It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eight Posting Faux Pas That Make Me Twitch And Stuff...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

The Secret Agent Man Scenario

When someone posts something totally unfounded and then tried to give it "meat" by saying:

I only know this because of the decades I speng working in covert operations - in THIS particular subject and posses reams of information about it that I cannot legally even begin to discuss or elude to

Ummm... eluding to the undiscosable information you subtly hinted towards you, in point of fact, have already vioated your ( supposed ) non-disclosure agreement. So why stop?

Heff - real world double nought sekrit squirrel spies know the difference between "elude" and "allude", "allude" being to hint at something, and "elude" being to escape OTHER double nought sekrit squirrel spies!

I only know this because of my decades of work... ah hell, never mind! I just read a lot!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I've got a few words that always glitch me that way. Elude and allude are one set. Another got brought up not long ago.... "effect" and "affect". No matter how many times I make the mistake, and am corrected, it just ends up getting confused in my mind again after awhile.

Funny story. Years ago there was a joke about being drunk with a punchline "I've only had tee martoonies ossifer". I told that joke so many times that I actually went through a period where I'd get pulled over and call cops "ossifer" without even realizing I was doing it.

It's been my blessing that mostly I am a verbal creature and "elude" and "allude" are close enough that I get away with using the wrong one!

At any rate, thanks for pointing it out. For the next few weeks, at least, it'll stick!

~Heff

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

No problem - it just confirms that you're not a double nought sekrit squirrel spy! I'm sue you can see the world of difference it would make to them to accidentally give a clue when they were trying to escape! bad form in the spy business!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AeonStorm
reply to post by graceunderpressure

Man, your avatar creeps me out whenever I see it. I become fixated on it and have to hit ESC to stop the motion LOL

People who fixate on my avatar instead of reading my posts.
It's like men who don't look up at my face when I speak.

Just kidding, AS. 'All in good fun...I actually enjoy comments on the little bug-eyed tarsier. One guy said his kids made him load my post over and over so they could see it again.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
#47. People who can't count and
#47 People who won't correct speeling mistakes
edit on 9-10-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

extra DIV

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Since this is in the Rant forum,

I hate it when someone posts a perfectly preposterous heading and you have a snappy, witty, pithy and humorous reply all ready and then you open and read the post, only to find it meaningful, cogent and sensible. Totally ruining what you thought was a good joke.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AFewGoodWomen
^This^

This.

Aww I am so guilty of this!
I will refrain from doing it again for you.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Under the secret agent one you spelled 'violated' wrong.
Give me a cookie.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Athin

Cookie delivered! Twice! All the speculation about moderators secret powers and the only two we really have that matter are two-fer-one stars and the applause feature. The others... total tedium.

~Heff

ETA: I don't misspell terribly often. Usually it's my lackadaisical typing method and an absolute hatred of proofreading that gets me. I am the King of typos!
edit on 10/9/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001

This was great, Heff, Thanks!!

Seriously. I have to ask - did you do this to make me twitch? Page two about two thirds of the way down....

Is there a tonic for this twitching? I think I'm actually seizing now.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The Karma Houdinis... just post a borderline too-rude-to-not-be-blocked comment in a thread so superficially absurd that even the moderators (apparently, judging from their complete absence) think it deserves repeated bashing.

For example (actually my only example so far), a thread involving the subject of timeline shifting. Approximately 80% of the commenters made the faux pas of posting without reading the OP's post all the way through.

Reading it fully was vital when it came to this particular topic. This caused predictable results.

Oh, it was painful. All of the mistaken commenters flew straight to the reply box without reaching one of the OP's key points, just to call the OP a moron for something that they imagined was written. "You actually think Australia literally moved?! Here, look at these old maps, it was in the same place the entire time!"

Meanwhile, I'm reading some of these comments and thinking to myself, "Where the heck are the moderators?" The tone really was that bad.

I still think of it as the worst wide-scale case of "didn't read the OP all the way through" that I'd ever seen.
edit on 11-10-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Then again, I'm not so sure that was what you had in mind when you thought of comment faux pas.
The experience was seriously one of those "grr, don't get me started" subjects. Sorry if it was way off topic.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Ending a sentence in a preposition.

2nd LIne.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
OH yeah, I can't read the colored text either, and I don't try too. I don't like when people's avatar info underneath is in a text color that I can't read without highlighting it.
[snippy]

Yeah, I don't like it if it's over-used -- unless it's in a thread which is purely for amusement.

Solution: just mouse over the multi-colored post while holding down the left-click button on the mouse and it all shows in a nice, easy-to-read blue on a white background.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by k21968

What are you getting at?

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I had to kill my code because it messed up the posting...

Sorry about that.
edit on 13/10/12 by JustMike because: I had to kill my code because -- oh, see above.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by k21968

only ` talk like yoda ` day, on

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join