It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top neurosurgeon 'spent six days in heaven' during a coma

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+57 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Top neurosurgeon 'spent six days in heaven' during a coma

au.news.yahoo.com

A top neurosurgeon claims to have ‘Proof of heaven’ after making a full recovery from a seven day coma that saw his neocortex inactivated.

Dr Eben Alexander, who teaches neuroscience at Harvard University among others, fell seriously ill after contracting a rare form of bacterial meningitis in 2008.

Within hours of developing a severe headache, Dr Alexander’s entire cortex—the section of the brain that controls thought and emotion —had shut down.

Though his chances of survival were low, he awoke from the coma seven days later and began describing an ‘other worldly experien
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Ok?? I guess It's time to believe?

I gotta say I am quite taken back by his claims and to be honest quite scared?

Not a religious kinda guy, this has given me the creeps. Could the dudes who knock on my door be right after all, or did this guy have a sudden rush of blood to the head? Who knows, but I would have thought that he was the "word" on most things to do with the brain. And to remember it is a whole new ball game. I gotta admit, the idea of pink fluffy clouds sounds like a track I used to know by the Orb but was this tripped out chick right after all. I hope so.

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+17 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
He's a neurosurgeon, which means he studies extensively the mind and its affects and coma's and so forth.
Id say he's studied it so much it was the first thing his brain thought of when it went into default!
Heaven?... its a mental thing. His mind just went to its own interpretation of heaven!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Perhaps he has bias. The fact that he's a neurosurgeon, means he must believe in the reliability of the equipment he uses to demonstrate that various parts of the brain are entirely inactive when performing certain procedures.

I would posit that his bias has blinded him to the possibility that the equipment which is used to determine this inactivity isn't actually sensitive enough to make such a distinction for every individual. Everyone has different brain activity for the same stimuli under normal conditions. The same could be assumed for being in a coma. Perhaps some are still active, when it would appear inactive, as it would be the same registering from the equipments reading.
edit on 8-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Entirely plausable. Who knows hey? I like the sound of it though.

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I get chills from reading the article; he is absolutely right consciousness does exist outside the body. When I meditate, I leave my physical senses behind and reach a state of consciousness where I am no longer limited to my body. The environment around me IS me, and there is a feeling of all knowing.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
There are several videos about this guy but have not watched them yet:

NDEr Dr. Eben Alexander: The Butterfly Girl

Eben Alexander - My Journey into the Afterlife

Dr. Eben Alexander's Near-Death Experience Interview
www.youtube.com...

Cortical Near Death Experience
www.youtube.com...

Eben Alexander MD, director of research at The Monroe Institute
www.youtube.com...

INTERVIEWS
www.lifebeyonddeath.net...

Also confirmed by Dr. Percy Collett and many others...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 8-10-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Perhaps he only experienced what he wanted to and your experience, or mine, could be vastly different.

If his body and mind were going through all of this trauma, maybe his mind went to the "happy place" he subconsciously envisions.

Just a thought.......

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Sorry but his word isn't proof. His visions could have been nothing more than the pineal gland becoming active after his brain shut down.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
honestly just break it down simply,
when you pass on, you need to make it somewhat easy, on you that is.
What if you need to do something, and death isn't the end, you'd have all these beings completely flipping out, loosing themselves everywhere, would be utter hell...

But if you have an idea of things, it's more easier for you to listen and follow directions in a calm state.

So, i think he saw exactly what he, HIMSELF was meant too, meaning we all will see what we envision it to be I believe, since that would be the most logical way to be at ease for something not normally so.

make sense? prolly not, carry on.

+55 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I am a neuroradiologist, in the Boston area, and my wife is a Harvard doctor as well.

Let's just say the brain is a very not well understood fuzzy computing device that

is a combination of neurotransmitters, astroglial stromal elements, a complex vascular system,

a complex neural net computer that emits an electromagnetic field, that probably stores memory holographically.

And that's the simple view. This neurosurgeon's neocortex may have shut down enough to activate

the papez circuit, a reptilian brain if you will, that controls our emotions.

We cant really image function with MRI, but I bet he's referring

to EEG tracings - which probably showed lack of alpha wave activity and other signs of deep unconsciousness.

This is an old controversy in medicine : the out of body experience.

I for one believe in it for a multitude of reasons. I even think the American indians were onto

something with shamanistic rituals and their attempts to enter the spirit world through trances.

After all, a coma is a form of a trance. Many times I wonder if all the distractional inputs were

removed, aka sensory deprevational states, would we tune into the netherworld more easily?

Ahhh, the big questions. Im stuck looking at awful strokes, hemorrhages, aneurysms, and tumors

all day. The really cool stuff would be pursuing the dream world, like in Dr. Haber's lab, in the Lathe of Heaven....
edit on 10/8/2012 by drphilxr because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/8/2012 by drphilxr because: spelling

edit on 10/8/2012 by drphilxr because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
From the article:

His forthcoming book

Book? so he has actual proof of an afterlife, and instead of sharing this freely on the net, and altering the entire worlds view...
he wants to cash in.

Guess heaven has gotten lax in its messaging.

Anyhow, in a dream, you can live a week in a few minutes before waking up.

Mom had a NDE...and she didn't see streaming transparent people..she seen solid people, and she wasn't in fluffy cloudville..she was on a beach. So..ya.

But by all means, read the book.

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
He's a neurosurgeon, which means he studies extensively the mind and its affects and coma's and so forth.
Id say he's studied it so much it was the first thing his brain thought of when it went into default!
Heaven?... its a mental thing. His mind just went to its own interpretation of heaven!

Guess you failed to actually read the full linked content..

Because he was being constantly monitored during the coma and there was zero brain activity.. His cortex was completely shut down..
His mind was doing absolutely nothing..

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Everyone here over thinking and over analyzing his experience does not dismiss what happened to him. If he believes he had an out of body experience (and his credentials in neuroscience are quite prestige) then SO BE IT.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

Awesome, thanks for adding that. This is true. Absolute zero activity. Amazing hey? Chills.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I recently had a NDE and spent 4 straight months in the hospital with cancer,chronic kidney failure and an almost deadly case of C.Diff infection. I told some friends about it here on a thread and its eerily similar to this story but was posted before this one article came out. Its listed here and is halfway down the page.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I didn't see any pink clouds, nor lights or tunnels or family Just a calm place that I hope to see again and I'm not afraid of death anymore.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sgspecial19

Yes, master...

belief does not equate to reality outside of subjective experience.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Dam I wish i had these types of experiences with my last death due to suffocation.

edit on 8-10-2012 by Legion2024 because: 11:11

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
It all could have happened before the coma and seemed like a long time.

Then waking up he thought that the experience had lasted 7 days.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

So this proves that heaven exists?

what im saying is..

imagine if you took a baby.
kept him locked up away from the outside world until he was 17.
then from 17 > 35yrs old you taught him about the big red room where everyone goes when they die.
This big red room is huge, bright red, its empty there are no windows.
you constantly reaffirm this belief about a big red room.

... what do you think this person will see/feel when they have a near death experience? with or without cortex motion.

Maybe, just maybe, the last thing this guy's brain thought of before it shut down WAS his opinion of heaven.
Maybe his mind saw this last image of heaven and it froze there (like a blue screen on windows)

... when my PC blue screens i can quite clearly see the blue screen, but there's no HDD activity happening!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join