It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you imagine what Non-existence is like?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Ever been under general anesthesia?

The moment right after the regressive count and immediately prior to opening your eyes.

Just like that.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

Perhaps you didn't read the replies on the first page?

Originally posted by Akragon

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
If you want to know what being dead and ceasing to exist is like, get put to sleep in a hospital for surgery. There is no dreaming, there is no consciousness, there's no sense or awareness of anything.

One minute you're being put to sleep, and the next you're waking right back up. Hours passed and it only seemed like a second or less had passed.

That's the best I can explain it, and the easiest way to experience it.

edit on 8-10-2012 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

Been there done that.... doesn't cut it

I definatly dreamed during my surgery....

I also seem to recall flirting with a rather large nurse afterwards....

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
As depressing as the reality of it all is. I also feel like our "life" is just a candle in the wind.

For me, it's an inspiration. It's direction. If I only have a small time here I'm gonna make a difference. I've been donating money to charities and donating time for charity events.

Once you get over this little hurdle of "what's life all about" and move on. I'm sure you will make an impact that you can't even imagine on the people around you.

Oh, I also smile at random strangers

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Late comer...

Ever fall asleep at night and wake up at dawn? The whole night just evaporated as far as you were concerned. And yet the whole night still happened. You were just unawares. That is nothingness. Like you never existed.

Dying and leaving your body for some will be peaceful, others wrenching. Depends...

All will step out of this shell and into the light. For some that light will be peaceful, others wrenching. Depends...

All will account for their actions and for some that will be peaceful, others wrenching. Depends...

Some will continue and others will go into the sun. The lake of fire that is never quenched. The real, eternal, disassociation of random particles. That is nothingness, like you were never born.

God, I hope that isn't so.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Non existence must exist. The truth is, a lot of people can not imagine it. Because they don't know how to view the difference between existence and non existence.

Non existence is a absolute infinite empty space. Existence is a absolute infinite empty space with something existing inside it.

I know a lot of people will argue that a absolute infinite empty space with something existing inside it is not absolutely empty. That is true if you cant see the difference between empty space and matter.

But if you are the matter inside this infinite empty space, You should be able to imagine the difference between your existence and the infinite nothingness surrounding you.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Can you imagine what Non-existence is like?

--------------------------------

I point towards the memory of what is. An honest record in the right time span.
The question arises, why all this, this collection of what 'I am'?

It seems a waste of valuable knowledge if that is all there is, and to be honest, if this container holds something special, and being what it is, is. we know the two, separate. some could identify this as evolution of what is.

If life is considered as one continuous moment in this realm of forms. Then what we identify as Death, could be considered as the next continuous moment in the realm of the formless. remove the fear in it.

Muzz

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
This is one of those thought experiments that makes me hyperventilate...

Oddly enough, I was just thinking about it a day ago or so.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

You know those billions of years before you were born?

It'll be like that.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
After half a century of trying to appreciate, and demonstrate good music,
death shall piss me of quite a bit.... if the music doesn;t get any better.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
To stop myself from going nuts during these kinds of philosophical topics i remind myself of a famous quote:

One can only experience the unconsiousness by being consious whilst having been unconsious.

We cant simply tell, because its like dividing by 0.

I see death as the final experiment; the final experiment which will answer your one, essential question: "Why?"

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I exist, so I cant know what non - existence would be like. You would have to not exist and if that was the case we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Having said that think of the strangest and most impossible looking creature, and if you can think of it then on that analogy it must exist somewhere or in sometime.
Maybe by thinking it I brought it into existence.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mungodave

I don't think its gonna get any better, but we had the 70's and 80's.
My Favourite Aussie bands in no particular order.
Chisel, The Angels, The Sports, Skyhooks, Jo Jo Zep, Midnight Oil, Aussie Crawl, Split Enz (Yes Kiwis, I know)
Spy v Spy, Little River Band, The Divinyls, Inxs, Hunters and Collectors, The Choirboys, The Screaming Jets
Hoodoo Gurus, The Church & ACDC This list could go on and on, Solo Artists Richard Clapton, Russell Morris
Paul Kelly etc. Not forgetting early 70's Madder Lake, Spectrum, Chain, Daddy Cool, The Dingoes, Billy Thorpe, Max Meritt.
So while this music is available, my ears wont have to bleed to the sounds of today.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I know exactly what non-existence is like. When I go to sleep, and do not remember my dreams, the "missing time" throughout the night where I have no recollection of anything - non-existence is exactly like that, except it goes on infinitely.

