The Occupy Movement has fizzled out

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
This is a bit long, even by my standards..but I put thought into every last word if that matters.

Occupy isn't a good thing to see die out. It was the last chance. The last real hope for change or...long term..for peace.

The right tried it. We, on this side, founded The Tea Party Movement. It lasted...for awhile...then got bought out, brought down to the same stuffy shirt political meeting type that most movements become as they pass into irrelevance. How active is the TPM? It's a few weeks before what may be THE defining election of our lifetimes. Has anyone even heard them on a major protest or gathering that wasn't tediously planned and properly permitted to the enth degree the precise number of days required in advance?

None? Yeah.. Me either. I've not heard the NAME referenced outside of punch lines and has been stories for a couple months. I'm sure they exist before someone posts half a dozen pictures and 20 links....but the fact I don't even know it without hunting for it means TPM utterly failed.

Next.. came Occupy. The answer from the left. ...and let's all be clear, having been on BOTH sides and lived with Occupy, I can say this and know it as fact. The problems WERE THE SAME. The things both sides were looking to solve were the same issues and the same 'injuries', albeit felt and expressed in radically different ways.

IF PEOPLE HAD STOPPED FRIGGEN HATING LONG ENOUGH TO LISTEN INSTEAD OF YELL OVER EACH OTHER THEY WOULD HAVE SEEN THEY WERE FIGHTING FOR THE SAME DAMN THING. (deep heavy sigh)

Occupy lasted longer than TPM, I'll give them that. I was involved with misc support stuff for several weeks before and after living with the St Louis Occupy camp in Oct 2011. They had energy, vision...and absolutely NO sense of organization, leadership or responsibility for the actions of the group as a whole. Despite that, they kicked ass and I'd dare any conservative to say they didn't....for at least a short time. They shook things up and absolutely raised the level of debate and awareness of more than just Middle Class and Rich as sides to America.

Sadly..and damn this system to hell...they got bought out too. $500,000 dropped into New York's OWS Primary camp changed a lot didn't it? It wasn't very long after that where you saw the VICIOUS defense of the park become something less of a priority and spreading to the second location became a great idea. Divided, OWS fell for the in-place presence.
I know OWS leadership are still doing well...but I wonder how that's working for the hundreds who were supported by the camp? Yeah.... I'll bet not so much too.

and as this thread so accurately notes....Occupy has reached the same place as TPM. They exist, I'm sure, but the fact I have to dig to find it means they too, utterly failed.

-

So.....That's been the citizen level and grass roots ...TRUE grass roots..of both the Right and the Left. Both tried, and both died in spirit if not name. Again....just a few weeks out from the fork in our American road which WILL define the next few generations...and neither group makes a headline or even the conscious thought of Main Street.

Where do we all go now? When neither side can get a thing working without being corrupted from above. When the regular citizens of both political camps have tried with all their heart to change just a little....anything....and been stomped. Equally...and totally. What is left?

That's what makes me the saddest about how Occupy fell apart. I really think as the second of the two attempts....it was the last chance people give a REAL peaceful protest effort. It was the last, best chance I think America had in general terms.

Now I'll bet I've pissed off both sides with this one... Flame away. I don't care. On this topic, I feel like I went from the high of my life in Occupy, being a part of change as it happened.......to sitting like a man waiting for a relative to pass away. It's waiting for the collapse and change in the worst, hardest and ugliest way mankind can ever see it come. We had a chance... We threw it away. Twice... Now the storm is almost upon us. It's gonna be a bad one...and it didn't have to be. Lets at least hope...it turns out to be a short one.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I happen to 100% agree with you on this one Wrabbit. True grass roots get co-opted fast in this day and age. They get infiltrated, portrayed incorrectly in media, Taken over by larger interests. It's like Wal Mart level politics. The big guys come into town and kill main street.

One side of me says it's to bolster their own party numbers.

Another side of me says they recognize the danger to the illusion of a two party system if a powerful third party emerges - so they attack.

The reality is probably a bit of both.

~Heff
edit on 10/9/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JimIrie

Just to make things clear, OWS was an attempt at a revolution, it was a copy of all the revolutions going on in the countries in Europe, US had nothing to do with the revolutions going on in other countries. In fact I've heard alot of people say that OWS was just a distraction from what was really going on this year. So no, OWS did not wake people up. It did nothing. I'm not sure where you get your sources from but its obvious you figure that OWS started all the other revolutions going on globally. So before you reply to this message do some research please.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Occupy has changed into something different, smaller groups focused on different things still very much about raising awareness against economic oppression. However, much like the TPM you won't hear about them in major media unless it's attached to something negative. Neither movement is dead, not by far and both are still grass roots... TPM had their candidates elected but they turned around and betrayed the movement, that doesn't turn it astro turf it just means there were those not true to the cause. Occupy can only be deemed as co-opted by the uniformed, it never has been... not even close.

