Satellite Images of the CIA's Secret Bin Laden Training Facility

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
What's fascinating is the comparison photo between Bing Maps and Google Maps - Google scrubbed the site. As we all know on ATS, Google listens to US government requests, but I don't think we've ever seen a crystal clear instance of what a scrubbed site looks like, and how Google treats the image in its Maps applications. Look at the scrubbed image, you can see they do their best to make it look a sand, concrete pile not the "blacked out" or blurry boxes we always assume are scrubbed images.

This also reminds me of a lead thread last week about 20 sites scrubbed from Google Maps, in the comments ATS-ers found those sites using Yahoo Maps - so the lesson here is, maybe Google Maps isn't the best source for viewing the globe - use the alternative maps at Bing and Yahoo.

Bing Map of the site:

Google Map scrub of the site

[url=http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2012/10/satellite-images-capture-cias-secret-bin-laden-training-facility/57771/]www.theatlanticwire.com[/ur l]
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 9-10-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Clearly the pics were taken on different days. No scrubbing. The question is when were the photos taken?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
wouldn't say scrubbed google maps are not always updated to reflect current changes.

For example there has been new construction put up where i live but google maps still shows what it use to look like.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
True, true. In fact, Bing updates less frequently as Google has the latest image of demolished site while Bing has the older (more valuable) version. Darn, I thought I shared a compelling visual to show Google scrubbing an image, but alas it's an updated image of the site demolished.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
wouldn't say scrubbed google maps are not always updated to reflect current changes.

For example there has been new construction put up where i live but google maps still shows what it use to look like.

Yeah, I agree. It's not google maps scrubbing anything. It's just a matter of the map not being fully up to date. It's a picture of the facility still under construction. Bing and yahoo updated before google did and shows the facility fully built, it appears.

Just as you, Neo, have seen with your house. It is not showing the latest construction on your place. Google is not doing any scrubbing...They just have not updated the images over your house.

Or, in two words....I agree.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I would be interested in knowing when the Bing shot was taken.
When did they start training on that site, when did they build it, when did they know that Bin laden was where he was?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

It was built between January 14, 2011 and February 15, 2011, then demolished before October 21, 2011. So they knew enough about Bin Laden's location in January 2011 to start construction by February

Bin Laden was killed on May 2, 2011 so the Seals had just under 3 months to train - it seems.

Source: cryptome.org...
edit on 9-10-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

thanks.
That is nice that they had the time that they did to train, and a fairly accurate representation of the compound to work with.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88
Bin Laden was killed on May 2, 2011 so the Seals had just under 3 months to train - it seems.

Thanks for the nice link.

I wonder if the seals knew the compound they were training in was a mock-up of Bin Laden's compound? My guess is they wouldn't be given Bin Laden's name until they were en-route but that's just a guess. I haven't bought the seal's "tell-all" book to see if he covers that.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by Jason88

Thanks for the nice link.

I wonder if the seals knew the compound they were training in was a mock-up of Bin Laden's compound? My guess is they wouldn't be given Bin Laden's name until they were en-route but that's just a guess. I haven't bought the seal's "tell-all" book to see if he covers that.

According to the book, they knew. The first briefing for the mission informed them of the target, and how the CIA had found him, which is very important since these guys had been sent on wild goose chases after Bin Laden a few times already. The CIA actually seemed eager to prove to the Seals that they finally had tracked him down.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
So, we must wonder when did they know where he was and the exact layout of the replica facility to build. Surely, some several months were involved in all of this being done. Seems to me like an over-cautious gamble on the decision-makers part. Did politics play a part? (Let's stall this along toward late in O's term.)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by steppenwolf86
According to the book, they knew. The first briefing for the mission informed them of the target, and how the CIA had found him, which is very important since these guys had been sent on wild goose chases after Bin Laden a few times already. The CIA actually seemed eager to prove to the Seals that they finally had tracked him down.
Thanks for that. So the first briefing for the mission was when they started training at the mockup of the compound?

I'm surprised they told them the target that early; did they tell just the seal commanders or the all the seal team members also?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Arb,

does it really matter?

