It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Intelligence�a free E-book.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
This link takes you to a free E-book titled Intelligent Systems and Their Societies, by Walter Fritz. In discussing artificial intelligence he also analyses human intelligence, working from the premise that intelligence, whether biological or artificial works from the same basic methods:

In studying "intelligence" we have not limited ourselves to one aspect, such as vision, problem solving, or expert systems, but we have studied the total intelligent system. This system has senses, objectives, a selection of responses from memory, a possibility to act on its environment, and finally the ability to learn from its experiences. Thus intelligence, in the sense that we defined it, is basically a stimulus - response mechanism, but with a selection of responses according to an objective. It is a way to chose an adequate response to a given situation, a response that brings the system nearer to its objective.

If this kind of material sounds at all interesting, the link above takes you to the index. I would suggest starting at the end: reading the section titled �Extensive Summary� will give you a review of his basic points.

The information may be useful to those interested in artificial intelligence, in that he discusses how artificial intelligence can mimic the same basic functions as human intelligence (to a limited extent).

But I actually found the reverse more interesting�the degree to which the human mind functions as a biological computer. My education has touched only upon the most basic of computer programming, but his discussion of hierarchies of concept, data integrity, and stimulus-response systems sounds a lot like computer functions to me. He sort of integrates the ideas of Pavlovian conditioning with computer programming to explain how the human mind works.

It might not be your cup of tea, but then again it might be. Anyway, the price is right.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Hey good post friend. Its interesting to read how the computer can mimic the human reactions, however I believe in order for a true AI to be "Born" a high storage ability would be needed. Stil though good read.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Nice find. It confused me to the point of insanity. THanks

join