It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive mushroom cloud in Russia after ‘spontaneous missile explosion’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The largest non-nuclear explosive is a TVB, which of course Russia has the largest.

Other than one of those or a variant, its hard to see much else causing that cloud.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen
Just for comparison. They look very similar to me.

they do to me too.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Nothing to see here - conventional bunker buster bomb below

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't nuclear explosions emit an EMP, which would knock out the electronics, including the camera which was being used to record it?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

i think only ones detonated from altitude

Electromagnetic pulse

Main articles: Electromagnetic pulse and Geomagnetically induced current

Gamma rays from a nuclear explosion produce high energy electrons through Compton scattering. For high altitude nuclear explosions, these electrons are captured in the Earth's magnetic field at altitudes between twenty and forty kilometers where they interact with the Earth's magnetic field to produce a coherent electromagnetic pulse (EMP) which lasts about one millisecond. Secondary effects may last for more than a second.

The pulse is powerful enough to cause moderately long metal objects (such as cables) to act as antennas and generate high voltages due to interactions with the electromagnetic pulse. These voltages can destroy unshielded electronics. There are no known biological effects of EMP. The ionized air also disrupts radio traffic that would normally bounce off the ionosphere.

Electronics can be shielded by wrapping them completely in conductive material such as aluminum foil; however, the effectiveness of the shielding may be less than perfect. Proper shielding is a complex subject due to the large number of variables involved. Semiconductors, especially integrated circuits, are extremely susceptible to the effects of EMP due to the close proximity of the PN junctions, but this is not the case with thermionic tubes (or valves) which are relatively immune to EMP. A Faraday cage doesn't offer protection from the effects of EMP unless the mesh is designed to have holes no bigger than the smallest wavelength emitted from a nuclear explosion.

Large nuclear weapons detonated at high-altitudes also cause geomagnetically induced current in very long electrical conductors. The mechanism by which these geomagnetically induced currents are generated is entirely different from the gamma ray induced pulse produced by Compton electrons.

from WIKI

although i could be wrong

im no expert!
edit on 9-10-2012 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't nuclear explosions emit an EMP, which would knock out the electronics, including the camera which was being used to record it?

Ground level detonations do produce an EMP but it is limited in range by the yield and air-pressure at a given distance from the point of detonation. High altitude bursts cause oscillation in the earth's magnetic field which radiates an EMP across a much larger area.

The explosion looks like it is around 10 miles from the first witness so the camera would not necessarily be affected by an EMP.

I think it looks like a conventional weapon personally, or rather, hopefully...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

could be something like m.o.a.b.

or a low yield nuke

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

It looks like explosions of conventional weapons to me, but I am no expert. If areas are being evacuated it could be because of gas/oil line leaks caused by the blast and shockwave.

What is funny is the claim of injuries/no injuries. It is very obvious that anyone near the blast would have been killed and I am pretty sure that if windows were blown out that many miles away there would have been varying degrees of injury from cuts by flying glass to death by flying debris closer to the blasts. But hey, its Russia.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
It seems to me that if this was an accidental explosion there would definitely be injuries somewhere. Maybe military personal aren't considered casualties in Russia.
I just can't believe there was no one around those munitions when they went off.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by Insurrection

From the video, I would estimate that to be at least 100,000 lbs. of conventional ordnance.
At least.

100,000 lbs of tnt, or a 50 kiloton nuclear bomb. the same thing, minus the radiation.

then look on youtube for a 10 kiloton bomb, and you'll see its much more devastating than the russian explosion at 1/5th the power.

it could be a 1 kiloton tactical neutron bomb, but then you'd figure the emp would interfere with the camera and the power grid.

or it can be of sufficiently low yield that the emp would only effect its immediate surroundings.

second option could be the russian version of a bunker buster or moab being tested.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I studied NBC warfare when I was in the army in 97 and the one thing you would have from a Tactical weapon would be light lots of light that sets fires upto 13km away (depending on KT/MT size) so you would have eye casualtys and terrible burn victims.

Lets see if they turn up or any independent science organisations report increase in radiation readings.

Ste

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
What if it was an old nuke of some small type that exploded in base (where there has to be people working there...cause bombs dont just blow up/ are stored in a military base without any human security) and blew up other explosions.

In order to not cause any panic, they tell people that it wasn't nuclear. They say its safe so that chaos isnt erupted in neighborhoods over their security/ survival. They evacuate everyone due to possible radiation moving into the area.

Its best to lie sometimes.... than just tell the full truth. If they just said, a nuke exploded in one of our bases and the'res radiation headed towards you.... everyone will start panicking, the highways will be jammed with traffic, the streets will be filled with people panicking....especially with a Russians worst nightmare....radiation...Chernobyl. For now its best to keep everyone calm... then when they think its safe, they can start giving everyone some info.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
About 15 years ago when the Delta exploded at Kennedy I could see the top of the mushroom cloud from my house in Cocoa Beach about 12 miles away and smell a slight whiff of hydrozine in the air. Fortunately the cloud stay out over the ocean while it drifted south.
I drove down to the beach to get a sense as to where the cloud was moving and saw it a few miles off shore hanging low like fog.
Needless to say I was a little concerned but relieved to see it out there!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Im gonna have to say no to the blowing up of an ammo dump. My current job is handling and storing munitions, our explosions are far enough that if it went off the rest of the city would be fine. This is something far worse and the truth isn't being told. Plus a shockwave! Thats horrible!
edit on 9-10-2012 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Meet the Mother Of All Bombs: MOAB

Looks just like Russian pic to me; here is MOAB:

Here is Russia:

Here is a video of it on the Military Channel.

When we were testing it people thought it was a nuclear bomb.

Wiki link to specs.

Could be they were developing their own, or bigger MOAB.

edit on 9-10-2012 by pianopraze because: ...

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I've looked several times throughout the day I saw no notice of "Explosion" anywhere on hisz.rsoe.hu

Most every other knee scrape is announced (as far as I know). Even minor events like a boat accident that has no injuries.

I just don't get it. Clearly, there is a cloud indicating exploded ordinance. I have read rt.com, looked at various sites for further info, and I wash my hands everytime I go to the bathroom.

No dead folks, minor damage, unimportant.

I call Bull.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Havent watched the video yet, does anybody know when this event aactually took place?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Cmon Ricky ! A one line thread ? Are you for real ? You could have put a little more into this and had a great thread.

I don't know very low quality information going on here.
edit on 10-10-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I dont want to sound like an idiot .but...... does any one know if there is or if there could have been something along the lines of the Louisiana sinkhole.with chemical or gas filled caverns??

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
regardless of what it was, a shockwave like that from miles away would scare the crapola outta me for sure, i would suspect a dump of somesort as there are a couple smaller explosions through out the vids i have seen, the moving of the residents was probably just to make sure what kind of dump and what actually caught on fire like maybe chemical waste, hospital waste, ect ect

it would be interesting to see what ground zero looks like if there is a huge ditch then was most likely accident, if no ditch then maybe exploded above ground and was a secret test of some sort. probably wont show ground zero though.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join