Curiosity rover detects bright object on surface of Mars...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Looks like a Crustacean... The Aussies got there first and didn't clean up after they'd had their "Shrimp On The Barbie".
A petrified bottom feeder.... If your planet drys out, wouldn't they be the last thing standing? Not forgetting extremophiles...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

yup ecdysis exuviae

something is moulting on mars

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I vote plastic because thats what it looks like or some of the coating scraped off the probe somewhere

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Maybe it could be an insect Pupa case .

There does appear to be an exit hole at the thick end so Martian Insect maybe .... mystery Methane levels accounted for

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I could be wrong but think its part of the rover. Curiosity was scooping and vibrating the material in an attempt to discard any overfill. The vibrations may have caused loose material to fall from the rover.

Curiosity's First Scoopful of Mars This video clip shows the first Martian material collected by the scoop on the robotic arm of NASA's Mars Curiosity rover, being vibrated inside the scoop after it was lifted from the ground on Oct. 7, 2012. The clip includes 256 frames from Curiosity's Mast Camera, taken at about eight frames per second, plus interpolated frames to run at actual speed in this 32-frames-per-second version. The scoop was vibrated to discard any overfill. Churning due to vibration also serves to show physical characteristics of the collected material, such as an absence of pebbles. The scoop is 1.8 inches (4.5 centimeters) wide, 2.8 inches (7 centimeters) long. www.nasa.gov...

They did stop the arm activities and are concentrating on images of the object in question.

10.08.2012 Checking a Bright Object on the Ground View of Curiosity's First Scoop Also Shows Bright Object This image from the right Mast Camera (Mastcam) of NASA's Mars rover Curiosity shows a scoop full of sand and dust lifted by the rover's first use of the scoop on its robotic arm. Curiosity's first scooping activity appeared to go well on Oct. 7. Subsequently, the rover team decided to refrain from using the rover's robotic arm on Oct. 8 due to the detection of a bright object on the ground that might be a piece from the rover. Instead of arm activities during the 62nd Martian day, or sol, of the mission, Curiosity is acquiring additional imaging of the object to aid the team in identifying the object and assessing possible impact, if any, to sampling activities. Sol 62, in Mars local mean solar time at Gale Crater, will end at 12:23 a.m. Oct. 9, PDT (3:23 a.m., EDT) mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Should have more images soon.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Looks like the bottom portion is folded over to the right at over 90 degrees and the upper central region has a burn or wear mark across it about the size of a small gauge wire. Probably a tie down from the rover for one of its cords or wire harnessing.

All the sandy grains in the image have finer dust coating it also but the object does not share that same characteristic. Conclusion is it fell of the rover.
edit on 9-10-2012 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
An earth volcano blasted crap into space and it landed on Mars a long time ago. Doesn't look like a part of the rover to me, although maybe it was in the packing material
Could also be something that someone dropped in the desert where they have the backup rover. The real rover didn't make it and they needed to coverup their waste of money. It appears that even the scientists at NASA don't have a clue, they think it's on Mars.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Here's what I see.

edit on 9-10-2012 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Staroth

The rock on the bottom left looks like it has sea fossils in it also.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Didn't even notice, I was so taken by the "thing". Thanks!
edit on 9-10-2012 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Looks like a shrimp

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I haven't read all of the posts yet, but this is very intriguing.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a little brighter in this:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

bottom middle silver in color.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by paratus
Looks like a shrimp

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

A tiny one, when compared to the coarse sand grains around it.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

That is my first impression.
It looks like an insect or something shed its skin or shell, based on the hollowed-out looking end.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The "thing" occupies roughly 75 pixels. Good luck trying to work out what it is.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by paratus
Looks like a shrimp

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

A tiny one, when compared to the coarse sand grains around it.

It makes sense that it would be small in order to to conserve water and resources.
Maybe they come up to the surface to molt, pupate or procreate.
Then return to the underground water for feeding...
Evolution would necessitate a small stature ans I DO see a mouthpart.
Mouth anterior, tail posterior.
Not peculiar at all, rather natural (in Earth terms)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
"NASA say the object might be a part of the six-wheeled rover"

I am not going to hazard a guess of what the object is, but I don't think it is part of the Rover. The Rover was not damaged during the landing according to NASA; and if it was a tie down it I would think it would have more of a symetrical shape. Nasa saying that it "might" be part of the rover raises a red flag for me, and hints that they really don't know what they have in the scoop. Normally I would have expected for NASA to say that it just another rock - but they did not, making this an especially intereting 'find' ...stay tuned.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It does look like a shriveled up bug. But it could have fallen off the rover too, but not be part of the rover. I've seen many images with small pebbles and dirt spread on the top of the rover from when it made it's decent and the rockets on the sky crane kicked up dirt, dust and debris that landed on it. So it could be a rock from the landing region that the rover carried with it, and it fell of when it stopped.

Also it could be something that stuck to one of the rover tires and fell of when it stopped as well.

I haven't read anywhere that the item only showed up after the scoop picked up a load of dirt, so I assumed that the item was there before the scoop was activated or at least before the actual scooping of dirt. So it could have been some piece of debris kicked up by the sky crane that was lodged in the scoop arm somewhere and it fell of when activated.

I also wanted to mention that for the user openyourmind1262 to have such a user name, they sure are close minded...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

No I don't. Your not American are you? If your not, aint your damn money being wasted, is it? I did mention our TWO OCCUPATIONS of others countries. War is when you have a proven enemy that actually fights you back. Not a fecticious made up enemy. Some on here are saying this is part of the Rover. Well if these are the folks who are gonna build that ship that gets us off this rock, I think I'll stay. What did they do out source it.

Just like going to the moon. If you even beleive that. You know what we got from all that? ROCKS lots & lots of rocks. Just like now. ROCKS & more rocks. Some dirt, a sqiggly fish like, shrimp rock. I just find it amazing folks really beleive this crap. For all we know the rocket carrying this Rover after all the fuss about lift off just dropped it in the ocean somewhere. And we'll never find that out because we don't spend money to explore our biggest resource. The worlds oceans. Got to ask yourself why? Keep looking up, all the while the world around you crumbles away.NASA is a freaking joke. It's just a money funnell allways has been.

It's called a beleif. And it's one I don't beleive in. WE aint gonna make far enough to use up our resources, we'll kill each other off long before that day arrives. Have a great day. How about if you live near a ocean, go there abd simply look out at the vastness of it all. Then look up at where Mars should be. Which do you think holds more benefeit for mankind, the worlds oceans or Mars? Which is the more cost effective to explore? Which one is just right outside our door?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join