It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Runic Divination and Magic?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Any of you here use runes? Just curious.

I just want to get the ball rolling. I will talk more if anyone is interested.

[edit on 17-10-2004 by Yngwie]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Hi Yngwie...I dont know much past what i have read about runes.or runic symbols. Are they used like Tarrot cards? or is their a differnt use for them.
were they developed by the Celtic people or do they go further back than that.
Parker

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I regually use elder furthark runes, mainly for divination but also for healing...
And I'm currently making a set of weather stones, also.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Lady Cool, I just have a elder Futhark set. Still learning on the whole subject. The runes were originated to the anglo-saxons, germanic, and norse tribes (if my knowledge is correct).

Any good books you can reccomend Lady?

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
*EDITED*
Agh, if they talk about these following things the books are virtually worthless(I got food now so I can think better)

Taken from www.mackaos.com.au... (Modifyed a bit by me but it is basically the same as the one there)

1) If they talk about Celtic, Druid, or Witch Runes. No such thing, don't bother reading further. The Runes were always a Germanic (Scandinavian, English, German) phenomenon.

2) If they use a blank rune. A recent invention. See article at www.mackaos.com.au...

3) If they present the Runes in a non-futhark order. See above article. The order is important and historical (shown in the bars above and below this section).

**Just advice Below**
4) Look up "Runes" in any respectable encyclopedia. If you are serious, go to a library and photocopy the sections on runes from the encyclopedias. Look up some history books while you are there. You will then be able to see for yourself that 95% of the New Age runic books and websites are completely inaccurate and useless.

Now for Nalatroz to get some food.

*EDITED*

[edit on 18-10-2004 by Nalatroz]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
My friend recommended me "The Runic Workbook" Said it was the best one he read out of the many he has gotten. I bought it and it seems fairly nice.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I use a set of Nordic Runes.

By the way, the Wyrd rune was not a recent invention. If it had been invented in 1982, then how could its concept have been taught in schools years before then? I have never heard of it being called Odin's rune though. Wyrd stands for fate and has been used to represent this for as long as the art of Rune Casting has existed.

www.mala.bc.ca...

[edit on 18-10-2004 by daniel191159]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Heh my family has been using runes since at least 1100 AD and we have never made use of 25 runes. Only 24. The wyrd-rune(or odins-rune as it also called) is a recent invention, since about 85% of the books on runes out there are for a lack of a better word: #. They are just aking advantage of the trendyness of runes with the coming of the new agers(Blasted teens, well I shouldn't talk about the blasted since I am 18 myself) to make a quick buck. While that being said wyrd does mean fate but it wasn't in the Elder Futhark. It was just used in regular language.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Yes, in fact, I'm into Runes, both the Nordic types and the Ogham. I use them for guidance and various types of spirit work. Since I'm Wiccan, the only spell work I'd do with them is on myself.

The "Wyrd" Rune IS a newer invention -- you can look at it as a "useful modernization" or an "intrusive artifact into an older system." I use it as a useful modernization, but that's up to the individual.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
The "Wyrd" Rune IS a newer invention -- you can look at it as a "useful modernization" or an "intrusive artifact into an older system." I use it as a useful modernization, but that's up to the individual.

This interests me. Would you be able to give me a link to a historical site that would help me in seeing things from this perspective?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I'm very passionate about the runes, and am working on a book, as well as a meditation music CD. My site is Rune Secrets. You can find it at:

[link removed]

I hope you'll come and visit, and subscribe via email if you like the content. Remember you can post comments on any entry and expect a fairly quick reply!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.abovetopsecret.com...
4) Advertising: You will not advertise or promote other ... websites on ATS within posts...

[edit on 10-4-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

new topics

top topics

join