It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity rover detects bright object on surface of Mars...

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by D1ss1dent

Intead of showing us a #ty black & white mediocre closeup, why aren't they using the mahli cam?
What makes you think they haven't?

Why guessing like fools when we can have a crystal clear image?
Because they don't really care about our guesses.

edit on 10/9/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

What makes you think they have? link?

How do you know they don't take care about our guesses?

ATS is heavily monitored by "foxes", don't you know phage?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

There is some remarkable symmetry in this object. It does look organic, but we see what we are used to. It looks more like a fish than anything else. Very strange and you can bet that this will become a HUGE issue that will be debated for a long time.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
It is possible that Mars at one time had life since there used to be MASSIVE OCEANS on Mars. But Mars no longer has a MAGNETIC FIELD like Earth does to protect the surface of Mars from constant Planetary Irradiation from Solar ,Cosmic,X-ray...etc...RADIATION. When the center core of Mars cooled down enough to stop the spinning of a onetime Liquid Metallic Core...when the core stopped spinning the Magnetic Field of Mars was no longer generated.

At that point...Mars' Ocean's were were separated into Hydrogen and Oxygen Gases as well as any Water Vapor in the atmosphere and have been lost into space. Anything that was living has long died and any form of Fossils would have to be found deep under the surface as Sand Storms over Millions of years would destroy any surface fossils. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Kind of lamprey like,

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
And maybe this is the exact perspective of "that thing"... with a big mouth...

edit on 10-10-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

Looks like a dire wolf penis bone to me.

But seriously folks, it doesn't look any different in color than the surrounding material, from the video; only its shape is a bit more elongate. Gotta say I'm not terribly excited by this "find".

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
It is possible that Mars at one time had life since there used to be MASSIVE OCEANS on Mars. But Mars no longer has a MAGNETIC FIELD like Earth does to protect the surface of Mars from constant Planetary Irradiation from Solar ,Cosmic,X-ray...etc...RADIATION. When the center core of Mars cooled down enough to stop the spinning of a onetime Liquid Metallic Core...when the core stopped spinning the Magnetic Field of Mars was no longer generated.

At that point...Mars' Ocean's were were separated into Hydrogen and Oxygen Gases as well as any Water Vapor in the atmosphere and have been lost into space. Anything that was living has long died and any form of Fossils would have to be found deep under the surface as Sand Storms over Millions of years would destroy any surface fossils. Split Infinity

I would argue that Earth has a much more erosive environment than Mars, and we find fossils all the time directly exposed on the surface of this planet. There will be places that continually erode over time and uncover areas that have been deep underground for millions of years. Also, since Mars atmosphere is so thin, meteors make it to the ground much more often and probably churn things up a bit.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
So according to Nasa now... it's definitely not "natural," well according to thislink
anyway... so the choices are now A) it came off the rover, B) it didn't come off the rover.

Bet we get A) whilst we're all hoping for B)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by nomadros

Ha! For sure! A it is. Apparantly bits fall off the rovers all the time such as bolts, screws, plastic important discoveries etc etc

Get ready for the bull..............it's gonna rain sh*t!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I played with the photo in my photo editor. Boosted some shadows, played with exposure, highlights, tint, etc.

Dunno if it gives a better look than the original.

And here's a look at 3 different angles so our brains can process the all over image better.

Hope it helps, because I have no clue what it is.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by lordpiney
looks like a fossilized crustacean claw tip to me. i highly doubt it's any part of Curiosity.

It looks nothing like a fossil, a fossil wouldn't have that uniform translucent look.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99

Originally posted by AmberLeaf
reply to post by Extralien

I think thats a good idea. It does resemble a tooth.

It resembles a prawn!

A99

I think you are right...I never heared of, or seen a transparent tooth. Seahorse...also possible.

sec. line Z1

edit on 10/10/2012 by zatara because: of seahorse

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
Here's your answer..................'IT'S PLASTIC!" Says NASA.

It does look like plastic.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
reply to post by nomadros

Ha! For sure! A it is. Apparantly bits fall off the rovers all the time such as bolts, screws, plastic important discoveries etc etc

Get ready for the bull..............it's gonna rain sh*t!

Maybe we (or they) should follow the money ...... that fell off the rover.

Sec.line
edit on 10/10/2012 by zatara because: off

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
It looks like rubber to me, or some sort of soft material. Doesn't look much like a metal.

The section that has a sort of 'clip' around it does hint at a designer, though it could easily be part of the rovers scoop - hence why NASA said they wont scoop more, lol.

They might only have half a scoop left :O

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Thanks for the image.

It looks rather clean for falling there with the rest of the sample. Should be dust on it? Does the scoop rattle after dumping to "clean" it? Looks like the fold in the center is a stamping of some kind. And the edge along the left is too straight. Bit of debris...

Edit: Is that lettering in the "mouth"? Looks like an upside down A and L in black letters? I know, I'm reaching...

edit on 10-10-2012 by intrptr because: additional...

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

I think peeps are asking the wrong question here.. What they should be asking is why is there a deformed cornflake on mars.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Don't worry about it. one of the guys who have been around ATS for ages will be here soon to give there opinion on it and we will all believe them and get on with our lives.

I have no idea what it is but im going to go with something that has fallen off the rover because that's the only thing we will hear that it is from nasa

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Its very obvious that its a prawn from the dinner of the bloke that cleans the rover on Mars..

He's got to eat!!!

Plastic my backside....A bit of the rover that just fell off..LOL

That's a pretty shoddy bit of kit for all that money then...

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Quite new here in ATS but longtime follower of course

Figured i'd throw in my 2 cents at least.
I personally believe there is life on other planets, it might be foolish to say that because of the sheer volume of planetary bodies, solar systems, even the possibility of a Omni-verse .
Such things are only based on what we can comprehend. Such as there being no such thing as infinity, or pure void.
But just because we do not understand these concepts currently does not make them false- and some would argue it does not make them true.
Granted the sheer complexity of life, the world, and the universe, (heck, maybe there's something even more complex and vast than the universe itself) then i don't see why there could not be life on mars.

I guess what i am trying to add is Mars itself is not alien. It has rocks, it has dirt. it has rivers, ice caps, oceans. If it was truly alien, we could not comprehend functionality or even begin to theorize what it is. The object shown might be a rock, or a fish, or an object that we cannot comprehend with our limited science.
Either way, i personally believe that there is life elsewhere.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join