page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+10 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Heavy mortar, rocket fire from Gaza hits southern Israel

www.haaretz.com

Hamas and Islamic Jihad claim responsibility for dozens of mortar shells, Qassams that hit the western Negev; no injuries reported, some damage to residential buildings by shrapnel.

Some 50 rockets and mortar shells from the Gaza Strip hit the western Negev area in southern Israel on Monday morning.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.aljazeera.com

+19 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Most members know my "bias" when it comes to the Palestine/Israel issue, but I do try to keep an open mind and see things from all perspectives.

The first question that pops into my mind is what does Hamas have to gain from this, and what will the Israeli response be?

I believe that this will escalate into a wider conflict. This group that claimed responsibility, could they be a splinter group?

I do recall hearing about inner turmoil within Hamas and the resignation of their leader may have something to do with this lack of control on their behalf.

I hope this cools off because the innocent Israelis do not deserve to have rockets launched at them, and the innocent Palestinians do not deserve the response that is surely to come their way. I wish this would all stop.

This will not look good for Palestine with their upcoming bid for UN recognition.

www.haaretz.com (visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-10-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

"This will not look good for Palestine with their upcoming bid for UN recognition."

my thoughts exactly , it`s also odd how they fired so many shells and didnt hit a single person.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ReptileSkinShoes

Lately I have tried to keep my opening posts as neutral as possible out of respect for fellow members, but I am always suspicious of these rocket attacks since they just don't make sense.

I'm going to wait for official confirmation from the group who claimed responsibility before I jump to any conclusions.

ETA:

I edited my post because I incorrectly stated that an Israeli was killed, but it was in fact a Palestinian who was killed by an Israeli airstrike, according to the Al-Jazeera article.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Blast you. Blast you to heck. (If you'll excuse the language.) I was just reaching for the off switch and you had to give me a dose of reality. I was going to take a shower and get under the blankets. Darn it all. (Can you tell I'm upset?)

May I offer one other crazy possibility? Iran is stepping up the aggressive talk, we've got Syria, Islamic Jihadists popping up destroying things like embassies and temples. Could they possibly be saying "Hey! World! If you want peace here, you're going to have to give us a lot more (whatever it is they want). Out of fear, might the West say, "Sure thing, we'll give you anything you want, just don't spoil our elections? (Or start WW III, whichever one thinks is more important.)

It's a dumb idea, but it makes me happier than thinking that everybody is now officially loony. I was hoping maybe we could find a deal, but if this becomes as popular as Angry Birds, we're done.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
So it begins.

Oh so it begins.

I love saying that.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

I hope this doesn't lead to something like Operation Cast Lead like in 2008-2009.

That was a horrible conflict.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   

yet easily forgotten by the media controlled masses.

Ahh , isnt it amazing what they can wipe from your memory with a few months of propaganda and fear mongering here and there

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I may not agree with all your opinions and perceptions on this situation, but I agree that it is angering.

This is not the news I wanted to hear about when I checked the news site. I have a sinking feeling that this will lead to a lot of innocents being killed.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Dear Corruption Exposed,

I don't think I disagree with you at all. As for my thoughts on this situation, it's just a matter of mental health for me. I really want to think there is some explanation for this, something that I can fit my mind around. Heck I'll take your opinion on this, I'll take anyone's. For me this is not a matter of who is right, it's what solid ground can I stand on to make sense of this?

I just don't want to believe that the spirit of insanity has been turned loose with no other goal than destruction and death.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
According to breakingnews.com Reuters is reporting:

Israel strikes targets in the Gaza Strip after rockets were fired at southern Israel by Palestinian militants - @Reuters

www.breakingnews.com...

I had a feeling this would happen, I wonder how many casualties there were, if any.

And:

More: Hamas, which governs Gaza, and Islamic Jihad say the rockets were fired in response to an Israeli air strike on Sunday - @BBCNews

www.breakingnews.com...

So it was Israel who struck first.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I see it as a test to see what if any reply the Isreali's give.

