It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oppositional defiant disorder [ODD] -- Now This Is Some Nonsense

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

My good sir, I have lived with knowing I have ODD for 20 years, even in knowing that I still display very self destructive anger issues. It's something I have gotten better at controlling over the years but my anger still scares the hell out of my now wife. It takes certain things that tend to "annoy" me to set me off but once I'm on one there's not a whole lot I can do about it. Fortunately I've been able to control it to a point where it remains mostly "violent talking" and not so much physical anymore. When I was 9 I remember getting so pissed and busting every window in the house out and I don't remember why to this very day. You cannot say I didn't get proper discipline growing up as I had a very proper raising and I was constantly reminded of manners, respect, etc. Was I medicated for it? Sure, my parents had the doctor try me on over a dozen medicines but in the end my parents let me work it out on my own as the medicines all had scary side effects. Ritalin had recently came out and they tried me on that (not sure if for the ADD, Insomnia or ODD) but I had walking nightmares that people were after me. And yes I DO have ADD and I take offense to people telling me otherwise, I will admit the disorders have been abused as an excuse but for some of us it's a very REAL thing and we do have to live with it. So please be respectful us, it's not an easy life after all.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Whomever runs society are pieces of sh*t, we live in a bad place

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by kalebvickers

My good sir, I have lived with knowing I have ODD for 20 years, even in knowing that I still display very self destructive anger issues. It's something I have gotten better at controlling over the years but my anger still scares the hell out of my now wife. It takes certain things that tend to "annoy" me to set me off but once I'm on one there's not a whole lot I can do about it. Fortunately I've been able to control it to a point where it remains mostly "violent talking" and not so much physical anymore. When I was 9 I remember getting so pissed and busting every window in the house out and I don't remember why to this very day. You cannot say I didn't get proper discipline growing up as I had a very proper raising and I was constantly reminded of manners, respect, etc. Was I medicated for it? Sure, my parents had the doctor try me on over a dozen medicines but in the end my parents let me work it out on my own as the medicines all had scary side effects. Ritalin had recently came out and they tried me on that (not sure if for the ADD, Insomnia or ODD) but I had walking nightmares that people were after me. And yes I DO have ADD and I take offense to people telling me otherwise, I will admit the disorders have been abused as an excuse but for some of us it's a very REAL thing and we do have to live with it. So please be respectful us, it's not an easy life after all.

I can sympathise with your condition and where you are coming from. Frankly a lot of the replies to this thread seem very misinformed with people dismissing ODD as complete medical gibberish.

I have three girls, my eldest is globally delayed and has learning difficulties, she is in a special school. My youngest was unfortunately born with erbs palsy, but copes well enough and goes to mainstream school where she does well. My middle daughter Sophie was diagnosed three years ago with ADHD and ODD and also suffers from epilepsy and has complex partial seizures. As a child Sophie was always the odd one out, she didn't cope well in social situations, shyed away from people who came too close, and would often react with extreme temper when something upset her. On top of this she was always hyperactive. Her maturity is that of a much younger child, she does not play with kids her own age, she suffers from anxiety when put under pressure and either reacts with violent behaviour or withdraws completely.

A few years ago Sophie started having fits and so we took her to the doctor, and it was during this time that we also discussed her strange behaviour. Her behaviour had been flagged up before, but the educational psychologist had said that because she was coping well with her schoolwork there was nothing she could do. She would stand in a doorway to stop the teacher from getting out, or hide under a desk when she felt she was not winning a situation, and at other times she would simply scream. She underwent a number of tests and was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD. The ADHD can be medicated, the ODD cannot, and for someone who lives with this condition day in day out, let me tell you it is no joke.

