It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity rover detects bright object on surface of Mars...

page: 23
<< 20  21  22   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by promenion
reply to post by ParanormalJessy

What would the fish be doing in a desert? Swimming in dirt? Martian Evolution.

I don't know about it being fish. But it could be fish like. Life finds a way we have seen that time and again. if there is a frozen ice layer many creatures may have adapted to living low and maybe surfacing for different stages of life.

Also we have found that often in low food and water source situations creatures get smaller. Even intelligent life forms shrink in a short time like the"Hobbits" did. We have no way of knowing the extent of this shrinking capacity of life forms.
For all we know historic story was speaking of tiny martians and we were the "giants" of the stories.
There could be tiny homes under rocks and humanoids gathering water ice for living anything IS possible!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by TheFlash

Originally posted by jomataur
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

That picture certainly looks like something the rover dropped. I'm going with that.

On the other hand, I just saw news that NASA's second scoop found more shiny stuff that appears to (the folks at NASA) to be Martian and not chunks of Curiosity.

So now they're going for scoop number three and an analysis of it.

Would you please explain what the specific attributes are in the photo(s) that cause you to conclude that this is "(certainly) something the rover dropped"? What are the characteristics, as you understand them, of 'things that the rover dropped'?

There is a teleconference starting in less than 10 minutes that will be giving a mission update (October 18, 3:00 PM EDT). Perhaps they will talk more about this first object (the one in the image in my post above) now that they had a bit more time investigate what it might be. In last week's telecon, they speculated it might be part of a plastic piece that is used to cover cable ends.

It is speculated that the bright objects in the second scoop may be native to Mars, considering they have sand attached to them.

Anyway, here is a link to the telecon (starts at 3:00 U.S. Eastern Time, 1800 UT -- which is real soon). Maybe they'll know more then.

marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 10/18/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

The new objects look very much like small diamonds. From what i read they are not going to mention any tests done on the first "bright object" here. We are supposed to just take their word that is what it is.

On the other hand heating or chemical tests done on a plastic could contaminate all their apparatus for good maybe.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by bthek13b
reply to post by AmberLeaf

The "mouth"certainly looks manufactured but the rest seems at least "damaged"but i'm no expert.

There is no mouth:

Originally posted by FlySolo
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

That's remarkably clear.

Well in all fairness they did use " marks! The "mouth"certainly meaning the mouth like end clearly! the end that people pointed out as round fish mouth like in many posts.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

The new objects look very much like small diamonds. From what i read they are not going to mention any tests done on the first "bright object" here. We are supposed to just take their word that is what it is.

On the other hand heating or chemical tests done on a plastic could contaminate all their apparatus for good maybe.

During the telecon yesterday, they said they were not going to analyze it ("it" being the second bright object seen -- NOT the first plastic-looking object) with the SAM instrument, but I thought they DID say they would analyze it with the ChemCam.

One of the problems with analyzing it with the SAM (besides the problem you mentioned of potentially cooking plastic) is that the SAM analyzes the ENTIRE SCOOP -- it would not just analyze that single piece. The ChemCam can analyze JUST that one bright object.

The SAM returns a much more precise readout of the stuff in the dirt that ChemCam can, but ChemCam is able single out specific objects for analysis.

Again, I thought I heard John Grotzinger yesterday say they DID plan to use the ChemCam on that object, once they were ready to move the rover into position to do so, but maybe I misheard him.

edit on 10/19/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Anyone seen this new image of yet another piece of "plastic"?

(link in danish)
www.bt.dk...

I have not been able to find much on the picture. Googling for the picture:

(a.bimg.dk...)

Using google's "Seach by image":

long google url

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
If i were in control...

1st: I would NOT try to hide ANYTHING

2nd: I would NOT jepordize the sample (Analyze it in a hazardeous way)

3d: I would not SPECULATE on the origin OR what it IS..

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by pslind69

That's the new one they found and that they think is from Mars, whatever it may be.

You can see the original images here.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey
If i were in control...

1st: I would NOT try to hide ANYTHING

2nd: I would NOT jeapordize the sample (Analyze it in a hazardeous way)

3d: I would not SPECULATE on the origin OR what it IS..

So if thats what they will do then, Im thinking CONSPIRACY

edit on 2012/10/20 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I don't know about it being fish. But it could be fish like. Life finds a way we have seen that time and again. if there is a frozen ice layer many creatures may have adapted to living low and maybe surfacing for different stages of life.

Also we have found that often in low food and water source situations creatures get smaller. Even intelligent life forms shrink in a short time like the"Hobbits" did. We have no way of knowing the extent of this shrinking capacity of life forms.
For all we know historic story was speaking of tiny martians and we were the "giants" of the stories.
There could be tiny homes under rocks and humanoids gathering water ice for living anything IS possible!

Could you link to a story about tiny martians and us as "giants"? I'd like to read or watch a documentary if available, thanks!

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Could you link to a story about tiny martians and us as "giants"? I'd like to read or watch a documentary if available, thanks!

KK I will look for that when i get a chance busy ATM.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
This is the 3rd shiny object, the second one was in a piece of dirt in the other hole.

This video shows there is something behind it, i have no idea what this could be. It doesnt look like a rock, possibly another part of the rover, bu buried before it got there....??? lol

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf
This video shows there is something behind it, i have no idea what this could be.

I don't think it shows something behind it, it looks just like a "hot pixel". As the photo was resized it looks bigger than just one pixel, but in the original photos we can see that's just that.
edit on 21/10/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

What do you mean by resized?

The image was zoomed in, the pixel size isnt altered.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft

Looks like a Cicada / locust / Cricket wing or exo-skeleton

I ate one of those a few years back for $50 on a dare.It was not pleasant.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf
The image was zoomed in, the pixel size isnt altered.

The pixels size doesn't change, the apparent pixel size does.

What do you think happens when you zoom an image?

Edit: resized or zoomed it's the same thing if we consider only what we see on the screen.
edit on 21/10/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I have doubts about that myself, the Rover is too expensive to have its materials just coming off a month or two of being on Mars.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TehSlenderMan

I have doubts about that myself, the Rover is too expensive to have its materials just coming off a month or two of being on Mars.

The people at NASA have already said this bright object is probably not part of the rover, but rather something native to the Martian soil.

During the last press conference, they said it could possibly be a cleaved mineral with its flat face reflecting the light. They said they may use the ChemCam on that object to try to discern what it might be.

edit on 10/21/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: sppellling

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I want to know what Hogland says it is. Anyone here him talk about it yet?

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22   >>

join