Watch a man jump off the edge of space - live!

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Felix Baumgartner plans to leap from just under 23 miles above the Earth's surface today, in what will be the world's highest ever skydive. A helium balloon will carry the Austrian to an altitude of 120,000 feet. If successful, his jump will break both a 52 year sky-diving record and the sound barrier.

www.redbullstratos.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

If successful, his jump will break both a 52 year sky-diving record and the sound barrier.
reply to post by wildespace

if he is not successful
he will make the fastest fall human pancake

whats the point of this
so Red Bull & Go Pro
have a new ad campaign

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
He's going to have to spend some good time falling in the higher atmosphere in order to break the sound barrier, there is no other way he could possibly break it.... I guess he will achieve that speed while he's falling through the higher atmosphere and then when he gets down in the lower atmosphere he will slow down to terminal velocity..........
edit on 9-10-2012 by jheated5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Thanks...

What is the dark "ball", that flies around the sky in every camera angle???
Is it his balloon?

ETA:
I made a screenshot, but it's better to view the stream in 1080p
Upper right corner

Ok, it's not his ballon:
They now say: "Mission resumes - Balloon layout has begun"
edit on 9.10.2012 by grobi77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

In part, yes, it is an ad and publicity stunt. It seems to be working, as it's been on the news at the gym the last four mornings. No one knows what happens to the body when it breaks the sound barrier, so there is some medical data to be gathered from it as well. I'm expecting Fearless Felix to have something akin to breaking the trans-warp barrier happen to him.

reply to post by jheated5

You're correct. He'll be able to break the sound barrier where the atmosphere is less dense. His terminal velocity at the high altitude is expected to be almost 700 miles per hour! As he descends he will encounter more dense atmosphere and begin to slow down.

reply to post by grobi77

I believe that is the balloon in the image. I'm not sure though. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by cmdrkeenkid

& @ what point
in his free fall does he
become a corpse

and will that be good
for Red Bull sales....

"Red Bull gives you Death"

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

I believe they're very confident in Felix's capabilities, his equipment, and the weather. He has performed thousands of jumps already, from a very low 95 feet BASE jump to an incredible 18.3 mile high skydive. He also is a bit of a nut, so if he does go out this way, I'm sure he'll be going out just the way he wanted.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Looks like the jump has been delayed again.

CNN

Roswell, New Mexico (CNN) -- A skydiver's historic free-fall from the edge of space was put on hold Tuesday morning amid concerns about the weather, raising the possibility that it could be put off to another day.

The winds early Tuesday morning were moving at about 18 mph where the top of Baumgartner's balloon would be. Organizers want the winds to calm to 5 mph or lower before the jump.

There is a three-hour window in which to launch -- from 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. local time in Roswell, or 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. ET.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by grobi77

I'd say it's a weather balloon. Today's launch has been awaiting the weather clearance.

They are showing the capsule now, and the message is "Felix is getting ready to launch!"

By the way, this is the guy who glided over the English Channel using a wingsuit.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Yeah! Looks like it's back on! This is pretty exciting! I don't see the launch countdown though...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Just watched the news on BBC, they said the launch is in about an hour. They also said that the speed of sound at that altitude is 650 mph. Felix is expected to reach over 700 mph.

P.S. Aborted for today, due to gusty winds. Boohoo!
edit on 9-10-2012 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
And... It's off again due to weather. Womp womp.

I haven't been able to find anything about a date or time for the next attempt yet.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics
top topics

join