It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Times Poll: Romney bests Obama, 2-1

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Its the economy Stupid...and the Character of the candidates. Is this why the military absentee vote is being suppressed??

Interesting... Afghanistan appears to be a new normal within the military and not really an issue...

The professional core of the U.S. military overwhelmingly favors Mitt Romney over President Obama in the upcoming election — but not because of any particular military issues, according to a new poll of more than 3,100 active and reserve troops.

Respondents rated the economy and the candidates’ character as their most important considerations and all but ignored the war in Afghanistan as an issue of concern.

Poll results indicate that about 66 percent of those surveyed support Romney, compared with about 26 percent who say they will vote to re-elect President Obama.

When asked about the most important issue guiding their vote this year, about 66 percent of respondents cited either “the economy” or “the character of the candidate.” Less than 16 percent of troops surveyed cited “national security.”

Interesting survey from a rarely heard from corner of our country
www.marinecorpstimes.com...

Just one example of the suppression of the military vote in Wisconsin.

At least 30 Wisconsin municipalities failed to send absentee ballots to military voters before the 45 day deadline, according to former U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs, Anthony Principi, and he's demanding the Government Accountability Board address the problem immediately.

As reported by the website WisPolitics.com, Principi sent a letter to the GAB on Monday pointing out the failure to meet the 45 day deadline is in violation of Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voter Act.

"This violation is particularly unsettling in light of the fact that, only six months ago, a federal court entered a consent decree against Wisconsin and the Government Accountability Board for similar violations of military voting rights," wrote Principi.

www.maciverinstitute.com...

The Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act passed in 2009 and signed into law by Obama, requires states to mail absentee ballots at least 45 days before an election. This law is supposed to be enforced by the DOJ.

Is the Obama admin. controlling this process by manipulating the DOJ with his handmaiden Eric Holder?? I can only imagine!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
While I do expect Romney to win, since the banks have abandoned Obama. And are now contributing to Romney's campaign.

I don't think the Military Times can be considered an accurate or unbiased poll. The majority of military members are conservative. I don't ever remember seeing a military poll that favored a democrat. Most active duty military members are not going to bother voting in the General Election anyway.

And just so I am clear, I despise both candidates and will not be voting for either one.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

At least 30 Wisconsin municipalities failed to send absentee ballots to military voters before the 45 day deadline, according to former U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs, Anthony Principi, and he's demanding the Government Accountability Board address the problem immediately.
(Op Source)

30 Municipalities?? Thats whole areas, of course. Who knows how many individuals. Isn't this the system where we're supposed to be outraged if a single person comes to feel disenfranchised or in the least bit disadvantaged for participating? Hmm...

I found this in another source with explanation on how this shouldn't be a problem to begin with and the fact cities and local areas are left to drop the ball in the first place is a Pentagon problem as much as anywhere else.

Under the Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act (or MOVE Act), which was signed into law in 2009, the FVAP is supposed to assist service members with voting on military installations. This includes providing military members with voter information forms when they check in to a duty station, similar to the "motor voter" programs civilians see at DMV offices.

But a U.S. Department of Defense Inspector General report released in August found that FVAP hadn't set up those voter assistance offices—in part because of funding problems, but also because of resistance from the Department of Defense. After the report came out, Republican Texas Sen. John Cornyn wrote a letter to Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta demanding better voter assistance for the troops.
So urce

Well, I'll agree that we SHOULD be outraged over even a single voter feeling put out or having to work harder than anyone else to vote. The military goes double for the effort they put out. Sounds very much to me like the program passed was intended to eliminate this issue entirely and we have Gates and Panetta to look hard at. Panetta gets the ribbon because he's still serving. The prize goes to the office holder, so the subpoena gets to the right place.

They had since 2009. What, the military not important enough to put the effort into?
The law didn't give a choice...but what are laws these days?

edit on 8-10-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: typo

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Just sad.

So the DOJ has really no intention, of playing by the rules.

I am not surprised.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by jibeho

Just sad.

So the DOJ has really no intention, of playing by the rules.

I am not surprised.

It obviously depends entirely on whose rules and who is being played when it comes to this Justice Department. If Obama wins this, I hope the Dems who are also about tired of Holder put their foot down and demand he be bounced. I know it's totally breaking with tradition for Political appointments to that position...but here is a real concept they could try.

