It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life Spans Shrink for Least-Educated Whites in the U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...
From 1990 to 2008, the lifespan of American white women without a high school education declined 5 years. American white men without a high school diploma, 3 years.
“Something is going on in the lives of disadvantaged white women that is leading to some really alarming trends in life expectancy,” said Ms. Montez of Harvard.
"The five-year decline for white women rivals the catastrophic seven-year drop for Russian men in the years after the collapse of the Soviet Union, said Michael Marmot, director of the Institute of Health Equity in London. "
"The dropping life expectancies have helped weigh down the United States in international life expectancy rankings, particularly for women. In 2010, American women fell to 41st place, down from 14th place in 1985, in the United Nations rankings. Among developed countries, American women sank from the middle of the pack in 1970 to last place in 2010, according to the Human Mortality Database. "

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
oh no..the whites are dying....you think its their black president!!!

cmon...there are more of us...less work...more time to emulate jackass and fill the morgues.

be careful when you talk in percentages....

peace

nytimes - the lack of numbers in the text...stops one from forming an educated opinion...fix up
edit on 8-10-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Honestly, it would be difficult to make a definitive statement from those graphs, but I'll take a speculative one based on some facts:

1. Women get paid less than males

2. The nuclear family has been decimated

3. Nearly half of people get divorced, women often get custody, and child support is sometimes not paid because of dead-beat fathers

4. There exists moderate, positive correlations between IQ and educational attainment + IQ and socioeconomic status + negative correlations of IQ and fertility rate

Putting it all together, it seems there could be a case made that various social, cultural, and political pressures have created a trend towards a decreased life span amongst white females over the last generation or so.
edit on 8-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Well I am glad I am half native then....

2nd line

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
fear mongering bull**** , no offence OP , but the people who come up with this stuff are the same kind of people that tell you 85% of the American public love milk , or 97 % of the people they asked said the bird is not the word , it`s mind numbingly boring middle class entertainment they crave drama because they live on coffee , drama shows , reality tv and obviously , the "news".

It`s border line racist really.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by KillDaTelavisionsus
fear mongering bull**** , no offence OP , but the people who come up with this stuff are the same kind of people that tell you 85% of the American public love milk , or 97 % of the people they asked said the bird is not the word , it`s mind numbingly boring middle class entertainment they crave drama because they live on coffee , drama shows , reality tv and obviously , the "news".

I don't see how you can call the New York Times racist. The facts are facts. America is now last - 41st - among developed nations for female lifespan.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matt1951

Originally posted by KillDaTelavisionsus

I don't see how you can call the New York Times racist. The facts are facts. America is now last - 41st - among developed nations for female lifespan.

Yes , i mean its not like i`d get in the sh** for saying the opposite to "whites" , i`m just playing my race card , i`m feeling sleezy.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by moniesisfun

While these are all good thoughts I'll take a different approach. Obesity runs rampant in this country and leads to serious health problems such as diabetes and heart disease. The poorer you are the more likely you are to lack access to proper health care and you will probably be obese to boot. Considering not having a high school diploma is certain to put you in poverty, it's likely the aforementioned combo is driving this decline in lifespan.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Nice additions.

To continue: poorer socioeconomic status couls lead to cheaper, processed/fast foods for consumption, exacerbating the propensity for obesity.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I agree with what has been posted. The questions are:
Has this situation stabilized, or is it going to get worse? my vote: it is getting worse.
What will be done about it? probably nothing

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Given the ongoing global economic climate, the situation is unlikely to stablise. Recent studies in the UK show that for street homeless, life expectancy is reduced by 30 years.

Homelessness: A Silent Killer www.crisis.org.uk... reports that homeless people in the UK who suffer the stresses and strains of alcoholism and substance abuse live only a little longer than those in the poorest countries, with the average age of death at 47 for men and 43 for women. This compares with 77 for the general population.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by teapot
Given the ongoing global economic climate, the situation is unlikely to stablise. Recent studies in the UK show that for street homeless, life expectancy is reduced by 30 years.

Homelessness: A Silent Killer www.crisis.org.uk... reports that homeless people in the UK who suffer the stresses and strains of alcoholism and substance abuse live only a little longer than those in the poorest countries, with the average age of death at 47 for men and 43 for women. This compares with 77 for the general population.

www.guardian.co.uk...

"with the average age of death at 47 for men and 43 for women. This compares with 77 for the general population."

Thanks for the link, depressing as it is.

top topics

join