It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Having NOTHING to rant about has filled me with a deep need to RANT!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
As I write these words, it's just a hair after three in the morning. I've had a busy night making a few dollars by pulling a mountain of malware from a neighbors PC - and the deep scanners used to find and eliminate that malware take hours to run - so sleep is not in my immediate future.

The downside to this is that watching malware scanners sort through every single file, in a modern PC - where there are hundreds of thousands of files? BORING.

And ATS seems to have quieted down for the night. I do have two current threads, but they appear to be comfortably tucked into bed for the remainder of the evening - or until the Aussies start posting from their bizarro world where day is night and summer is winter!

That all left me here pretty much bored stiff.

As it happens, I really do post here in exactly the same manner as I 'd converse with friends in public. What you see regarding "Heff" is honestly "Heff. Heck, anyone who's followed my posts for any length of time already knows, I am called "Heff" in real life too ( My family calls me John, but they can get away with it because they are blood and I'd surely be suspect if they mysteriously disappeared.

( JOKE )

Anyway those who are familiar with my posts likely see me as a fairly high strung guy. If not? Then I'll just spill the beans. I am a pretty high strung guy. I've got a rapid metabolism and that tends to give me a lot of energy. Energy that needs to be utilized or exerted.

Thus boredom is a very uncomfortable state... it's like overcharging a battery. If I sit her long enough I might just start leaking acid or possibly my head could explode ( Joke again )

Usually, when I find myself in this state, I come to BTS, pick a pet peeve, and rant. It's a great release and others usually seem to relate, find humor in it, or both. So it's usually a good thing. Only tonight, I opened this window and realized... I'm currently out of things to rant about! GASP!

Now I don't want to cause any undo hyperbole or stress... but I am fairly certain that at least 8 Old Testament passages, 2 Mayan prophecies, and at least one ancient Egyptian papyrus discuss this in great detail and warn of just where me being bored ends up leading. This now has me wondering if I am not the root cause of 2012 predictions the world over ( JOKE AGAIN ).

The odd part is that, in some bizarre and twisted, self-inflicted ritual of boredom.... I am actually actively trying to figure out things TO BE mad about! You know... so that I can write a scathing and somewhat universal diatribe upon an "everyday Joe" subject that touches upon many of our lives and might generate some awesome member participation. So think, think, think..

And I come up with nothing.

And coming up with nothing starts to really frustrate me. That frustration leads to anger. And BAM! I've got my rant!

I AM ANGRY BECAUSE I HAD NO GOOD REASON AT ALL TO BE ANGRY AND I WANTED TO WRITE ABOUT BEING ANGRY DAMNIT!

The only conundrum? Once I managed to get myself angry enough to have something to rant about? It made me feel relieved and happy - thus negating my righteous rantless rant!

And now that I realize that my anger was undone by my relief over the reality that I'd found something to actually be angry about. Guess what?

ANGRY ABOUT THAT NOW!

We all know that I take special happy pills to offset the invisible scars that cover the inside of my brain. That's a fun way of saying "Heff has issues!". So I must consider that in looking at all this from a rational standpoint.

But is this a unique experience to me? I think not. I've been married twice and lived with five or six other women during my lifetime and I've watched them engage in very similar behavior. Especially when I was right!

Baby you need to get up off your butt and put the trash out. You know that they come on Monday mornings...

Honey, I did that four hours ago! It's all gravy!

OH DON''T YOU BE SMUG WITH ME MISTER!!!

What is it about us that makes us this way? This enjoyment of being irked or angry? Why is it so much damned fun to be righteously P.O'd???

I mean I could watch a movie... or read a book... or participate in threads... or see if a 46 year old man doing cartwheels in the dark is a good idea or not. ( Hello, 911... you're not going to believe this. But my neighbor is laying in his front yard, in a weird position, and I"m pretty sure his leg is wrapped around his torso..."