Oh well, I guess it's a fascinating subject after all, and I just don't see it as such.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
No disrespect to the OP, or anyone else posting, but it's a small wonder as to why this has only one flag. Do you guys REALLY believe the ''official'' Bin Laden killing story?? Yeah, right, they built a replica of the compound! No wonder we're screwed as a nation, we believe anything they tell us , and that's evident by threads such as this. Ms. Bhutto stated waaay back that Bin Laden was already dead, and shortly after that, so was she, JFK style. Who was Ms. Bhutto, and what's behind the story? Research is your friend. Utilize it. I can't fathom why ANYONE outside of Washington D.C. , would buy any of the bullsh!+ coming OUT of Washington D.C.
edit on 10-10-2012 by poloblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by steppenwolf86
Thanks for that. So the first briefing for the mission was when they started training at the mockup of the compound?

I'm surprised they told them the target that early; did they tell just the seal commanders or the all the seal team members also?

The first to know were the commanders, who went to washington to formulate a plan with the high ups and the white house, then the team was assembled, quote hand picked, from the different squads of team 6, most of whom were stateside. When they arrived on site for training they received the briefing and were shown a detailed model along with drone feeds etc, almost all the intel. They were even shown a drone feed of the Pacer, who was alleged to be Bin Laden himself, the man would go into the courtyard and walk in circles....

Sorry, my quote key is fried, I spilled dr pepper lol...

As for the guy who doesn't believe the official story, I find it quite believable as long as you think Bin Laden was still alive. Nothing about the mission itself was impossible or even that unusual other than the full size mockup, which was not so much for training purposes as it was to convince the brass that the operation could be carried out successfully. Furthermore, in the book, the so called Mark Owen talks about at least one mission where Bin Laden was allegedly spotted that turned into a wild goose chase, and was based on really poor intel. I know it is hard to imagine that we lost track of Bin Laden for so long, but it really is believable. The guy never used a cell phone, he was insulated, he was smart, and he got out of Tora Bora, which in itself was a major screw up. The CIA learned their lesson(They should have let Delta pursue Bin Laden at Tora Bora) and once Bin Laden was found some 10 years later, they let the Seals do their thing and stayed out of running the mission. The author of the book speaks about the Good Idea Fairy, which is when some Officer or Civilian has a good idea that adds unnecessary equipment or problems to a mission JUST IN CASE, and it is a part of over planning. The CIA learned their lesson and was hands off, and the Good Idea Fairy was unemployed on that mission.
edit on 10-10-2012 by steppenwolf86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
What a waste of time... Why do this if bin Laden was murdered several years before?

Fake photos, Impossible manouvers with helicopters, a mysterious bury.

An (not so) organized false flag operation.
What a fantastic gift by the left arm CIA guys to the new Administration.
edit on 10-10-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
isnt the point here actually that the gov knew where bin laden was for such an amount of time to be able to rebuild his entire damn home and train in it?

not exactly in a hurry to catch him were they, waiting for the right time, for the go ahead from the pres, pres wanted to make sure it was the best moment for pr,

not saying i buy any of the story the gov feeds the us anyway but hey if they are admitting to building his home and training in it before hand we can at least nail them for having knowledge of his location for an extended amount of time before ACTING on it, as per their own version of the story.
edit on 10/10/12 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye
isnt the point here actually that the gov knew where bin laden was for such an amount of time to be able to rebuild his entire damn home and train in it?

not exactly in a hurry to catch him were they, waiting for the right time, for the go ahead from the pres, pres wanted to make sure it was the best moment for pr,

not saying i buy any of the story the gov feeds the us anyway but hey if they are admitting to building his home and training in it before hand we can at least nail them for having knowledge of his location for an extended amount of time before ACTING on it, as per their own version of the story.
edit on 10/10/12 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

It was not that long of a time, they had to confirm it was really him... what if they went in and it was some other rich tall guy? Why are you second guessing what was a nearly flawless mission?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye

"Not exactly in a hurry"? It never dawned on you that it might have actually been DIFFICULT to pull this one off?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join