It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity rover detects bright object on surface of Mars...

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
In my opinion rocks can take very strange forms, especially with periodic dust storms. Though to me, it looks like a seahorse or a more amphibian based life form that's closely related to the fish family. This is strictly keeping in mind that these are carbon based life forms. Silicon, Hydrogen, etc. based life forms are not that farfetched.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Well this is what I saw when I first looked at it

edit on 10-10-2012 by dodgygeeza because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
While we're waiting for official explanation, I stumbled across this photo (sol 60)

Shiny "rock", or another part of rover felt on the ground?
Reference Nasa image
edit on 10-10-2012 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

However, this image is not enough to make any solid conclusions in my opinion. It could be a whole range of things. A lot of natural things are reflective and shiny... and the object in this image is not defined well enough.

I don't believe the image will EVER be defined enough for US to conclude what this "object" really is. Speculation will probably last as long as Roswell speculation has.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
If this "plastic/tape/whatever" came from the rover, they could take a picture of the part of the rover it fell from and confirm that.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
posting mostly to keep up with developments on this
also to echo sentiments about a parts manifest;
to me it looks nothing like a part, but if it IS we have to be able to figure out exactky what part.

even my pure avowed skeptic brother is excited by the possibilities of this one.
exciting!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99
Its a prawn...

Nasa scooped up a prawn...(probably left in the scoop when testing it on earth)

A99

I was just about to say this until I read your message

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Btw, here is a news article related to this thread:

Mars rover Curiosity's discovery of bright object prompts questions, jokes

www.cbc.ca...

The Curiosity Rover scooped the first soil sample from the surface Mars on the weekend. The rover tweeted the scoop, and included a video of the scoop above. (Regolith is the loose layer of dust and rock covering solid bedrock.) It was the first of two planned sample scoops, meant to clear the equipment before a third scoop which would then be analyzed. But there was a surprise in the Rover's first scoop; a mysterious bright object.

NASA has confirmed the rover team is holding off on using the robotic arm again until they determine what the object is, because it is possible it is part of the rover itself.

NBC's Alan Boyle notes that rover debris is harmless, but the rover team will take precautions because "if even a bit of it happened to get into the rover's sensitive chemistry labs, that could ruin the scientific readings."

I find NASA is nothing but a joke how they go about hiding this evidence.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by lordpiney
looks like a fossilized crustacean claw tip to me. i highly doubt it's any part of Curiosity.

It looks nothing like a fossil, a fossil wouldn't have that uniform translucent look.

Oh really? huh? i guess these aint fossils then?

these are just a few translucent fossils ive found. there are many more.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown
While we're waiting for official explanation, I stumble across this photo (sol 60)

Shiny "rock", or another part of rover felt on the ground?
Reference Nasa image

My first though was that it was surface ice, scraped bare by the movement of the Rover.

But it looks like a pixel error, on the original pic it looks like a few pixels in a line. There is artifacting from the compression, smearing the pixellation, but that would be my guess, though I can't be certain.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

looks like a fossilized crustacean claw tip to me. i highly doubt it's any part of Curiosity.

It looks nothing like a fossil, a fossil wouldn't have that uniform translucent look.

Oh really? huh? i guess these aint fossils then?

these are just a few translucent fossils ive found. there are many more.

Nope, just some blurry ipföne photos
been croped and reshaped in CS5

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
what are the odds that the very first scoop would produce organic life
its really easy to just say its plastic....im not convinced and the fact is we will probably never know for we have to go on NASA word...