Solidarity to those that stand up to the status quo.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Hi wrabbit, this is of course my opinion. OWS was not truly a grass roots movement, that was sort of the point I was trying to get at. Though their numbers have dwindled, I am sure they are back in the planning stages at the current moment. I dont think this is the last we'll see of the occupy movement.

The reason I say it was not a true grass roots movement, and neither was Egypt for that matter, is that it required months, if not years of planning beforehand for political purposes. In the case of Egypt and similar in other countries, the end result was that of Hosnei Mubarak being ousted from power by, it was organized in advanced by left leaning groups and think tanks like code pink using social media.

Case and point, from day one a very large percentage of the boots on the ground were labor unions. It would be alot easier to organize a movement for a Union boss to circulate emails down the chain of command. If it were are true grass roots movement, the unions would not have not even showed up, yet in the case of OWS, they were present from day one. But since their is nothing going on currently with the Unions, there is virtually no occupy presence and thats why occasionally we are seeing some smaller protests that use the occupy banner, but they often fail and remain very unorganized. Recently occupiers did show up in larger numbers alongside with the teachers union, but notice that if the unions are not present, there is virtually no movement or presence of occupy to speak of.

A true grassroots movement, would be a lot harder to organize, and even harder to break apart. In areal grass roots movement, the unions would not even show up. As I said, I dont think this is the last well see of occupy by any means, just at the moment, there is no organization because the unions are not currently pushing anything.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I think the OWS thing fizzled due to predictable, MTV generation short attention span.
It was fun for a while, then they got bored and went off to the next thing that grabbed their fancies.

Never fear, though. When they get bored enough with their new phones or whatever, they'll be back.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I wonder what happened to all of the money that OWS raised? At one point I believe that they had over a half of a million dollars and that was just the group in New York city.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

That money was filtered back through it's primary source of donations, George Soros via the Alliance for Global Justice. Sure, Soros wasn't the only contributor of funds, but he was the one pulling all the strings to begin with. When Occupy became 501c it was Soros behind it all, and thats who the money was returned to. There are some news articles about it from a while back when the Occupy movement started to fizzle last year. A lot of occupiers were upset about it, however Soros was the one pulling all the puppet strings to begin with. Soros then used the money by sending it to places like Nicaragua and also by funding the drug cartels and illegal drug trafficking around the world.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

And you think they would have had any trouble arming themselves if their intended to turn violent? If a nutjob like James Holmes can order 7,000 rounds of ammo online, surely more than a few Occupy protesters could have brought a gun to any one of the hundreds of events they've organized

There are alot of inconsistencies with the story of James Holmes.
First, his mug shot, does not seem to be the same James Holmes that lived and walked the earth.
Second, the story stated that his gun jammed as ar15s often do, due to a 100 round drum, however the picture from the crime scene does not show a 100 round drum attached, instead it shows a 30 round magazine.
Third there are reports that Holmes suffered some type of amnesia as documented by some of the prison guards and staff.
Fourth, he appears sedated and drugged in the court room, then the media was blocked access to the court rooms.

The list goes on of course, like why would he wear bullet proof armor and a gas mask and then peacefully surrender? Why after peacefully surrendering would he notify the authorities of a very elaborate maze of booby traps that were set up in his apartment?

There are alot of things that don't add up. But for the record, I have seen some evidence that the real James Holmes who lived and walked the earth attending different Occupy rallies in the San Diego area.
edit on 9-10-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

We've discussed that many times and you were proven wrong every time (I think you're deliberately baiting here) about Soros funding Occupy. Do you have any proof of your claim that money was filtered back to a source it never came from? I'm pretty sure you came up with that off the top of your head, you sound so sure of yourself as to be misleading. That is not not honest of you to do. How is it that you can find yourself so morally superior when you are doing something as disgusting as lying? And to throw James Homes into it as the media did, and quickly backtracked on, just like they did with Jared Loughner and the TPM? Do you see what you are condoning?
edit on 9-10-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Its an old article, so I dont have it handy, but there is also a thread about where the funds went in result of the 501c. I did not author the thread however so it will be harder for me to find. I will look for it and post it if I can find it.

You can disagree with me, without calling me a liar.

I was just putting my two cents on the James Holmes comment. It really has nothing to do with this thread though.
edit on 9-10-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Occupy died because it got rich and the leaders had to try to figure out how to get the money for themselves. Sounf familiar???

