It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Turkey and Syria At War Yet? Sixth day of shelling.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Turkey claims not to be but I aint so sure.

Turkey has returned fire after mortar from Syria landed in Turkey’s Hatay province, Reuters reports. It's the sixth day of retaliation, as Syrian fighting continues to spill across the border.
The round from Syria landed 150-200 meters within Turkey's border in the district of Hacipasa, according to a local official.

rt.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I do not believe a formal declaration of war has been made by Turkey at this point. However they are certainly preparing and posturing for it.

Who ever is actually lobbing these shells into Turkey wants to continue poking, the up until recently sleeping giant.
edit on 8-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I think some times these things are known by other names, and generally in hindsight, like Twilight war, where there is sort of a war underway, but not quite as we know it, or not quite fully developed.

I hope this gets cleared up quickly and de-escalated, mostly because there is a sizable Anglo-French assault force in the region on exercises for the next couple of months.
edit on 8/10/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

It happened ONE time and it landed 200 meters inside Turkey's border... Could it have been, maybe an accident?
Definitely not worth 6 days of shelling in retaliation.

Who ever is actually lobbing these shells into Turkey wants to continue poking, the up until recently sleeping giant.

edit on 8-10-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

I have been seeing more reports of shells landing in Turkey. My count is at two incidents, the first being the shell that landed on a home killing a mother and her three children, as well as injuring many others. A second incident occurred recently were a shell was fired into Turkey to just land in a open field.

Though a serious concern for Turkey, i am with you on that 6 days of shelling does not seem justified at this point. I have yet to see any formal numbers of the Syrian dead as a result of Turkeys retaliations.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Ok, well my mistake. I just heard about the one time but still... I think this is being used as an excuse to draw NATO into their civil war.
Im afraid that Assads days are probably numbered.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

I am still uncertain if they have confirmed that it was the Syrian government forces doing the shelling. There was a thread i saw earlier where the Syrian rebels have claimed responsibility...

There is so much dis information its hard to reveal the truth.

So many interested parties using the Syrian government and the rebel opposition as proxies. I feel very sorry for the innocents that have been effected by this.
edit on 8-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Dang Damascus is at risk.....it's probably time for persons in Damascus to re-locate. I can spot at trend a mile away.!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Turkey have made a statement that they are prepared for war if need be, and have gave the green light for across border operations.

It's ironic because they are been fired upon by the anti-Assad rebels they provided weapons too.

They should know by now that rebels are agreeing to the Wests agenda, not theirs.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The United States has already set a precedent, that no nation requires a declaration of war to actually go to war. I would not expect many or any other nation to go through the formalities anymore. So don't hold your breath for a formal declaration.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Turkey have made a statement that they are prepared for war if need be, and have gave the green light for across border operations.

True, Turkey has voted that cross border operations are a 'go'.

It's ironic because they are been fired upon by the anti-Assad rebels they provided weapons too.
They should know by now that rebels are agreeing to the Wests agenda, not theirs.

Not so sure about this statement however. According to what I can find most articles I'm reading describe the shells entering Turkey are "Syrian mortars" or "Syrian shells", implying whats coming across into Turkey are from the Syrian army, not the rebels. The only article that specifically says the shells are from the Army and not rebels comes from an article posted by BloombergBusinessweek earlier today:

Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu told state-run television on Oct. 6 that the deaths in the town of Akcakale were caused by a D30 type, 122mm artillery shell used only by the Syrian army.
BloombergBusinessweek Sourced article

The article goes on to say:

Turkey may strike Syrian artillery batteries with F-16 warplanes if Syrian shells cause new casualties, Milliyet newspaper said today, without citing anyone.
Source same as above.

This would imply that Turkey feels the mortars hitting their border towns are coming from the army and not the rebels, however, this statement is merely speculation (as far as pending actions go) and since they also do not site a source we have no way of knowing just how reliable this info is.

Since google searches are fickle and it seems no one person pulls the same results do you have any links to show your position that it's rebel mortars that are being lobbed into Turkey? Thanks in advance

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
So many interested parties using the Syrian government and the rebel opposition as proxies. I feel very sorry for the innocents that have been effected by this.
My thoughts exactly! Once again, cui bono? Are there any local powers who would see benefit in the Middle East erupting in flames?

Or, thinking more broadly (or more paranoid) are the American NeoCon/TheoCon cabal still seeking Armageddon to bring on the Rapture? Or am I just too caffeinated this fine Fall morning?

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...(D-30)...

It Seems this mortar shell is actually and artillery round.....
this is much more accurate weapon with a range of 21 km.....
Sounds like what went on was the SYRIANS HAD SOME REBELS BETWEEN THE GUN AND THE BORDER. AND WHEN THEY FIRED IN SUPPORT OF OPERATIONS THEY SHOT A LONG ROUND.....maybe...
Its definately Syrian army piece,,,or a rebel captured one.....

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
No they kissed and made up...
second line
third line
but still 26 Nations Navy's are still in the Gulf - so dont give up hope just yet - WW3 is sure to kick off soon - stay tuned in - someone is bound to screw up...

join