How about the 'Top Cop' in the nation HAVE some law enforcement experience and not just another in the endless line of 100% lawyers. I think the mealy mouthed, mushy minded relativism that is REQUIRED to grasp as a good attorney makes for a really crappy leader. Holder is about as bad as Ashcroft and Reno. Another bad one in a line of them.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The troops really wanted Ron Paul, it was loud and clear when his campaign doubled donations from military individuals more than all GOP candidates combined.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I saw the headline and the first thing I thought was "No duh". I've been around the military my whole life. My father was in ,my sister was, my brother is, my husband is, hell my grandpa was too. In 30 years of being alive and around it, I can actually say I only met one "liberal" in the military. He wasn't a democrat though. He was a very independent thinker (He actually gave me a copy of "The Marxist Reader") and eventually got out and sings in a punk band (a vegan to boot). This poll for me was pointless. The military generally goes for the Republican, that's just the way it is.
edit on 8-10-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
So our forces can fight and die thousands of miles away from home but can't vote?That's an obscene insult to many I hope.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Just to add that my post here was referring to "the numbers"... being skewed.

I think that the article referenced in the OP is much more like the REAL, unadulterated, numbers...

AND, as such, would be a put off to any and all voters.

ie... "Why should I go cast my vote since the numbers are there and O'Romney already won."

They shouldn't be posting these numbers, even if they are the real numbers.

Keep them at 47% - 47% ... then voters can feel like they are still rooting for a "winning team" LOL.

Side note ... Word to the wise:
If you ever catch yourself starting a statement with "I don't think..." OR "I'm afraid ..."
then it's very likely that you aren't thinking and/or are afraid (and very afraid). Yes, it really is that simple.

edit on 10·8·12 by DrMattMaddix because: ... I can!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentX09

It's sad to have to see and note because it transcends politics at any level. This is about doing the right thing and to the thread, all they had to do was follow the law and set up what Congress (2009 Congress..That was the Democratic Congress under Pelosi and Reid for goodness sakes!) demanded they set up.

Money? We're running 1.1 -.1.6 trillion dollar deficits and they want to even say the word money for reasoning on why the legally required system to help the troops vote isn't in place?

Heck... They already DO shortchange the ones who give all by the way.

CALVERTON, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – When you go to a military funeral at Calverton National Cemetery or Pinelawn National Cemetery on Long Island, you expect to hear “Taps” performed live.

However, with federal funding being cut, they may have to switch to a recording as opposed to a live tribute.
Source

Perhaps some just don't want to see how the Military vote may effect things, given how the men themselves have been treated for years. Thank God I had live Taps and I had a VFW Post that sends a Rifle Team out to Military Funerals for my Father's funeral a couple years ago. Taps..was haunting...but a recording is something as the one responsible for planning, I'd have told them to keep. An insult...that non-military people could never understand.

I couldn't understand any military voting for the current admin. There is just little to no respect there at all on the individual level. (and the past is the past is the past on other Presidents who aren't here now, I mean 4 more years of this respect, right here.
)

*Nice Avatar by the way! That's catchy!

edit on 8-10-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

The military skews Republican because that is where their gravy train comes from. Republicans tend to disfavor government spending EXCEPT when it comes to the military. I never had a Republican adequately explain to me whey it is bad to spend a few million dollars feeding poor kids but perfectly okay to spend a few billion dollars on fighter jets.

By the way, I am not trying to defend Democrats or single out Republicans. Democrats are responsible for plenty of gravy trains and plenty of hipocrisy.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I couldn't agree more Wrabbit. The suppression of our fighting men and women's vote is so infuriating I have written my congressman and senator. It is not just that it is a law being ignored, it is an active tactic that is shameless and unpatriotic.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I agree the majority of conservatives support our troops vs. the liberal side. Sad because any one who has fought for my freedom deserves my support. That is a no brainer.

I came across this today and maybe it ties in or not but it is how a lot of us feel. I will let you know before hand I do not support either major candidate at all but I will vote for someone. Just hope some may enjoy this.

One sunny day in January, 2013, an old man approached the White House from across Pennsylvania Avenue where he'd been sitting on a park bench. He spoke to the U.S. Marine standing guard and said: "I would like to go in and meet with President Obama." The Marine looked at the man and said: "Sir, Mr. Obama is no longer President and no longer resides here." The old man said, "Okay," and walked away. The following day the same man approached the White House and said to the same Marine: "I would like to go in and meet with President Obama." The Marine again told the man: "Sir, as I said yesterday, Mr. Obama is no longer President and no longer resides here." The man thanked him . . . and again just walked away. The third day the same man approached the White House and spoke to the very same U.S. Marine, saying: "I would like to go in and meet with President Obama." The Marine (understandably agitated at this point) looked at the man and said: "Sir, this is the third day in a row that you have been here asking to speak to Mr. Obama. I've told you already that Mr. Obama is no longer the President and no longer resides here. Don't you understand?" The old man looked at the Marine and said, "Oh, I understand. I just love hearing it." The Marine snapped to attention, saluted, and said: "See you tomorrow, Sir." .