The militants are watching Iran thumb their noses at Isreal and the west and all they see is a weakness.
The militants in Egypt are 'loosening the ropes' so to speak and turning a deaf ear.
The Hamas leadership is in turmoil and the hard liners are looking for a soft spot.

Luckily the Negev is sparsely populated and no harm has been caused.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Dear Corruption Exposed,

The Middle-East seems to have more of it's share of "I only attacked you, because you attacked me first" commenters. (No, I'm not referring to you, but to the following story) abcnews.go.com...

Israel's military says it has fired on two Gaza members of an al-Qaida-inspired group identified as having been involved in rocket attacks and an infiltration from Egypt. Palestinians say one man was killed.

The military said they were involved in "extensive terrorist activity," including an attack in June where two gunmen crossed into Israel from the Sinai desert and killed a civilian.

Israel did not say whether it hit the two. Ashraf al-Kidra, a Palestinian health official in Gaza said one man was killed and another injured Sunday when their motorcycle was hit by aircraft in the south of the Hamas-controlled territory.

Israel and Hamas have mostly kept an unwritten truce since a short war over three years ago. Attacks have persisted but at a much lower rate.
So, who really shot first? Who knows.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

So, who really shot first? Who knows.

That is a good question...

Please forgive me for allowing my bias based on passed events influence this post but Israel has a history of striking first under the disguise of "thwarting" an attack...which I find hard to believe, especially the way they portray it.

Here are a couple previous examples, please keep in mind that these examples doe not represent every incident but I thought I would share a couple:

An Israeli military spokeswoman said the target was "a terrorist squad that was attempting to place an explosive device by the security fence" in the second such incident this year.

www.aljazeera.com...

An Air Force jet carried out a strike against a rocket cell in the northern Gaza Strip on Friday morning seconds before it fired rockets at Israel. The IDF Spokesperson's Unit said that the aircraft hit two terrorists and succeeded in foiling the attempted rocket attack.

www.ynetnews.com...

As I said, these examples are different than today's incident, but I just wanted to point out that Israel seems to have a machine that allows them to see in the future where they can "thwart" attacks seconds before they happened. I'm not buying it most the time.

Off topic...I hate the word thwart. It should be banished from the English vocabulary

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

It just doesn't make sense!

I believe the story but it's madness. Something very fishy is going on in the middle east.

First the report of Israel shooting down a drone. Then reports of Syria attacking Turkey and now this?!?
Something is wrong guys, it just isn't adding up.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

I have the same feeling as you do. It feels like something is up but I can't seem to narrow it down, all I can do is speculate and that's not very good...brainstorming isn't a bad idea though.

Something is fishy in the ME for sure especially with all the different scenarios unfolding.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

I wonder that too. I wonder if they aren't trying to get Israel to strike (knowing Israel always over does it) and kill Palestinians so more Palestinians will join the cause and the Muslim world will condemn Israel.

Neither Israel or these Palestinian rebels are really helping the Palestinians.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Its not like Hamas has a test range in Arizona. I feel this is a calculated test somehow linked to the drone that was shot down. They are testing their capabilities at a time when they feel IDF retaliation would be politically limited with the minimal damage. Undoubtably, Iran wants to know what retaliation opportunties they have.

Either that, or Hamas is very very stupid

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Neither Israel or these Palestinian rebels are really helping the Palestinians.

It is my belief that Hamas has been infiltrated by people who don't have the Palestinians interests in mind.

There is always the Mossad angle, then there is just plain old fashion corruption. Even though Hamas is an elected party, they are very corrupt just like any other political party and the the fact they are a militant party does not help their cause but if you were a Palestinian caged in the Gaza concentration camp you would want to militarize yourself as well, especially with neighbors like Israel.

Sadly I see this getting much worse before it gets any better.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GeneralMishka

Either that, or Hamas is very very stupid

This can also be easily said about the Israeli government.

They are not as clever as they act, they aren't fooling anyone but the fools now days.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join