It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity rover detects bright object on surface of Mars...

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

The "mouth"certainly looks manufactured but the rest seems at least "damaged"but i'm no expert.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by bthek13b
reply to post by AmberLeaf

The "mouth"certainly looks manufactured but the rest seems at least "damaged"but i'm no expert.

There is no mouth:

Originally posted by FlySolo
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

That's remarkably clear.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

That picture certainly looks like something the rover dropped. I'm going with that.

On the other hand, I just saw news that NASA's second scoop found more shiny stuff that appears to (the folks at NASA) to be Martian and not chunks of Curiosity.

So now they're going for scoop number three and an analysis of it.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jomataur

That picture certainly looks like something the rover dropped. I'm going with that.

On the other hand, I just saw news that NASA's second scoop found more shiny stuff that appears to (the folks at NASA) to be Martian and not chunks of Curiosity.

Would you please explain what the specific attributes are in the photo(s) that cause you to conclude that this is "(certainly) something the rover dropped"? What are the characteristics, as you understand them, of 'things that the rover dropped'?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFlash

Would you please explain what the specific attributes are in the photo(s) that cause you to conclude that this is "(certainly) something the rover dropped"? What are the characteristics, as you understand them, of 'things that the rover dropped'?

There is a teleconference starting in less than 10 minutes that will be giving a mission update (October 18, 3:00 PM EDT). Perhaps they will talk more about this first object (the one in the image in my post above) now that they had a bit more time investigate what it might be. In last week's telecon, they speculated it might be part of a plastic piece that is used to cover cable ends.

It is speculated that the bright objects in the second scoop may be native to Mars, considering they have sand attached to them.

Anyway, here is a link to the telecon (starts at 3:00 U.S. Eastern Time, 1800 UT -- which is real soon). Maybe they'll know more then.

marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 10/18/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I just listened to the Mars Rover update:
www.ustream.tv.../26248829

The first two scoops were dumped because they could be 'contaminated'. The third scoop which will be tested showed bright particles that they do not know what they are at this time. They have two hypothesis at this time that they called 'options'.

Option #1:
The bright objects (particles) are 'minerals' that are broken up with cleavage of flat surfaces that reflect light off a flat plane.

Option #2:
The bright objects (particles) are 'something' in the soil that was part of the soil forming process resulting in the generation of minerals.

Stay tuned, as these bright objects (gains/particles) are not part of the Rover per NASA.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I Think Maybe some kind of Fish. It appears Organic to me..Almost Fleshy. And the "Lips" Look fishlike as well. WEIRD.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
That is truly fascinating, please keep this thread updated.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ParanormalJessy

What would the fish be doing in a desert? Swimming in dirt? Martian Evolution.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Originally posted by Arken
Surely this anomaly seem out of place with the surrounding terrain.
Mole of Mars?
S&F.

NASA say the object might be a part of the six-wheeled rover

NASA, NASA, NASA.....

edit on 9-10-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

What is worse, is that people are willing to believe in extinct martian fish rocks are somehow worth fabricating evidence against.

Does this fish really break your entire world? Or could, NASA be just really incompetent. It's not like they've ever blown people up while trying to get into space.. Oh wait.

You hit the nail on the head. Summed up my thoughts exactly. Why would anyone spend so much energy trying to DISPROVE something that in no way should have any kind of a negative impact on them, or on anyone else?

It's just like people who still just blatantly deny the existence of aliens or believe that all UFO encounters are somehow complete hoaxes.

Time to open your mind and wake up!

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Hi,

CNN has this on the frontpage of cnn.com right now, reload cnn.com to see it.

lightyears.blogs.cnn.com...

"The majority of the science team felt that this might be something that is actually indigenous to Mars," he said.
edit on 19-10-2012 by Ronnie6657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by TheFlash

There is a teleconference starting in less than 10 minutes that will be giving a mission update (October 18, 3:00 PM EDT). Perhaps they will talk more about this first object (the one in the image in my post above) now that they had a bit more time investigate what it might be. In last week's telecon, they speculated it might be part of a plastic piece that is used to cover cable ends.