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Occupy's 'nerve center' staffed by Soros activists

Since 1992, “Buy Nothing Day” has been sponsored annually by the Vancouver-based Media Foundation, which publishes Adbusters.

Adbusters magazine is reported to have come up with the Occupy Wall Street idea after Arab Spring protests toppled governments in Egypt, Libya and Tunisia. The Adbusters website serves as a central hub for Occupy’s planning.

Working with the Ruckus Society, Shan was a leader of the 1999 World Trade Organization protests in Seattle that turned violent. Ruckus helped to spark those riots.

Ruckus is directly tied to Occupy. WND previously reported how official direct-action training resources for recent Occupy events include several manuals from the Ruckus Society, which trains radical activists in “direct action” techniques.

Ruckus was also listed as a “friend and partner” of the Occupy Days of Action held last month.

Ruckus is funded by the Tides Center, which has been involved in Occupy since the movement’s onset.

Another grantee of Tides is the Adbusters magazine. MoveOn.org, which has joined Occupy, is funded by Tides.

$3.6 Million from Soros Backs 'Occupy Wall Street'

Organizations that joined the protesters were granted more than $3.6 million from Soros’s Open Society Foundations. On Oct. 5 there was a “march in solidarity with #occupywallstreet” that listed seven such groups out of the 16 overall supporting the protest. Those seven organizations received $3,614,690 from Soros’ Open Society Foundations since the year 2000, with more than $2 million going to Common Cause Education Fund, part of Common Cause, and another $1.1 million to MoveOn.org.

Read more: newsbusters.org...

Meet the radical laft wing group handling Occupy Wall Street Protests

The Nicaragua Network is one of the Alliance’s four “core” projects, but it also funds a variety of extreme leftist organizations and efforts. Courage to Resist, for instance, encourages American soldiers to “resist illegal war” through tactics that include “going AWOL” and “publicly refusing to fight.”
Another Alliance-backed project, The World Can’t Wait, was founded by members of the Revolutionary Communist Party to oppose the Bush administration. With Bush’s successor in office, its mission statement has shifted to “stop[ping] the fascist direction initiated by the Bush Regime.”
Given the radical nature of many of its projects, it is perhaps unsurprising that the Alliance receives money from a host of progressive individuals and organizations. Chief among them is George Soros’s Open Society Institute, which has given the group $100,000.
The AFGJ has also received tens of thousands of dollars from the Foundation for Deep Ecology, which holds “the emphasis upon economic growth as a panacea” to be “fundamentally incompatible with ecological or biological sustainability.” It is explicitly anti-economic growth, in other words.
Much hay has been made over organizations and individuals that have endorsed the Occupy protests. They include the American Nazi Party, the government of North Korea, the Islamic terrorist group Hezbollah, and Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Kohmeini. But the Occupy folks have no control over who endorses or voices support for them.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Must be easy to sit around and mock others in hipocritical and condescending ways.

It must be even easier to sit around and do nothing while damning those who are.

It must be an easy life to sit back and let politicians pass legislature that strips away your rights.

It must be easy to sit around and watch the country burn while you mock those who are attempting to extinguish the flames.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

IF PEOPLE HAD STOPPED FRIGGEN HATING LONG ENOUGH TO LISTEN INSTEAD OF YELL OVER EACH OTHER THEY WOULD HAVE SEEN THEY WERE FIGHTING FOR THE SAME DAMN THING. (deep heavy sigh)

Where do we all go now? When neither side can get a thing working without being corrupted from above. When the regular citizens of both political camps have tried with all their heart to change just a little....anything....and been stomped. Equally...and totally. What is left?

"Divide and conquer" is their oldest and most effective tool. What really bothers me is that if, as I suspect, the current power structures are swept away when the bill of unsustainable living comes due, the survivors will still be saddled with these carefully cultivated divisions. Ugh.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Great post Wrabbit. Makes sense. I've seen the same thing in other countries: make pay outs, fracture the group, misinform, demonize, ignore. Back to the same old same old.

My question is how does one break that cycle? How do you bullet proof the effort? Especially with such a large complacent population? I guess some have to be at the point of utter hopelessness before they start thinking ahead.

But I'm afraid figuring this all out as you enter the concentration camp on the box car, your fate is out of your decision cycle. I am not implying the US is Nazi Germany, just illustrating a point.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RomeByFire

It's not always easy.

Sometimes my hands get sore from typing to much.