Sophie gets frustrated more with herself than anyone, as she often cannot control her outbursts. And before anyone even mentions bad parenting again I'd like to point out that my girls are all top of their class at school, they read and are read to, they spend quality time with me and I listen to what they have to say. I discipline them when appropriate, but never with physical violence, because it stands to reason that trying to teach a child who is violent not to do such things by being violent is counterproductive. My other two children cope very well socially, have lots of friends and are very happy-go-lucky. The difference between their temperament and Sophie's is highly noticeable. Sophie is highly intelligent, devours books and when she's in a good mood is a very loving child, but it's like living with Jeckyl and Hyde. One moment she is calm and serene, the next she will be screaming that she hates you, she will kick out and lash out, we can't put her in time out as she will bang her head off the wall. There is a VAST difference between children who are merely badly behaved and children with ODD. The doctor has told us that the area of the brain which is affected also causes her epileptic fits which are a physical symptom. I defy anyone to live with someone who has this condition for a week and then come back to me and say that it is merely psychological dribble. Despite everything we have had to go through with her I love my daughter to pieces, and if I have anything to do with it she will grow up to be a happy and productive member of society.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Good point, Wrabbit. Exceptionalism without prior approval from
the brain doctor society is being slowly but surely redefined as
non conformance, then abberant behavior. It's about control,
always has been. If somebody out there with a couple of synapses
still firing to rub together seems to disagree with the "Way Things Are",
he's 'mentally ill' now. We can drug him up until incapable of cognitive
discernment, and give out a properly fitting curly suit.
I'm beginning to believe the three most dangerous words strung
together in English are "We know better." As in the APA Document
Commitee that allowed a flap in the media like "Whoever mistrusts
the federal government is mentally ill.."
Two plus two is the cube root of sixty-four.PERIOD. And dead
is starting to look a whole lot better than this ineptly managed
hell on Earth. Help, I'm surrounded by twits with federal grants.
And a tidbit for the conspiracy.. did the DC need to table the
release of the DSM5 twice because it was more full of logical
holes than the 4 was before the Text Revision version?? Note--
they even redacted "Emotional" out of the latter title for possibly
a CYA (?). And what would you like for topping on your tort kids?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I don't know. One of my closest friends has a family member who was diagnosed with this as a teenager after a turbulent childhood of behavioral problems. And I don't mean just a little. He would intentionally do things, regardless of the discipline received as a result, just to defy his parents. I'm not talking about being an independent thinker or trying to stick it to the man. I'm talking about malicious, intentional, "I will do everything I can just to be contrary to what I know they want, even if it hurts me and everyone else around me," destructive (and self-destructive) behavior.

He was committed briefly, but they couldn't afford to keep him there, and he convinced the psychiatrists that he was a calm, rational individual. As soon as he got out... back to the same behavior. Only then did the hospital (when he landed back there) realize that he had knowingly pulled the wool over his eyes. He has a history of lying to every family member, friend, and romantic partner he has ever had, even the one family member who kept forgiving him and doing everything they could to help him in any way possible, including putting a roof over his head.

He eventually ended up in prison for credit card fraud, theft, and illegal gambling, all because the temptation of outsmarting the system and bucking any and all forms of perceived rules and authority was more important and relevant to him than any possible consequences.

I have trouble not defining a compulsive behavior that one feels they absolutely must engage in at all times regardless of any conceivable consequences, as a disorder. But at the same time, I don't like labeling or quantifying things such that people become pigeonholed. And I understand why the crudely stated and incredibly vague symptoms listed being grouped into a disorder would rub people the wrong way. So I don't know what to call it, if anything. But I definitely feel something along these lines can and does exist as some form of "disorder," regardless of what we call it.

Just a subjective opinion. Feel free to disagree. Peace.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

BUMP, Tenth. I'd like to live part-time on this thread to see the support
for drugging people who don't conform to the System. It seems the
Trotsky Beard has replaced the Grougho Moustache. Half the 'psychological
designations' designed over the last thirty years, maybe longer have been
nothing but handles with which to control unruly people. Might as well get
them young... making me indeed grateful every night for being childless.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
It's scary because once you have a disorder, medications and regimens can be created to try and "cure" it. Most people I knew in school "suffered" from this one... At one point or the other.

It's all about the money, Boncho...GOD is the alphabet agency intitals for
Grab Our Dough. If you TREAT a symptom, you create a revenue stream.
The people who create a symptom out of thin air and give it political traction
are to me the most dangerous people out there... and boy are they out there.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
As a teacher, I've worked with one child who truly had ODD.

I had him in first and second grade, and his behavior was so completely out of control that he was a danger to everyone and himself.

Every child goes through periods of rebellion, that's part of the growing process. It's not ODD. Disagreeing with a teacher, not doing your homework....not ODD.

Throwing desks around the room when asked to sit down, that's ODD.

