It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity rover detects bright object on surface of Mars...

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by Char-Lee
yes like this "rock"

That looks like three different rocks.

Interesting rock here (looks like an S-Hook or a number 5)
also among the oddities in the big photo along with, if a person looks at every inch, a snake like looking creature and 2 lizard like ones a small shovel or scoop and a ton of junk.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
Interesting rock here (looks like an S-Hook or a number 5)
also among the oddities in the big photo along with, if a person looks at every inch, a snake like looking creature and 2 lizard like ones a small shovel or scoop and a ton of junk.

That image is too small for me to make any kind of opinion.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
New images available
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Looks like wax paper.
No shadow so we don't know which way it is oriented.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Ummmmm Is it me or is there not a face on this picture? I'm at work and can't do any highlighting but there is clearly a face on it.....

Originally posted by paratus
Looks like a shrimp

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Curiosity has made an interesting find which was announced couple of hours ago - it probed a rock which turned out to have Earth-like chemical structure, which is a first timer.

More info here

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

That's remarkably clear.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JamesAvery1

Please read through the thread before posting; Yes, the "face" has been discussed at length already...

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

hey I believe that what you said is interesting but high quality telescopes are available to the public and if there were structures on the moon and maybe Mars wouldn't it be able to be seen?

I don't know but I would love to believe in aliens because it all seems so awesome (well if there are some types thatddont want us dead) but I'm finding hard to think that there true... it all seems like speculation and the "proof" is unable to be fully proven as true OR false... hmmm

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

hey I believe that what you said is interesting but high quality telescopes are available to the public and if there were structures on the moon and maybe Mars wouldn't it be able to be seen?

I don't know but I would love to believe in aliens because it all seems so awesome (well if there are some types thatddont want us dead) but I'm finding hard to think that there true... it all seems like speculation and the "proof" is unable to be fully proven as true OR false... hmmm

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Ok, guys. This was a fairly small incident, all things considered. It only ran to 15 pages!

Imagine if someone made a post like this one on the 2012 doomsday scenarious once we hit new years. OMG., that would be a long thread, lol.

20/20 in hindsight right?

What did we learn from this guys?

Originally posted by winofiend
Well, here's my opinion.

Now, NASA lies to us because there is indeed life on Mars. It's that small we need to see a drawing of it to actually see it, and not only that, but out of a gazillion places to land, the curiosity lands right smack bang not on a dead seafloor of decaying fishies, but where there is a single lone dead fishy, that has awaited millions of years for a curiosity rover to appear and rumble his pad.

Originally posted by Arken
Surely this anomaly seem out of place with the surrounding terrain.
Mole of Mars?
S&F.

NASA say the object might be a part of the six-wheeled rover

NASA, NASA, NASA.....

edit on 9-10-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

Originally posted by AmberLeaf

haha NASA are a funny lot.

excuses excuses

Originally posted by thePharaoh
oh you know
dont act dumb...its a seahorse-slug...which was ejaculated by the rover...its been a few months

Originally posted by nomadros
... My question is why don't they stick the scoop back in and see if any more bits fall off the rover *cough*

And this one by 'Clearmind'

Originally posted by clearmind
..so the rover is falling apart?!? really...i would doubt that there is anything on the rover that could accidentily fall off with out the rover being in some type of accident...ha..something falling off the rover...Never A Straight Answer..

Originally posted by AmberLeaf
reply to post by clearmind

I think that is the answer they would like us to believe.

It managed to go hundreds of millions of miles with no issues, drops hundreds of feet from the sky crane, but it moves a few hundred meters and starts falling apart...yea ok.

I dont expect NASA to tell us the truth.

Who knows? Hmm. Rugger knows

Originally posted by rugger
..I've never worked in the space industry so who knows.I say it's organic.besides we know NASA is hiding things.right

edit on 9-10-2012 by rugger because: its a comment not a reply

I stop here, you get my drift, I made it a bit more than half-ways through.

To be fair, I got it wrong too. I thought there was definitely a 'belt-buckle'-like structure in the middle of the object, making me say it was machined. That was wrong because while it is machined, there is no belt-buckle, it's a crease and some shadows. So I was just lucky I said it was machined

Originally posted by FlySolo
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

That's remarkably clear.