It is speculated that the bright objects in the second scoop may be native to Mars, considering they have sand attached to them.

Anyway, here is a link to the telecon (starts at 3:00 U.S. Eastern Time, 1800 UT -- which is real soon). Maybe they'll know more then.

marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 10/18/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

Based on your response you did not understand my questions. Would you like me to rephrase them or would you like to read them again and try to address the things I asked you?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TheFlash

I wasn't trying to answer your question as much as trying to point out that their was a telecon upcoming, and the bigger question as to "what is that object" may be addressed.

I personally don't care why another poster would "conclude that this is "(certainly) something the rover dropped". That's not relevant. I only care about what the piece may be, and I thought the might discuss it in yesterday's teleconference that I link for you.

I assumed you were interested in finding out definitively what the piece was, too; hence the reason for posting about the upcoming telecon.

However, they did not speak much about the details as to why the now believe that the FIRST object seen was a piece of plastic wire end during that teleconference. The spoke mainly of the new anomalous white objects. These new white objects ARE believed to be native to Mars.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Let's speculate a bit:

The newly found "shiny things" are UNKNOWN and new precious metals, which are worth more than diamonds, gold, platinum etc. altogether. Their worth is literally "out of this world".

Let's call it "Martium" - the new precious metal from Mars!

What would be the implications of such a discovery?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Ive converted EDT to GMT and i get 7pm tonight for the teleconference, am i wrong is it 6pm? i really want to watch it, or is it 6pm UT and 7GMT, oh im confused

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife
Ive converted EDT to GMT and i get 7pm tonight for the teleconference, am i wrong is it 6pm? i really want to watch it, or is it 6pm UT and 7GMT, oh im confused

It was yesterday at 6:00 PM GMT/UTC

They didn't talk much about the first light-colored object found (the plastic-looking object). They mainly talked about the new scooping analysis going on, and another bright object -- this one in the second scoop.

They feel the second bright-colored object may be native to the Martian soil -- possible a cleaved piece of mineral, with the flat face reflecting the light. They said they will use the ChemCam later to try to discern what the object is.
edit on 10/19/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by dcmb1409
Might be silica which the Spirit rover uncovered dragging a bad wheel and has a whitish color.

Mars Rovers Find "Best Evidence Yet" of Water - silica news.nationalgeographic.com...

And further North some time ago the Phoenix lander scooped up Martian soil and detected perchlorates or salt.

Mars Sprinkled with Salty Mysteries

www.space.com...

With so much dust its hard to tell.

Could be more ice..Since landing on May 25, Phoenix has been studying soil with a chemistry lab, TEGA, a microscope, a conductivity probe and cameras. Besides confirming the 2002 finding from orbit of water ice near the surface and deciphering the newly observed stickiness, the science team is trying to determine whether the water ice ever thaws enough to be available for biology and if carbon-containing chemicals and other raw materials for life are present. www.nasa.gov...

Im fairly sure water ice cant exist at the atmospheric pressure nasa claims is on mars, which is essentially a vacuum......

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Do you just "feel" that's true or do you have any scientific evidence proving it?

Yeah, thought so.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Im fairly sure water ice cant exist at the atmospheric pressure nasa claims is on mars, which is essentially a vacuum......

Two things:

1. The material that the Phoenix lander saw in that scooped trench in 2009 was in fact water ice. It was covered by soil, thus preventing it from sublimating away in the low atmospheric pressures of Mars. Once the ice was exposed by being uncovered by Phoenix's scoop, it began to sublimate. It disappeared in a few days.

NASA's Phoenix Lander Finds Ice on Mars

2. Things dissolved in the water can allow even LIQUID water to persist on Mars for some time. Some water may have salts dissolved in them which helped prevent the water from turning to vapor. The Phoenix Lander found droplets of what was probably liquid saline water condensed onto its landing struts.

Liquid Saline Water on Mars

EDIT TO ADD A THIRD THING:
3. There are water-ice clouds in the atmosphere of Mars.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 10/19/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23 >>

join