A picture is worth a thousand words...

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

A buddy of mine posted this picture on his FB page, he is an ex-marine who served in Iraq back in the early parts of the war and when I saw this picture it really moved me. I feel that all too often today, citizens of this country take freedom and their lives for granted. They don't take into account for all those men and women who gave up their lives defending this country, from the younger years of USA to now. I understand that to some the US military is a HUGE monster today, to a certain respect they are probably right, but in all, I do feel that they do good for the world today. They make me feel safe every day and I thank them for keeping USA one of the greatest countries around.

I understand that there are quite a few members on ATS who hate USA, you have your reasons and you can feel free to hate us all you want. I'm not always proud of the things my Govt. does, but in today's times who ever is? Can anyone state with confidence that their countries Govt. never does anything wrong or a little ****ed up?

Anyways, the picture moved me and I thought I'd share it with the rest of the ATS community.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I did a tineye search to see who the artist who and came back with zero results. I agree, it is a moving picture and it speaks very well of the sacrifices made by so many men and women. There have been just and unjust causes to fight for though it is not for our troops to decide which it is. They go as ordered to do so if you have a complaint about unjust wars (which I do) blame the politicians who send them, not the men and women in uniform.

When you study the horrors of war (or have lived through them) you know the sacrifices and deprivations suffered by those in uniform. To willingly place yourself in harm's way for the good of others is commendable though not recommended in this day and age of manufactured enemies and wars for corporate influence.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I agree with you and what makes me sad is when they soldiers return from duty and are treated like crap by people around the country, even our own Govt. I can tell you how many times I've heard stories from soldiers about the VA... I just wish people cared more for those who have fought/defended to help maintain this country to what it is today.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Nice pic SnF

Looking at the pick, the soldiers look British, probably WWI at a guess don't know if that would help identifying the artist ?

As for me, my employment has had me somewhat removed from society, on occasions, certainly earlier on in my career I would reintegrate myself....or at least try to

But over time found myself becoming disgusted with this so called civil society, and the more I saw, the more I experienced, the more disgusted I became

Now I have intentionally removed myself
I still have a few civilian friends ....real salt of the earth types, that I keep close, but for the rest.............I'd rather hang out with the Taliban. At least they have values, morals, a cause, and respect, believe in something bigger than themselves.......you get my drift ?

"Did you know that 6 billion chickens die in slaughter houses each year? What if there was a species above us in the food chain? How do you think you'd feel if that species lost total respect for us,and started slaughtering us wholesale"?

"Do you understand it ?"

A little dark I know......sorry

One of them days

edit on 8-10-2012 by Neocrusader because: (no reason given)
edit on 8-10-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I notice by their uniforms that they are all British soldiers. Would the picture still have its relevance if they were German SS?

The soldiers of the SS thought they were defending the people and the peace of their home, too.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by jhn7537

I notice by their uniforms that they are all British soldiers. Would the picture still have its relevance if they were German SS?

The soldiers of the SS thought they were defending the people and the peace of their home, too.

A US Marine posted the pic so I took it as the US military... I guess you can make any interpretation of what the uniform looks like, but when I see that picture all i see is USA

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader
Looking at the pick, the soldiers look British, probably WWI at a guess don't know if that would help identifying the artist ?

American soldiers wore the same uniform as the Brits in WW1 though what looks like a Vickers machine gun would lead me to second your answer. The seaside view above also lends itself to idea of the scene portraying British soldiers.

I have to agree with you about our so-called "civil" society which only exists at the threat of violence, extortion or other measures to ensure control. What's going on today is insidious, our leaders pretending to be "decent, Christian values, etc" while lining their pockets with money from big banks and corporations to do their bidding while ignoring the working people of the country. Meanwhile the media does their best to bury any important news and make the politicians look good. Yep, we're pretty much screwed.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Yeah the vickers was kinda the clincher ....that and the putties
but then before high leg boots many nations armies used them

But yes .......basically we're f***ed if we keep our current course
But just blaming the media, bankers, corporations, politicians isn't addressing the full problem, just look around at the plain self:- gratification, glorification and obsession of people, countries and society itself

Easy to see how people can be considered cattle, just as easy to control and driven by nothing more than oneself's selfish desires .......regardless of who or what is ruined along the way .....a very simple existence........just like an animal.........hell even some animals have a better society than us
edit on 8-10-2012 by Neocrusader because: Auto

Thanks for tineye

Been looking for a good reverse image search system
Just to make sure my avatar isn't being used anywhere or by anyone else
edit on 8-10-2012 by Neocrusader because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Notice the soldiers are actually at home defending the home turf though.

If we were to draw this today: You would see the people looking out of the field with their pockets empty and hanging, working double jobs with no parent at home, as underpaid teachers are left raising dozens if not hundreds of children at a time, while bags of money are flown in helicopters overseas where the soldiers are busy fighting other soldiers and civilians who ARE standing on their home turf fighting for the people they believe they are protecting.

Come on... life and conflict is more complex than this sort of wishful thinking. Just because a person is in the military does not mean they are automatically doing good anymore than a Priest is automatically a saint or a Doctor isn't going to overcharge you, etc. Especially in a career where following orders more or less without question is required by law.

How much of our strength is HERE to do what those soldiers are doing if we were attacked by surprise by a real invasion? They are all perpetually over THERE.

This is not about hate, or even distrust of the military... it is about refusing to be lied to about why my friends are being asked to die fighting to defend me from people who cause us less harm than most of our home country mega-corporations. It's about wanting to remove any blinders about what they are really being used for and really putting their lives on the line for.

It's about demanding that if they are going to put themselves at risk... it's for a TRUE threat. Not an "opportunity" for ulterior motives. It's about asking a person to research what they are putting their life and the strength of their own families on the line for. About why they are willing to risk their child or wife or husband losing them... what that risk is REALLY for, not what rah rah speeches that a decade later we are told "Ooops, our mistake, bad intel. Thanks for the service though... you are a hero to Halliburton etc! Best of luck getting your treatment for injuries and mental anguish!"

It's that I (we) don't take ANY SOLDIER'S life for granted that we're so frustrated and angry to see how they are being used and manipulated.
edit on 8-10-2012 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheConclusion

When I see this picture I don't see soldiers defending home turf, but instead their sacrifices is why the happy couple can live a peaceful life up above.. The soldiers are like the foundation of our country, which comes below in this picture.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Do you believe that is how the human beings wearing those uniforms with families and friends wishing they could hold them are genuinely being utilized right now and the past couple of decades?
edit on 9-10-2012 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Great post, OP. A very sensible post... Makes one think alot.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErgoTheConclusion
reply to post by jhn7537

Do you believe that is how the human beings wearing those uniforms with families and friends wishing they could hold them are genuinely being utilized right now and the past couple of decades?
edit on 9-10-2012 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

Yes, to a certain degree I feel that our soldiers are treated like sh*t (pardon my french) nowadays... Before you go to war they're given all the support one could ask for, but once they return from combat they are tossed away like trash. From VA treatment to PTSD to vets from our recent wars (Iraq/Afghanistan) who are now living on the streets because they aren't getting proper treatment, its just sad...

Just the other day I saw a homeless man, young kid, probably mid 20's with a sign stating he was vet from Iraq, homeless and hungry... The guy could have been lying, will never know, but I went out of my way to try to help him, some money and a warm meal... Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to take on helping another individual right now, I'm trying to maintain myself in today's trying times, but I do know of someone who should be able to help, OUR Govt... Unfortunately, when they don't have a use for you anymore, they don't really care...

top topics

join