Sometimes my head aches from thinking too much.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The fact that the Occupy Movement fizzled out is the reason I didn't have much respect for it in the first place. I recognized that the willpower was ephemeral, that it would undermine the chances of future projects with similar designs working as effectively as they might have, the motivations were fickle and superficial, and the people were unreliable and undetermined.

It was largely meaningless and showy, and that much was clear from the start. Maybe next time, we'll have participants who plan to see it through to the end.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb

Hi wrabbit, this is of course my opinion. OWS was not truly a grass roots movement, that was sort of the point I was trying to get at. Though their numbers have dwindled, I am sure they are back in the planning stages at the current moment. I dont think this is the last we'll see of the occupy movement.

I appreciate the thoughtful reply to what I wrote. I'd like to address a couple points you raise from the perspective of being in the middle of some of it from Occupy's side of things. First, I can only say with absolute certainty what I saw and learned as a part of my St Louis Camp. I saw and was watching message traffic and the start of national networking and communications between the camps..but it was just so fledgling at that point and never did properly take hold how I think it could and should have.

In that, you find one of many examples of where I say Occupy WAS Grass roots. They couldn't even get effective communications gear. We were using FMRS Radios *I* supplied the camp and it would have been screaming for Safety and media people without them. Umm.. If Soros was writing checks, St Louis damn sure didn't make HIS list..and we could have used anything, regardless of who it came from. At the time.... it ALL helped.

The reason I say it was not a true grass roots movement, and neither was Egypt for that matter, is that it required months, if not years of planning beforehand for political purposes.

Honeycomb... I'll tell ya. I became aware of Occupy before it even had that name and it was just 'a movement' being formed among Anonymous and groups like the People's Liberation Front. This was all visible if you were in the right parts of the net in June, July and August....and Occupy wouldn't come to exist as something anyone publicly new until September. I don't know where this Canadian firm everyone talks about fits in....because there were no civilized business folk among those I read planning the rise of Occupy to start with the occupation of Lower Manhattan (They wisely abridged that gawdy plan to just be one park...LOL).

I feel like I was right there watching this from the word go..and even *I* still can't explain in solid terms...just what happened. I can absolutely tell you *I* was paid by no one. *I* took nothing from anyone and had no 'guidance', I witnessed the horror of the Site 2 raid in Boston on October 11th. That and a HARD vow of NOT AGAIN had me in camp with a couple thousand dollars to help things along and all the energy I could bring inside a week.

That is how MOST of Occupy built, as I saw it personally. Individuals who just said NO MORE...and saw this as a possible route to get it done.

In the case of Egypt and similar in other countries, the end result was that of Hosnei Mubarak being ousted from power by, it was organized in advanced by left leaning groups and think tanks like code pink using social media.

True..and so? I knew who I was with in Occupy and it couldn't be missed that I had Communists and Black Bloc Anarchists among the camp I was living in. I called every last one a friend too. IF we'd gotten anywhere...THEN we could have sorted out those larger differences. Just GETTING that far would make any alliance of necessity worth it.

Case and point, from day one a very large percentage of the boots on the ground were labor unions. It would be alot easier to organize a movement for a Union boss to circulate emails down the chain of command. If it were are true grass roots movement, the unions would not have not even showed up, yet in the case of OWS, they were present from day one.

The Unions as I saw it happen absolutely were trying to control Occupy and DID succeed in some places. They failed in others. The Republicans also tried to curry influence and control early. Ask Geraldo how that worked out.
So did the Dems..and they TOO got rejected. OH that pissed them off so bad I think a couple almost BURST when they got back into private settings. Occupy was everyone's 'cause' of the moment to co-opt and *EVERYONE* tried that I watched happen. Eventually, yeah... OWS Primary fell to the cash..but as noted, they lasted longer as TRUE Grass Roots citizens than TPM did, for what it's worth.

A true grassroots movement, would be a lot harder to organize, and even harder to break apart.

I think it's precisely because it was true grass roots for MOST of the camps and people...that it was so easy to break up. A well organized, funded and planned Movement would never have been spread out and broken up so easily and quickly. Thats what it looks like when Citizens even try and resist. It's suppressed, Whatever that takes.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

More lies. Not just lies, ridiculous lies.
WND, really?

I could easily refute your claims. I have tons of links to articles and websites that will prove wrong. It would take me two seconds to do it, but I'm not going to...

Instead, I challenge you to look up Tides directly, Ruckus Society directly, AdBusters directly, Occupywallst.org and then make a logical argument for your claims. I would like for you to explain to me how an organization such as Tides is bad, what exactly do they do wrong and how do they do it.

Until then, in my opinion, you are a perpetrator of lies.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join