But hey, at least I didn't go yelling that NASA were lying when they were being perfectly straight about it.

We all make some personal calls in these areas, but the posters above may want to reconsider their view on NASA's behavior, and read up on why NASA did how they did in this case.

It could save us all from the grief in future threads, if they halt operations or find something they don't know what is. Fair enough?

edit on 12-10-2012 by ScientificUAPer because: typo

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
If this is a part from the rover, we would already know exactly which part. There would be pictures of the area of the rover where the part broke off from. We would be able to view the part as it was before the mission. Am I wrong on these assumptions?

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enlightenme1111
..Am I wrong on these assumptions?

No, in principle you're right. But I doubt that they will spend time trying to locate the exact origin, considering its miniscule size.

If it continues, perhaps they'll have to look into it closer.

That's what I imagine anyway.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

If this is a part from the rover, we would already know exactly which part. There would be pictures of the area of the rover where the part broke off from. We would be able to view the part as it was before the mission. Am I wrong on these assumptions?

It's not necessarily a broken piece from the rover proper, but instead could be a piece of plastic debris left over from when the rover was built or packed away for the trip. It may have only come loose now because of the rover operations -- such as the moving of the scoop.

It could also be a pieces from the sky crane that got kick up onto the rover during the landing. The sky crane's rockets kicked up plenty of debris, and some of that debris may have fallen from the sky crane itself. There was a lot going on with the sky crane at landing -- rockets firing, cables (holding the rover) being reeled out, those cables being cut at rover touchdown -- and that piece could have fallen during that time and got kicked up by the thrust...

...That kicked-up debris may may been lodged in a corner of the rover for the past 2 months and only came loose during this latest scooping operation.

edit on 10/12/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScientificUAPer

..Am I wrong on these assumptions?

No, in principle you're right. But I doubt that they will spend time trying to locate the exact origin, considering its miniscule size.

If it continues, perhaps they'll have to look into it closer.

That's what I imagine anyway.

I respectfully disagree. If I were a scientist working on this mission, I would find out exactly what happened and where the part fell from, for many reasons. Not one scientist working on this mission would consider your imagination of how they would treat this.

I can't even believe you're being serious. "If it continues they will look into it"? Really?

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I respectfully disagree. If I were a scientist working on this mission, I would find out exactly what happened and where the part fell from, for many reasons. Not one scientist working on this mission would consider your imagination of how they would treat this.

I can't even believe you're being serious. "If it continues they will look into it"? Really?

The rover engineers DO have ideas of what the piece may be, based on the looks of the material, but give the fact that the object so so small (barely 2 cm long), it would be hard to find out EXACTLY where it came from, even if it IS a broken piece of the rover (rather than -- as I said above -- a foreign piece of debris left over from building the rover, or a piece of the sky crane).

Say, for example, that it is a piece of plastic sheathing that goes around a cable bundle. Considering the piece is so tiny, there could be dozens of places that could have come from -- and some of those places may not even be visible using the cameras.

I'm sure there is a team of engineers right now tasked with trying to determine out what the object was. That doesn't mean they will ever know for sure what it is, but they can make educated guesses.

edit on 10/12/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Soylent,

Thanks for the responses. The scenario you painted makes a bit more sense.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
A new short video on the Curiosity rover and its scoop operation. The bright object is mentioned and is called a FOD. or foreign object debris.

www.youtube.com...

informational and short.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Did "Dick" Hoagland start this thread?

Are his book sales slowing down?

Does he need a new roof for his house?

Before assuming anything, turn off your computer... get a degree in geology... go outside... maybe walk along a beach... go to the desert... look at the ground on Earth!
edit on 12-10-2012 by Labrador Retriever because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
The rover engineers DO have ideas of what the piece may be, based on the looks of the material, but give the fact that the object so so small (barely 2 cm long), it would be hard to find out EXACTLY where it came from, even if it IS a broken piece of the rover (rather than -- as I said above -- a foreign piece of debris left over from building the rover, or a piece of the sky crane).

If the scoop is 4.5 centimetres wide than the object is just a little smaller than 1 cm, according to some measurements made on the image.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join