It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i have a question....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
hey, i have had this question on my mind for a few days, and no answer has come to me yet. here is the question.....

why are children under 18 able to be judged in a court of law as an adult but children under 18 are not able to be in a jury. is it that somehow children are not capible to make the decision of putting someone in jail but they are capible of making the decision to commit a crime...

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 03:29 AM
link   
The short answer to this is because jury pools are selected from the roster of registered voters.

As far as why that age would be 18, you would need to consult an attourney who specializes in constitutional law as I am not sure why the age is set at 18 to vote or enter legal contracts.

But anyway, jurors are selected from registered voters, so that is why you won't see folks under 18 on juries.

Gardenia

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gardenia
The short answer to this is because jury pools are selected from the roster of registered voters.

As far as why that age would be 18, you would need to consult an attourney who specializes in constitutional law as I am not sure why the age is set at 18 to vote or enter legal contracts.

But anyway, jurors are selected from registered voters, so that is why you won't see folks under 18 on juries.

Gardenia

yea, i know that already i just think that its a little discriminate. people are supossed to be judged by a jury of thier peers but if a 13 year old child is there with nobody within 10 years of his age in the jury, how can they call it a jury of your peers. just a little confusing i think

new topics

join