It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity rover detects bright object on surface of Mars...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
The object shown in the images COULD be a rock which is why its important, parts of a rover do not just fall off, well lets hope NASA hasnt gotten that shoddy. Keep in mind mars is arid or having no rain and cant support life. Rocks here on earth are shiny like this in the same climates when minerals create a sheen like surface on the rock from a glaze or varnish that can preserve organic compounds or biological traces of life. This rock could contain evidence of life in the past on Mars and why NASA would not disturb the rock. Give NASA time to dig up a new rover to analyze the specimen further. This is PAYDIRT in geology terms and the Curiosity rover lacks the instrumentation to study the rock so the next rover will target that same spot with the right analytical tools since a discovery like this could be a potential gold mine.

Its not that it is "shiny" that is important, its what if anything is under the shine that is of interest.

Here is a great link to read more about the life cycle of glaze formation on desert rocks which is an arid climate much like mars. Rock Coatings
edit on 9-10-2012 by tigpoppa because: Science!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I can see the fish resemblance, it looks like a gourami.

www.petinfoclub.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
It looks to be a piece of the stuff they used tied a lot of the cables together with; as seen in this photo: www.nasa.gov... There's actually quite a bit of that stuff on the rover.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Looks like a messed up tiger prawn.
2nd.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I thought shrimp when I saw it, it has a classic cresent shape to it, an the fact that its atleast 3 to 4 inches long and half an inch to inch wide.

lion tooth, prawn, petrified turd, or it's a banana from the set crew...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Did Howard from the Big Bang Theory help build that thing? So NASA thinks it's part of the Rover. What's the Rover made out of.....Rocks. I'm still flabbergasted that folks beleive there's a Rover on Mars. And that that Rover is digging up whatever the hell that is. Sure as hell looks like a rock. And where the hell is the "shiny" part.

IMHO, there's no Rover. No Mars fish. No mars anything. All the worlds damn problems and we seem to find the money to piss away on such BS as this. Whhat the hell do we expect to find on Mars? A new energy for all mankind? How we getting it back here. A new medicine maybe? How we getting it back here? Our roads are decaying, our bridges are crumbleing, our schools are a freaking mess, Homeless veterans sleeping under those crumbleing bridges, two occupations that cost about a billion a week to maintain.

Yea we sure as hell got our priorities straight. Let out world crumble away why we look at the pretty pictures of Mars? And speculate " What is that a fish" It's a damn rock, and there's plenty more of them around. Hell they could have come to my house and took all the damn rock pics thay wanted. All for $19.95 a pic. So keep looking up as the world around you crumbles away. And if it's a fish, it died in a rock slide.
edit on 9-10-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by dayve
ahhhaha its a rock..... or whatever the hell that stuff is all over the place..

Since when was rocks partly transparent??
You clearly just one of those who has to debunk everything without providing even a simple explanation.
This borders on trolling imo.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moneyisgodlifeisrented
I thought shrimp when I saw it, it has a classic cresent shape to it, an the fact that its atleast 3 to 4 inches long and half an inch to inch wide.

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

For scale, the scoop is 1.8 inches (4.5 centimeters) wide, 2.8 inches (7 centimeters) long.

Isn’t the bright object smaller than the scoop?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

Seeing that the footage isn't exactly high def, I can't be sure what I'm looking at. Could it be something truly alien? Sure. Could it be part of Curiosity? Yes.

When the video showed the "symmetrical" mouth/opening with the lines running through on each side makes me believe this is a man made object. By that, I mean made by machinery here on Earth for Curiosity. Exactly where it fits on Curiosity I wouldn't know. But it just looks to me like something machined like we do here back on Earth.

Am I saying this is what it is? No. I'm just offering my best guess.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

Mica is a transparent rock, it was used in some of the first cars instead of glass.

There are more translucent rocks.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

Originally posted by dayve
ahhhaha its a rock..... or whatever the hell that stuff is all over the place..

You clearly just one of those who has to debunk everything without providing even a simple explanation.
This borders on trolling imo.

Quartz is partly transparent. So is halite (salt). So are a lot of other crystalline rocks.

I'm not saying it's quartz; I don't know what it is. I'm just answering your question where you asked:
Since when was rocks partly transparent??"

