It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity rover detects bright object on surface of Mars...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
My brain's "core object recognition" immediately suggested that it's a winged insect...

Dead mayfly for comparison:

I bet it's a form of cockroach. Because if there was once life on Mars, the only remaining survivors would be cockroaches...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf

Originally posted by Arken
Surely this anomaly seem out of place with the surrounding terrain.
Mole of Mars?
S&F.

NASA say the object might be a part of the six-wheeled rover

NASA, NASA, NASA.....

edit on 9-10-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

haha NASA are a funny lot.

excuses excuses

*SCREAMS*

I bet you can hear screams in space, only NASA says otherwize. stoopid nasa...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Am I the only one who thinks it looks like a scrap of metal or plastic? It does not look organic at all to me.

As much as I'd love to hear about life on Mars, I think the notion of it being a chip off of Curiosity seems like the most likely scenario.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
reply to post by thePharaoh

Have I missed something?
Could you please explain why you think, or know, that it is not a tooth?

I'd hazard a simple earthly guess. We've never seen a beasty with teeth on mars. Now sure, this does not exclude this. And if it is ancient, then it serves as merely an example of a possibly extinct form of life that had evolved long enough to have evolution throw teeth at the bugger.

But we don't see a lot of this. Martian toothmonsters.

If it had been surrounded by any sort of fossilised bone, structure of any sort... or even if there were more. I'd have to think otherwise. I still would not assume that it's an instant and obvious NASA coverup if they said "Naww looks more like rubble to us."

It's GOD: 0
It's the Martian Toothmonster: 1
It's a rock/and or part of curiosity: ?

edit on 9-10-2012 by winofiend because: oh what a tangled web we weave when first we set out TO BELIEVE...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Whatever it is ,rat,prawn, sea,horse ,ass faced rock crawler, It isnt scared of a giant robotic machine crawling over its home. . On the other hand its--
Probably chewing gum dropped by the security guard

edit on 9-10-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I like your score board

I'm in bit of a rush right now, but when i get back I'll try to do a comparison image (side by side) and point out the bits I've tried to describe in my previous post.

I cannot see why it could not be a tooth. We know teeth can be fossilised.. what bothers me is the time frame.
NASA say it is shiny.. teeth are shiny...

even fossilised ones can be shiny..
is.gd...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Interesting point there, teeth can be shiny. But mars has a rather 'ironic' atmosphere
Loads of rust. I wonder how an untouched deposit (such as fossils are I guess) would fare in that. Any hint of liquid water would surely penetrate the depth of what we're told here. Carrying with it an oxidised rust paint, more or less.

No water.. well it seems to exclude life.

I might entirely be thinking about the atmos wrong, in terms of levels. but red mars is given it's name from it's atmospheric hue, so hopefully I'm ok.. O.o

If that holds any truth, any bright object should be viewed with curiousness rather than seeking an end.

If not, I just mashed loads of brain cells together, wasted precious kilojoules dong so, and am now more confused than when I started.

It's easier to stay confused.. at least that way people don't focus on you when they ask hard questions.

"Yooowaaa?"

edit on 9-10-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
The skeptic in me says it's a chip off the rover of some sort. The conspiracy theorist in me says that even if it's something anomalous, NASA will just say it's part of the rover anyways. Apparently they will be taking closer/higher res pictures of it, so hopefully we all get to see them as well.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

I wouldnt hold your breath on that one.
most of the images that are in the public domain are thumbnails and down sampled images. Many whole days are missing. (SOL3 - SOL9.....SOL18, SOL31).

A lot of the interesting images are too small to actually view. (thumbnails)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
That is an interesting image , it does seem to look like a wing even down to the attachment at the end ....

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

This one seems to show it pretty clearly (although it is not very large). I didn't see the object at first but it's near the bottom center of the image:

www.nasa.gov...

NASA gives some information on scale (The scoop is 1.8 inches wide), so whatever it is, it's very small (and probably not a tooth
)

ETA: Note that this is before the object was in the scoop.
edit on 9-10-2012 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
That is an interesting image , it does seem to look like a wing even down to the attachment at the end ....

Very interesting. At that scale, it certainly does seem to have some organic looking properties (particularly the little s-curve that extrudes out from the center of the object). Exciting stuff!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I strongly believe Mars once had life on it, because there is clear evidence Mars once had an atmosphere, a magnetic field, and lots of flowing water. It's highly likely life was seeded between Mars and Earth when both of our planets were habitable, and Mars most likely had life forms on it similar to the ones on Earth.

However, this image is not enough to make any solid conclusions in my opinion. It could be a whole range of things. A lot of natural things are reflective and shiny... and the object in this image is not defined well enough. The range of guesses in this thread is clear evidence that the shape can be interpreted in any number of ways.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Looks like a parasitic fluke or a parasitic worm of some sort.

it's' mouth looks exactly like this liver fluke (white object on the liver)

edit on 9/10/12 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
A possible "Scale" off something? Hmmmmmm?

edit on 9-10-2012 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Here's a slightly enhanced version of the image:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
In the grocery store they sell mexican stuff in the bag, and the dried shrimp bag looks way to similar to this, IMO.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Interesting thread.

If this was on Earth I'd have thought it was a leaf, or a gum wrapper.

Since it's on Mars I'll guess it's actually something from the rover. Otoh, this is undeniably an unexpected artifact, so it'll be interesting to hear if it's some form of petrified Martian life, after all.

But I really doubt there's anything of any size on Mars, unless she was a former haven in comparison to now. What would they eat, or drink?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
It's a Seahorse!!!!!

Seriously though? My money's on... piece of crap from the rover.
BUT... I hope I'm wrong. Even if I am though...? I doubt it's anything genuinely exciting, though it does LOOK organic.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
This external site picture puts the whole thing in context...

External image

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join