on employers. Since they would have more/mostly part time employees, they would save money on insurance premiums because they weren't required to provide medical insurance to employees working less than 29(???) hours a week. It really hurt a lot of full time employees who not only lost half of their income but their medical insurance as well. It put many people in a bind because they made too much for public assistance and weren't qualified for "free" medical care. In those days, they didn't have the "low income" clinics like they do now. At least not in many cities. Maybe the larger ones, say 30K or more. I don't know that for sure. I know my town's population was 9,500 and the next door neighbor's population was 14,500 and neither had a sliding fee scale or low income clinics. I know the reports on Reaganomics all say it was good but I specifically remember how it negatively impacted workers. I was so worried my job would be "shared" but the company I worked for decided not to participate in the job sharing plan in an attempt to retain higher quality of workers.
edit on 9-10-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I worked for olive garden back in 2005, and can vouch that even back then nobody had a full time schedule let alone 8 hr days. Their MO was to send you home after 6 hours so as to not have to provide you a 30 min lunch, and aside from the 3 managers (who were salaried) and the tenured bartender, nobody ever really worked more than 6 hour days except around christmas time (the olive garden I worked at was in the mall parking lot, so we would get packed).

Looks like theyre just making a practice into policy.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Not necessarily. They could just be looking at the 1-year waiver and anticipating that they won't be getting another waiver next year. That means they will either be forced to screw themselves by kneeling before the government and paying far more for health care or screw their employees to avoid being forced to pay more in health coverage. Let's be realistic here, it is pretty easy to point fingers at the "big bad corporations" for choosing what's best for their bottom lines... but there really isn't a lot of difference between them doing it and the average citizen deciding to follow what is best for them and their family even though it may not be best for everyone else (an example being choosing not to eat at restaurants to save money... it would be clearly asinine to accuse those who prepare all of their own meals of "being selfish" by not helping to support restaurant workers.)

But hell, Obamacare has opened the door for the Feds to require Americans to purchase crap. In a few years who knows? Maybe we'll all be Federally mandated to eat no fewer than 1 meal per week at a restaurant, getting our little IRS: 1023a form stamped as we do so. April rolls around and your form has only been stamped 50 times? Oopsie, you get to pay the IRS a tax on your two non-restuarantized weeks of the year. Too bad, so sad, here's Justice John Roberts' traitorous boot up your ass if you don't appreciate the law.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Not necessarily. They could just be looking at the 1-year waiver and anticipating that they won't be getting another waiver next year. That means they will either be forced to screw themselves by kneeling before the government and paying far more for health care or screw their employees to avoid being forced to pay more in health coverage. Let's be realistic here, it is pretty easy to point fingers at the "big bad corporations" for choosing what's best for their bottom lines... but there really isn't a lot of difference between them doing it and the average citizen deciding to follow what is best for them and their family even though it may not be best for everyone else (an example being choosing not to eat at restaurants to save money... it would be clearly asinine to accuse those who prepare all of their own meals of "being selfish" by not helping to support restaurant workers.)

But hell, Obamacare has opened the door for the Feds to require Americans to purchase crap. In a few years who knows? Maybe we'll all be Federally mandated to eat no fewer than 1 meal per week at a restaurant, getting our little IRS: 1023a form stamped as we do so. April rolls around and your form has only been stamped 50 times? Oopsie, you get to pay the IRS a tax on your two non-restuarantized weeks of the year. Too bad, so sad, here's Justice John Roberts' traitorous boot up your ass if you don't appreciate the law.

Agreed with most of what you said, except for the fact I do not believe I ever said or implied anything that I was against those who slaved and prepared my food.......I eat out maybe 8 times a year, other than that, I cook and prepare my own food from scratch. At least that way I know what the hell I am eating and I have no one else to blame for my health if I get sick........

I am, and always will be against a tyrannical government who trys to tell me what I should and shouldn't do!

EDIT: I actually find it funny that Darden held out their hand for a waiver, GOT ONE, and are now turning their back on Obama for helping them out! All I can say is, "How does it feel?"! Sadly enough, it is the working stiffs who will get screwed! Not the Corporation and certainly NOT the corrupt politicians who create these ridiculous laws that the rest of us have to follow, while they live the high life!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join