What was really sad, this child couldn't comply even when he wanted to. For example, I asked him to line up for recess. He wanted to go to recess, but he just couldn't comply. His favorite phrase was "Never,". So he shouted never and started swinging.

As far as I know, there's no medicine for ODD, it's mainly therapy. If you have a child with ODD, you will know it, because behavior is extremes e irrational.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I am a bit interrested in psychology. I studied some aspects of the topic. Now this is, I agree, disgusting. If I wanted to have a kid like this, do you know what I would do? I would buy myself a robot.

This... ODD thing is an offence to a child's free will.

I feel the psychologists are trying to "reform" people into TPTB's way of thinking. This science is getting corrupted. It's only logical and inevitable.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Where is the discussion regarding the exception? They seem to imply here that these symptoms are a direct result of ODD or some similar disorder. Personally I just find it far too vague, but then again I'm not a psychologist or anything so maybe I'm reading this stuff all wrong.

I took 3 years of psychology, It is vague because it is deceptive. The Main objectives are to manipulate, experiment and control behavior and anyone who is truthful in the field can not deny that. Beware of those who say otherwise.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Ugh. My dumbass brother tried to say one of my nephews has this b/c he wasn't listening to him and getting in trouble by skipping school drinking etc. Newsflash bro, this diagnosis is only used till the kid turns 18, because kids can't be diagnosed with anti-social personality disorder.

He tried to claim the same BS that nephew had adhd, when the kid had no problems playing video/games or watching cartoons. I don't know if nephew was ever tested for it, but I know he was never prescribed meds. The problem (in most cases) is the parents.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by buffet of lies

Videogames and television addiction is actually characteristic of ADHD, when they play brains release dopamine, which they normally have a low amount.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
My niece has ODD, and let me tell you, it is a read disorder.
There is a big difference between a child just not wanting to listen to authority and ODD.
ODD children will become violent and either hurt themselves, or others, or both when they feel threatened or disrespected. At least that has been my experience with it.

Just my 2 cents

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The "New Age" people would call these Indigo Children as they show ODD behavior simply because they are "smarter" and more evolved, DNA-wise. In fact, some claims says these Indigo Children have 3 strands of DNA active.

Mook

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mookie2112

Well whatever the reason for the reactions to injustice or perceived injustice,
it is certainly a problem for the child.

I was kicked out of every school I went to until I was sent to an alternative center where I fit in with all of the other kids. I saw and experienced what is labeled as ODD. Back then they didn't have a label for it other than emotionally disturbed.
My niece has it pretty bad,
but is learning to control it better as she gets older.
Tis a learning process.
edit on 9-10-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I read about this a couple weeks back and thought "wow....yet another label." I am so tired of the constant barrage of new medical conditions kids are getting labeled with. While there are some genuine cases that really do need some sort of help, most of the issues kids have could be cleared up with proper diet. I know this because it was suggested to me a long time ago and I have done it with my kids after they began having issues as well. The one I do is gluten free and most would be surprised at how well it works and the turn around in behavior after just a couple weeks. I wish more would try natural remedies before just going with what a doctor says when they are getting paid to diagnose kids by the pharma companies....my father is a doctor so I do know how it works.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Can't wait to see what kind of drug Big Pharma comes out with to control this "disorder." Heck I wonder what the side effects will be.... zombie type state, inability to say No, loss of sex drive (sorry perv's there will be no taking advantage of the zombie patients), uncontrollable appetite for brains etc...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
ODD needs to be treated with therapy and not drugs IMO

2nd line

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
ODD needs to be treated with therapy and not drugs IMO

2nd line

Agreed.

I would take it one step further and say prison systems need therapy instead of isolation.

Mind you some people have done some horrific crimes and maybe should be isolated and kept away from others, but leaving them alone with their obviously deranged thoughts I think will only invoke more of the same.

Like getting your car stuck in the snow. Hitting the gas is only going to dig yourself in deeper.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mookie2112
The "New Age" people would call these Indigo Children as they show ODD behavior simply because they are "smarter" and more evolved, DNA-wise. In fact, some claims says these Indigo Children have 3 strands of DNA active.

Mook

I was quite surprised when I first read about Indigo children about a year ago, described my ADD/ODD son quite well.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join