It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's it like living in China for the past 6 years without going back home ? Ask me! PART 1

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Forced to work to live, forced to work and live in the same place in the manner of a slave, because there really isn't many other options for many, but then saying its free will that they choose to do that?

I used to live at work.

They called it the service. Navy, actually.

It was great, lots of sailing and travel.

What is wrong with living in a barracks?
edit on 20-10-2012 by kawika because: add quote

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by absente

China isn't a republic, or a representative government, it is a totalitarian government that has adopted communism, and of course those who adopt to party line live high on the hog, but everyone else lives like a slave.

For people like you, I'm sure the system seems great, but for everyone outside of the conformist inner circle life sucks. Such a system is fine in the short term, but in the long term it will self destruct. The large cracks are already there.

everyone else like slaves? Have you been to china? Yes, there
are poor people, just like everywhere else in the world. Yes,
there is corruption in the government, just like every goverment
in the world.

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
There are some interesting comments here, though I am also one not entirely in agreement with the OP's perspective. Not that it he is wrong or innacurate, just that there is more to it - there's always two sides to every story.

As a very long-term expat, I've had my fair share of rorts over the years, both big and small scale (at the same time, had just as many rorts on prices and dishonest practices in my home country). That said, incidences of honesty, generosity and genuine goodwill from Chinese have massively outweighed any such rorts by a factor of hundred to one or more at rough estimate.

It's true too that foreigners are generally targetted with higher prices, only at markets and smaller stores as a rule, but that's easy to get around once you know the prices, not hard once you've been in China for a while. Getting local prices is pretty easy. And bargaining at markets is standard fare. Doing business is another matter and yes, pretty cut-throat, but where isn't?

The main point I disagree on though would be service. I find the opposite: I have not been to another country, ever, which is more service oriented and done with humility and goodwill than China. Got a problem with electricity? One phone call and the local govt electrician (on 24-hr call) is round in 15-20 minutes, fixes the problem with a smile, all free of charge. Similarly with other utility companies.

I bank with two state banks, and the service has been exceptional. Fast, friendly, and free of charge (or very very minor built in charges). I find the banks actually bend over backwards to fix problems, and getting on to a friendly customer service manager on the phone is two clicks away, not a 20-minute wait and 20 auto-menu button choices away as my experience outside China. In fact. my experience with banks out of China has been a most unpleasant opposite from the service profferred in China.

Want to fly overseas? A quick phonecall, and your tickets are delivered within a couple of hours to your door. And as with nearly all deliveries, people come at the time they specified.

Restaurants too, always friendly and even over serviced if anything. I could go on but don't want to bore...

I would say though OP, I hope you have left for at least 30 consecutive days over the past 6 years, as technically you are now required to be taxed on, and declare, your worldwide income if not (after 5 years). The government is cracking down on expats and taxes too, and it's something they can hold over your head should you fall foul on some matter with them. Also, if you've been doing visa runs to HK or elsewhere, sounds like you have most likely been working illegally at some stage. Be careful of tax evasion, as there is no statute of limitations in terms of time that the government can pursue you on work performed, but tax evaded. Your entry and exit dates are kept and it is not difficult for them to check....I know several expats who have been audited. Big fines and even jail time can apply. Not being a smartarse or suggesting anything as you are probably aware of this and indeed everything may be above board, just noting as it always pays to keep a clean nose so to speak.
edit on 21-10-2012 by cloudbreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

Hmm, maybe I am wrong about working conditions in China.

factsanddetails.com...

Me thinks our biggest problems in the west are that the bankers have got us by the balls.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Truly liked the thread , i' m truly interested in telling about more of your experiences in china in part 2 .

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join