It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I find it very ironic that Atheists find themselves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
exempt from their behavior and think that they're not forcing their view points on others. I'm still wondering why any Atheist thinks they can give advice on religion when the very fact they don't believe in it. They must have a secret Atheist Bible laying around with that commandment ruining everything for believers. Sounds pretty selfish to me but then again...most religious extremist are not any better.

I think I'm just tired of the fact, Atheists don't think they are forcing their view point on religion.

Oh well, I guess that is human nature.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Just remember- it is hardly all atheists. The vast majority of atheists don't run around doing such things. You get all types on-line. However, if people have been horrible to you due to your faith, don't sweat it.

I'm determined to try to remain positive about people in general. We all can be difficult and unpleasant to each other. I certainly can't cast stones.
edit on 7-10-2012 by LeSigh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by johngrissom

Well I consider myself a Christian which to me is follower of Christ and I believe Jesus was God.

I have several atheist friends and they all respect what I believe and don't try and push anything on me.

They know I'm set in my ways.

So maybe u have encountered atheists of that sort and I'm sorry you have.

Increase the peace and be strong in your faith.

edit on 7-10-2012 by natalia because: Wanted to

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

I think it's a both empathy and responsibility. Just like Christians who, as missionaries, feel compelled to teach their religion to indigenous people who never asked to be indoctrinated, Christians feel a responsibility to preach and an empathy to help.

Some atheists feel a responsibility to free people from, what they see as, brainwashed superstition and ignorance. Like Richard Dawkins, who feels a responsibility to teach the alternative to creationism and thwart those who would attempt to silence him and others, keeping children in the dark of other alternatives to Genesis.

Atheists that speak out and "preach" are only trying to free the souls of those they feel are being trapped and enslaved by religious indoctrination that doesn't make sense to them. They do it out of empathy, even though they may come across as rude.

Christians are just as guilty of insensitivity in that way as well.
edit on 7-10-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
They're just trying to make the world a smarter place.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I don't think your talking about "us" in general, though I am not actually an aethieist, I do believe in some form of "God" just not the rediculous fairy tales of the religions. As I can't think of a single instance in my several times reading the "christian bible" where "God" wasn't a hypocrite, and guilty of the exact same evil blamed on lucifer.

This is of course not to mention the many times it says if your conscience doesn't say it is wrong than it is not a sin, if that were the case why the "ten commandments"? Or the seven deadly sins? Or the need to have a "church" validate your beliefs?

It just all seems very ridiculous to me, however this is simply my belief, and not "forced" on anyone. All 3 of my kids believe in the christian God, and go to church regularly, although they know my beliefs, and have even had conversations with me about it, I do not stifle their spiritual growth, or beliefs, as I have already explained to them, that it is an intensely person decision, and can only be made by the individual outside of anyone elses oppinion or statements.

I almost exclusively see the religious types trying to "force" their oppinions about this subject on others, not the other way around. Look at history, times are not that much different than they were in the past. Aetheists for the most part don't really discuss religion much unless another brings the subject up first, as we don't really spend a lot of time worrying about some supernatural peeping tom watching and judging our every move.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by johngrissom
exempt from their behavior and think that they're not forcing their view points on others. I'm still wondering why any Atheist thinks they can give advice on religion when the very fact they don't believe in it. They must have a secret Atheist Bible laying around with that commandment ruining everything for believers. Sounds pretty selfish to me but then again...most religious extremist are not any better.

I think I'm just tired of the fact, Atheists don't think they are forcing their view point on religion.

Oh well, I guess that is human nature.

I've never had an atheist try to "convert me" to their beliefs. I have, however, had christian fanatics of many different denominations condemn me for not accepting their dogma, and can't count how many times I've been threatened with going to hell if I don't revisit my theological beliefs.

I'm not atheist, but I do share many of their beliefs, and I'm not adverse to debating christian belief issues. No, I don't consider myself a christian, though I do believe in Jesus' existence and in the overall message of hope that he tried to share with his followers. I understand christian beliefs. I have family members that are Catholic, Mormon, Baptist and other christian denominations. I attended a private all girls Catholic school for 13 years. I've heard the stories, I've studied the scriptures, and I just can't bring myself to believe that the God I believe in is the same that most mainstream christians believe in. I believe in fairness for all, and believe that was the true message that Jesus wanted to share, however all I see from the christian community is intolerance of minorities, hate for non christians, marginalization of women, and a very in your face attitude of "our way is the only right way and your thoughts and beliefs don't matter. You WILL submit to our belief system whether you like it or not, and we'll do everything in our power to change laws as we see fit, even if they restrict your rights as an individual."

I'm tired of the threats and intolerance. I'm tired of hearing about an all loving God who died for us all, but will condemn us to an eternity in hell because I don't believe in the message being spread by the christian churches. Respect others, stop the hate, treat people as equals, and we'll all live in a much happier world.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Vixen~

Wow- you must live in a rough place. I've only ever seen the occasional Mormon missionary- and a smile with a 'not interested' sends them on their way. I've only experienced religious and atheist nastiness on-line and I kind of set myself up for seeing and experiencing it due to where I posted. Years ago, I used to post on Internet Infidels, JREF, FSTDT, and Rapture Ready. I was not a Christian then. I was more of a deist with bouts of agnosticism. I was banned from Rapture Ready and their sister site Rapture Forums. I had a French Canadian guy seek my non-believing self out on FSTDT to de-convert me from theism altogether. He was a nasty piece of work. I never posted much at IIDB, but simply reading there was a dark cloud of negativity.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
yes trying to convert those who choose to believe a lie into
believing the truth with evidence instead, for shame on those
ruffians......

its not forcing a belief on people more like a non belief...
you see we make no claims really, we only point out that
without man the idea of god wouldn't even exist, therefore
i put forward that we are all born atheist whether we like
it or not, religion is a personal choice atheism is the default
state of being.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Its not about labeling these extremists by their views. Every religion has extremists as well as non-religious believers. Its about tolerance.I for one, who do not believe in the Christian God, or any God in terms that have been written about, tolerate others beliefs and feel comfortable discussing their beliefs in a manner NOT to tear them down but to gain more knowledge on ALL beliefs. After all, if I worship anything, I worship knowledge gathering. Yet Yet by your terms I would be labelled an Atheist.
edit on 8/10/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

As an atheist I've yet to go door to door on the weekend and offer literature espousing my views. I also don't try to outlaw behaviors based upon my believe system. Nor have I ever discriminated against someone who does believe in a religion. Though I do find myself wishing more and more that the rapture would occur; the sooner the better.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

I am sorry sir but most atheists I know have an "each to his own" or "live and let live" philosophy.

You are most welcome in my book (lol which is not an atheist's bible by the way) to believe and practise whatever you wish to.

However please don't attempt to indoctrinate my children to your faith in a school , please don't expect your religion or foundation to recieve different taxation than any other business or organisation and please , please , please don't ignore scientifically proven facts.

There are many types of people in this world who believe they are exempt from their own behaviour , not just atheists and all such people deserve derision. There seems to be a common misperception that atheism means you have no moral compass.

I am an atheist and wish you all the best in whatever it is you wish to do with your time and life.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by johngrissom
I'm still wondering why any Atheist thinks they can give advice on religion when the very fact they don't believe in it.

Atheism is not the disbelief in religion.
Religion exists. There's no argument there.

Atheism is the disbelief in a god.

I have NEVER tried to convince someone to share my beliefs around the idea of gods.

new topics

top topics

join