When you are sleeping and not dreaming, that is what non-existence is like, except you never wake.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
Sit and think for a minute...

When you die, if you cease to exist... what would that be like?

If we cease to exist after reading the word klaatu in uppercase then the experience would be exactly as extensively described here after the word KLAATU

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

I'm sorry what was that ?
heh, that's just to funny.

Muzz

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Non-existence is like nothing...because you dont exist to have it bother you....like asking what will you think about when youre dead?

You wont, you cant and you arent going to....because you dont exist..

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
If not by reason was the creation made then how can the mind grasp anything?
Analogically, how could physicality grasp intellectuality?

How can an absolute understand itself if it implies infinitude?

What is the driving force of the universe? Is it an unfathomable will?
What is the place of our will in this grand scheme?

Could we be neither a being or a non-being?

So many questions...

edit on 9-10-2012 by D1ss1dent because: thoughts

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

uh if you think things in the afterlife in case you make it up there, are like in real life with

All the grand feelings you experience in life, the love and friendship, the horrible dramatic... sometimes even tragic times that stop your heart?

You are up for a real big and nasty surprise. There is a reason why some souls actually stay on Earth in a lower form such ghosts or poltergeists. Now it could be cause of a natural slower erasing of their existence resulting in a limited form like when you have brain damage and end up as a vegetable.

Most dont see what happen to them when they die but lets imagine a moment that some might know whats going on, not in details but just enough to see they are in danger. What could they do? They got no idea of that new place. Nothing to guide them (anthropocentrists gtfo). There might not even be any space at all. It is a weak analogy but imagine a materialistic old man that hate spirituality suddenly tripping hard on the strongest psychedelic? They just would want to go back to the only place they know where their identity lies. Would they go back? In case they succeed, they end up as a shadow of themselves. Limited consciousness, if any at all, no power, weak, disincarnated and unaware of their surrounding. They might not even feel time at all so interactions are extremely hard.

Death is not an easy thing. But the afterlife is worse. There is a reason why some want to come back so bad they actually succeed: it is extremely selective. Rules, laws, marks, perceptions, everything change but it does not share many similarities with the physical world, in fact id be tempted to say it shares none, exept for the most basic instinct. Survival is not granted in the afterlife and is the more important thing to care of after death.

But the only thing you have is a soul mostly unevolved full of illusions and useless knowledge. Your wisdom from the material world serve no purpose over there. And you have to know that a soul without a shell is like a drop in an ocean trying to sustain its shape. Its extremely selective in the sense that most souls are just melted away with their surrounding resulting in a total erasing of the conscious, unconscious and identity. Pure and virgin energy that will serve some others purposes. This is the bigger picture, to know more you need to actually die.

I know NDE and what people "see" is what their brain found the best to ease their mind as they are dying. It is an automatic state triggered by the brain to calm the conscious. It varies from case to case because of the life experience and beliefs of the mind. Needless to say, it is all subjective and none of it is true. Christian will see jesus, hindus krishna, atheists... who knows?
Maybe they got higher chances to adapt because they dont expect a grand welcome from a pseudo god?

To answer the OP question about non existence i dont think there is a definitive and one answer only. Because non existence in the way of total erasure cannot be explained with words. It would not be black or anything, just nothing no conscious of anything, no identity or memory, not even a bit of awareness, no time. Its like imagining the state of a soulless body that decayed and was absorbed by microorganisms. The body is not aware of anything, and got divised into tiny bits that will feed others beings and become part of the Earth.

Non existence as life after death assuming you survive. I guess its where the real thing begins. Dont get me wrong, the life on Earth is not useless. It is a way amongst many others to survive and exist. But id say the best lies in the very fact that the World (not the physical world that is only a fraction) is infinite and full of unknown and uninimaginable possibilities. So when you are able to freely go where you want and incarnate anywhere you want, i guess its the real evolution. And the real excitement.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Your question is a paradox. When you don't exist, you don't have an awareness to imagine with. So to imagine nonexistence, you must first exist. It is impossible to realistically imagine nonexistence.

What a silly question.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I trust we are ALWAYS experiencing LIFE.

Thanks op for the chance to be inspired yet again this morning..... I love it!!!!!!!!

I encourage you and whoever else.. to be more inspired today.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join