EDIT TO ADD: ArMap beat me to it.

edit on 10/9/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by openyourmind1262

IMHO, there's no Rover. No Mars fish. No mars anything.

I'm thinking you still think the world is flat and the sun revolves around us?

All the worlds damn problems and we seem to find the money to piss away on such BS as this.

So the US War Machine spends a trillion dollars a year blowing people up and you are worried about a measily $2 billion being spent to further man's scientific knowledge?

Whhat the hell do we expect to find on Mars? A new energy for all mankind? How we getting it back here. A new medicine maybe? How we getting it back here?

Mankind is rapidly depleting the resources on this planet, if we do not move beyond Earth into our Solar System then mankind is on a fast-track to extinction.

Our roads are decaying, our bridges are crumbleing, our schools are a freaking mess, Homeless veterans sleeping under those crumbleing bridges, two occupations that cost about a billion a week to maintain.

Yea we sure as hell got our priorities straight. Let out world crumble away why we look at the pretty pictures of Mars? And speculate " What is that a fish" It's a damn rock, and there's plenty more of them around. Hell they could have come to my house and took all the damn rock pics thay wanted. All for $19.95 a pic. So keep looking up as the world around you crumbles away. And if it's a fish, it died in a rock slide.

Oooooooorrrr.....

We could stop spending over a TRILLION DOLLARS A YEAR killing people and redirect that into fixing all of the above? What do you seriously think the piddly $2 billion spent on this mission was going to fix anyway?

You have your priorities completely backwards mate.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I think its now a creature from Apollo 18, now we must crush all rocks on earth in an effort to protect us from killer rocks from outer space...

But honestly, ive looked at it a few times, it looks organic, i understand some things can appear such,but this is rather striking. Like the infamous face on mars...
edit on 9-10-2012 by Moneyisgodlifeisrented because: to add waldo...nowfindhim

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
It looks similar to seahorse

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf

Originally posted by Arken
Surely this anomaly seem out of place with the surrounding terrain.
Mole of Mars?
S&F.

NASA say the object might be a part of the six-wheeled rover

NASA, NASA, NASA.....

edit on 9-10-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

haha NASA are a funny lot.

excuses excuses

While I have no idea whether or not it is part of the rover, any good scientist SHOULD ask the question "Could this be part of the rover?"

It is absolutely imperative to consider all plausible possibilities when doing scientific research. To simply discard the idea that it could be the rover without first considering that possibility would be wrong.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Reminds me vaguely of a sea shell....

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl

Originally posted by Moneyisgodlifeisrented

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

For scale, the scoop is 1.8 inches (4.5 centimeters) wide, 2.8 inches (7 centimeters) long.

Isn’t the bright object smaller than the scoop?

Comparing it to the sand grains attached to the round gravel pieces, I think the object is no more than a couple of centimeters long.

It's certainly smaller than the scoop.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I am guessing that it is some part of Curiosity or of the contraption that it parachuted down from when separation occurred. It looks like a piece of one of the ties holding the cables together. Could that material have become brittle during temperature changes that occurred between the Earth and Mars and while on the planet? Most important to me, however, is that this anomaly is right on the surface of the ground in the photo taken before dirt was scooped. This, to me, implies that it was deposited there recently. If it had been on Mars prior to the Curiosity landing, it seems that the chances are high that it would have been buried or at least partially buried or topped with even a few flecks of Martian soil due to the wind on Mars. I predict with near certainty that this will be found to be a piece of the rover.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Maybe a larger silicone based type structure or organism exist below the MARS soil. Hope no miniatures were hurt
interesting find. I cannot understand why NASA would stop the dig because of this unless there is more to it or of them under the soil and they do not want to disturb as to prevent something coming up onto the rover image collector
Nice find OP
now they just got to send a rover into one of those large cave entrances with infrared lights as to not disturb
to get some more detailed (bio) data.

edit on 10/9/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
When I was a little boy 12-14 years of age. I could tell you the make of any North American car if I saw 5 square inches of any side back or front panel. So could my friends. We were car crazy and used to go to the showrooms and look at the new models when they came out and get the brochures and drool over them.. (Biggest thrill, an early 60s supercharged Stingray in the showroom.)

Those NASA guys are as rover crazy as I used to be car crazy. If they really don't know what this is, there are good odds that it is a Martian object.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join