It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

climate change - No coffee, no bacon, no chocolate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The original is atributed to the Sydney Morning Herald, but that site always seizes my browser, so this is from Stuff, New Zealand

As well as the 3 headline crops listed below, the article lists honey, fish and BEER as being potentially threatened.....OMG - please...not BEER!!

BEER

Germany's beer-brewing culture has been looking more brauereisterben ("brewery death") than Oktoberfest of late. Water is essential for growing hops and barley, the crops that strict beer-brewing protocols in Germany demand, yet climate change-induced water shortages have resulted in decreased production.

German brewing dropped to less than 100 million hectolitres of production for the first time since 1990, it has been reported.

However, there is a frothy lining around these forbidding figures; in 2009 The European Union funded a major $9 million irrigation system for farmers in Germany so the hops crops can survive drier summers.

Phew - well as long as it isn't the local brew - German beer might well be the bellweather, but it doesn't travel well to the South Pacific, unfortunately, so I won't miss it much!

but still.......CC is perhaps getting closer to home for many??
edit on 8-10-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

L
L
probably the result of whatever is being sprayed/dumped for a variety of reasons, one of them the arrogant, stupid, and ultimately destructive presumption of controlling the weather.

but pay no mind to my paranoid mutterings.

edit on 8-10-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: L
L

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

I am quite sure it is the result of crap being "sprayed" - from cars, trucks, planes, factories, powerplants, etc.

but the article itself isn't about whether CC is human-caused or not - just that it is happening, whatever the cause, and these could be some of its impacts!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Found bacon flavored chocolate this last weekend

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
fools!!!
they have to look to the cannabis farmers whou make their own irrigation systems!!!
history of gravity and water harvesting can't be wrong!
the crops of the aztecs/myans/mexicans!
the hanging gardens of babylon.
the dutch canals!
but if its beer,you need govt. money to make your product!!!
there are actually water retaining polymer 'beads' you can buy that store up to 100% of their wieght in water,and slowly release when their surroundings dictate it!
its funny because they use a 'plastic' for this product,but it can be made eco-friendly out of hemp!!!
win win no?
the only by product of an empty beer bottle is a 10 cent deposit,or something to pee in when your too loaded to get to the washroom in time!!!
just a thought,and by the way,i enjoy my beer!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by reficul

the crops of the aztecs/myans/mexicans!
the hanging gardens of babylon.

And look what happened to them!! Why would beer makers want to follow their examples??

Plus IIRC beer made to ancient precipes is always f-ing awful - another reason not to emulate them!!

And of course they didnt' have hops.....although I think a bit too much is made of hops these days - a lot of micro-beers sem to think that making the stuff as biter as possible is the aim of hte exercise!

the dutch canals!

A response to climate change IIRC.....and also not particularly related to beer, although there is a lot of very good Dutch beer!

but if its beer,you need govt. money to make your product!!!

Really? I didn't realise that back when I was young, on a limited budget, and made my own!

edit on 8-10-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

here here!!!
i delved into the hazy world of home brewing myself,BUT...!
home made beer sux!!!
plastic bottles,sediment,opened early,opened late...
the list goes on!
i'll stick to the name brand beer!!!

i think i will try to make mead with rotten,fomenting honey before i will to try to home brew again!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

I made mead with liquid honey, and cider with commercially bought apple juice off supermarket shelves - dead easy but never really got a recipe I liked.

when I was making beer it was in the days of glass 750ml bottles with crown caps - plastic with screw caps and shaped bases to catch sediment seem like very good ideas!!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Plenty of rain "oooop nooorf" here in the UK - so our beer is safe too! (dropping to knees to thank the gods). Piggies done well here for centuries also, so not worried about a lack of bacon either.

Coffee? Ptah! You can keep it. As a dedicated tea head i spit on your coffee!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Hmm, i think you are firmly in my camp of "can't brew for toffee". I have had several attempts, all have been a disaster. Just about everyone else i know that has attempted home brew gets good to excellent results.

Whereas mine has just made me

No good at growing either. I either water things too much or not enough, either way things die!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Don't ever, EVER, threaten coffee again.

TPTB have been warned.

top topics

join