And yet, I find peace just sitting here ranting about having nothing at all to rant about.

Has anyone else here ever experienced this surreal sort of emotional boredom before? Can you relate? I'm mad that I've got nothing to be mad about!

Maybe this is like the whole vacation thing. You work for x number of months to get to your vacation. And for a day or two it's all awesome. But after that? Ya basically sit around watching the clock, thinking "Man I can't wait to get back to work!"

Then, two days into being back at work you're in the breakroom telling Ted and Susan that you're so sick of the place and cannot wait for your next vacation!\

Some would say that what I am saying is that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. But that's not really it at all.

I think what I am saying is that I might be one of those folks who wants to straddle the fence and have one foot on each side of it. I think I loathe having to choose.

Besides, if I straddle the fence, then I can complain about the grass on both sides of it!

Great... now I've made myself happy again. D'oh!

~Heff

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Can't you sleep whilst it's scanning?
edit on 9-10-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

I could, but my real life situations often require me to be awake at night. So I've adapted to that schedule. And I've never been one who could nap. If I lay down, it's for at least 6 hours - always.

I'm actually thinking about rebooting into Ubuntu and playing a game I have installed on that OS. But even that seems kind of blah to me currently.

Good game though. PTS game called Warzone2100 I believe.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Angry about not having anything to be angry about....yeah...that pretty much sums up me when I'm bored. I have this annoying need to always have something to complain about...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Well youve finally fallen right off your rocker.. welcome.

I know whats wrong you know.. I have this club that can help you out. Problem is.. you cant talk about this club.. thats the first rule.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I have a crush on your Halloween avatar....

GREAT! Distracted from my goal of pointless rage once again!

~Heff

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

I got back from my psychologist today. She's worried that my ADs are interrupting my psychological process, we withg my doc, we've decided to drop the dose of my AD's.

I'm not complaining. It's no fun when your fingers are wiggling, your eyes twitching, your legs feel like a bubbling pot of meat and bones. So this hopefully helps.

But as it was yet another inevitable day of sheer mania confused with a self limiting understanding of my thought processes and how I often fuse thoughts with emotions, it's left me having a few wines to suppliment the GOD DAMNED FEROCIOUS ANXIETY trashing inside me.

I sit here, looking at my glass... almost over flowing, how anxious I am to get more in than waste time, or what seems to make a logical situation. I promised her, my psychologist, I wouldn't drink. Not because a promise broke to her means I am less, but because a promise to me has been broken.

I hope mr tread doesn't find me overly offensive this night. I never mean to blurt out random crap, but it seems to appear regardless. As much as I can focu my thoughts right now, another drink is all I need to remedy this aloofness.

turn me back into that guy... I hate that guy... everyone does.

I have plenty to rant about, why do I always choose things about the telly...

edit on 9-10-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by Advantage

I have a crush on your Halloween avatar....

GREAT! Distracted from my goal of pointless rage once again!

~Heff

Can i marry your brain ? lol
(national treasure quote btw in case people wonder)

Love your rant threads

edit on 10/9/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I'm so glad you're back from wherever you were!

Very glad to have met ya!

You da man!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
I'm so glad you're back from wherever you were!

Very glad to have met ya!

You da man!

He was completing my training in the forest
but no one is supose to know that !

he is the first one to have 10/10 everywhere

never though i would meet a bad ass like Heff
hes da man indeed

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Dont those files scroll by slowly

I'm often CLEANING pc's for my friends and they always ask "But where did it come from????"
In the early days I used to have a look at what they'd been looking at or downloading so that when the question was asked I might have an answer. I very quickly stopped looking!!!
The stuff I saw shocked me, I never knew some of my friends were like that........but each to his own as they say.
Now, I just set the scanners rolling and wait. Boot up and do a few quick checks, then hand the box back. The less I know the easier it is to keep a straight face

I never cease to be amazed at how many people have no protection on their pc's

top topics

join