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by bottleslingguy
IF it is a plastic shaving or metal shard that big then nasa should be shut down. I mean we're talking about contaminating another planet here

Don't you think that all the landers and rovers are enough contamination?

obviousness aside, I meant instead of pieces breaking off traveling around on the breeze as pollution if nasa was THAT delinquent in creating a "sterile" nature, what else is on the rover- pubes? dna? virus?

what do you think about scooping it up and analyzing it? has anyone mentioned that?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

never mind about analyzing it:

"NBC's Alan Boyle notes that rover debris is harmless, but the rover team will take precautions because "if even a bit of it happened to get into the rover's sensitive chemistry labs, that could ruin the scientific readings." "

I guess that's about it for the scoop then hunh? wtf is up with nasa? what a bunch of malarky. how can they sleep at night?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by bottleslingguy
IF it is a plastic shaving or metal shard that big then nasa should be shut down. I mean we're talking about contaminating another planet here

That big?????

What about the sky crane? the heat shield? other rovers that have crashed their?

A 1 inch piece of plastic is going to do nothing

And about this plastic shaving being anything significant:
Do you really think the first scoop from a 2 INCH SCOOP would yield anything to prove there is life their??
If so the Mars should be teeming with life.

C'mon its the first damn scoop, if this is evidence of life then this must be one of the luckiest projects in NASA's history.
edit on 10/10/12 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0nZ

Chance, coincidence....luck, happens to all of us at some point.
They landed the rover where it is for a reason, they didnt pick a random landing point. So you could say, they knew this was the best place to look, and by chance, they found something

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
Btw, here is a news article related to this thread:

I checked out the link and found this image:

i.imgur.com...

Look closely at center of the artifact where there appears the shape of a beltbuckle wrapped slightly around the main body.

The 'beltbuckle' looks machined to me, I'd cautiously conclude that it's not biological in origin.

Originally posted by jammer1976
what are the odds that the very first scoop would produce organic life
its really easy to just say its plastic....im not convinced and the fact is we will probably never know for we have to go on NASA word...

Looking closely at the pic I linked to, do you agree that it looks machined?

edit on 10-10-2012 by ScientificUAPer because: new reply instead of long post..

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by workinrampage
The video quality is horrendous. Spent billions on a vehicle recording things on VHS then relaying them back home at 56k.

The video is not from the Rover, NASA has published 3 photos of the object, not a video.

I think they are referring to this video of the Rover taking the first scoop:
www.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ScientificUAPer

Mind you, I heard there's a saying among some European ufologists that goes something like: Between Man and the Alien stands the US government. You know the sentiment: "I'll believe it when it lands on the White House lawn." That's what irritates some of the Europeans, or South Americans. Why do we need Uncle Sam to explain reality?
We don't need "Uncle Sam to explain reality" but they sure feel they need to....and more.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

I find NASA is nothing but a joke how they go about hiding this evidence.

I'd not conclude so easily that NASA is withholding any evidence.

Mind you, I heard there's a saying among some European ufologists that goes something like: Between Man and the Alien stands the US government. You know the sentiment: "I'll believe it when it lands on the White House lawn." That irritates some of the Europeans, or South Americans. Why do we need Uncle Sam to explain reality? Can't we make up our own minds? Well, it's tough without really solid evidence.

So the question from me to you is:
Does European ESA withhold evidence?
www.esa.int...

Or what about the Russian Federal Space Agency?
www.roscosmos.ru...

Or the Chinese?

I'm not saying they don't withhold evidence, because we don't know. We know the US government likes to keep information about the topic secret, without doubt, but we don't really know if the various space agencies have evidence of E.T.s. Just saying..
Did NASA ever show up at UFO crashes? Perhaps. Were they extraterrestrial? Perhaps. Perhaps not, I don't know. It's very hard to find out. If there is actual evidence, is NASA in the loop? Probably very senior staff, but who knows for sure?

Finally, isn't NASA up there looking for life now? Finally finally, if aliens want to investigate the extremes of human tech close up without danger of being hit with buckshot, why aren't they zooming around the rover now?

Aren't we all curious if that'll ever happen: oops there goes the Rover, beamed up in some weird craft?! We'll see! Perhaps the NASA scientists are thinking the same thing, I wouldn't be surprised if they are hoping for it, knowing geeks.

edit on 10-10-2012 by ScientificUAPer because: typo

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join