I just like seeing that Mr. Obama is no longer President! Sorry 4 years have been enough for this gal and 4 more I don't see any good but Romney is equally horrifying!

edit on 10/8/2012 by restlessinMT because: headache!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by AgentX09

It's sad to have to see and note because it transcends politics at any level. This is about doing the right thing and to the thread, all they had to do was follow the law and set up what Congress (2009 Congress..That was the Democratic Congress under Pelosi and Reid for goodness sakes!) demanded they set up.

Money? We're running 1.1 -.1.6 trillion dollar deficits and they want to even say the word money for reasoning on why the legally required system to help the troops vote isn't in place?

Heck... They already DO shortchange the ones who give all by the way.

CALVERTON, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – When you go to a military funeral at Calverton National Cemetery or Pinelawn National Cemetery on Long Island, you expect to hear “Taps” performed live.

However, with federal funding being cut, they may have to switch to a recording as opposed to a live tribute.
Source

Perhaps some just don't want to see how the Military vote may effect things, given how the men themselves have been treated for years. Thank God I had live Taps and I had a VFW Post that sends a Rifle Team out to Military Funerals for my Father's funeral a couple years ago. Taps..was haunting...but a recording is something as the one responsible for planning, I'd have told them to keep. An insult...that non-military people could never understand.

I couldn't understand any military voting for the current admin. There is just little to no respect there at all on the individual level. (and the past is the past is the past on other Presidents who aren't here now, I mean 4 more years of this respect, right here.
)

*Nice Avatar by the way! That's catchy!

edit on 8-10-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)
I completely agree.This is wrong on a FEW levels actually.Side note I was raised on L.I.and know that cemetery.And Symbiot took my idea and made it happen for the avatar,lol.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by restlessinMT

I agree the majority of conservatives support our troops vs. the liberal side.

No the GOP doesn't support the troops they support the war machine. If the GOP supports the troops so much then why wasn't they mentioned at the RNC? And the military leaders will back the GOP because of the kick backs they receive from the arms dealers.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

That is because they have Fox on every base 24-7. Romney is fox´s little bitch. All the people who choose what is news for the country always favor their pick of good old golden boys. Romney makes the promises, the country be damned, and he then gets their support and tons of air time. That in turn means he gets 90% of media coverage the military gets aired on their bases and installations.

They are completely saturated with disinformation. Add to the fact that sometimes only the most desperate and uneducated are the ones to enlist, because everyone else has a stick up their ass and an excuse as why not to serve.....so the military ends up not representing the country in political ideologies.

That is not to say it is the norm, but many join out of desperation and lack of opportunities, so they believe what the news tells them, and the only available news is what they are going to believe. You do get the best and brightest as well, but I guess we have to join and see for ourselves to really be able to give a valid answer as to why.

edit on 9-10-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
reply to post by restlessinMT

I agree the majority of conservatives support our troops vs. the liberal side.

No the GOP doesn't support the troops they support the war machine. If the GOP supports the troops so much then why wasn't they mentioned at the RNC? And the military leaders will back the GOP because of the kick backs they receive from the arms dealers.

Kick backs from arms dealers? You got to be kidding. The rules for getting so much as a pencil from a contractor are incredibly strict and the GAO ang the IG are quick to investigate any sort of malfeasance in the aquisition process. Real life ain't a Dr Strangelove movie, mate.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
it's amazing to me that the support military families get from the programs put in place by Obama, are totally left out by the OP, along with the GOP cutbacks in veterans benefits totaling billions of dollars when they were in power in the first 8 years of this decade. why do people believe what the republicans say? romney proved they will lie to get your vote by doing a 180 reversal in the debate on most every policy he has been advocating for the last year.
edit on 9-10-2012 by jimmyx because: syntax

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

yeah, Romney is the F-ing anti Christ as far as I am concerned. I really don't like that guy. Well, more than that. I could not like him and still respect the hell out of him.

I actually hate him and hope he never even gets a tour of the WH after these elections, though I know he has already bought the elections and is merely putting up a good show, trying to get as many actual votes, legal and not, to pass off the scam.

This guy is a pathological thief and liar. Romney will not only do the opposite of everything he says, literally, the opposite, but will laugh and take great pleasure screwing us over.

My only regret is that by the time I enlist, he will be my commander and chief, and an oath is an oath.

That said, god damn this guy is scum.

edit on 9-10-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Most of the military does not suscribe the Army Times or cruise its website.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join