It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA encourages recruiting students for 'Energy Patrols' at schools??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
(I searched the term 'energy patrol' and other things with no hits. I hope I didn't miss anything)

Is this taking things too far?

EPA Celebrates ‘Children Health Month,’ Encourages Recruiting Students for ‘Energy Patrols’ at School

On the website page is a link to a 26-page EPA report entitled, “Sensible Steps to Healthier School Environment.” In the report’s chapter on Energy Efficiency, the EPA presents a box with items to help establish “Energy Efficiency Opportunities for Schools.”

One of the items in the box reads, “Educate students and staff about how their behaviors affect energy use. Some schools have created student energy patrols to monitor and inform others when energy is wasted.”

Okay, that almost sounds like it might not be offensive right? We've all been conditioned to accept the climate agenda being driven home several times a year in the schools. Why not a bit more? Oh but hold on, thats not all!

The APS website says that patrol members can be provided with ID tags, vests and clipboards. Their responsibilities include leaving reminders to better conserve energy in rooms they find that have the lights on but are unoccupied.

In Alabama schools, the energy patrols are described as groups of 10 to 20 students who are tasked with monitoring the school’s energy use.
Source

Are they joking? This sounds like a whole lot more like indoctrination than education. Personally, I've about had it with the Federal Government meddling into the local level of schooling in every single community across the nation. Tags?? Clipboards?? Vests?? To leave the equivalent of "energy demerits" or "write-ups" as they go along? Ahh.. what is there to have a problem with?

Anyone else think this is going a bit far in pushing the whole authority and politics by force concept?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Next up: See something, say something!

Don't you love totalitarian states?

/TOA

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
exaggeration is a tyrants argument -

I cannot see how it is bad to encourage conservation of energy and TAX PAYER money,
plus giving kids some responsibility.

edit on 7-10-2012 by campanionator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I'm sure this thread will balloon with members fearful this is a sign of the nanny state, but conserving energy is a good thing and will save money. To me this is the same as having some students designated to raise awareness about recycling. Actually it seems more beneficial than that. I'm all for it.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
It's a terrible thing to teach children to turn off lights and electronic devices when not in use.
How dare they!?
edit on 7-10-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Yeah of course some people thinking teaching the church of climatology in this nations schools is like totally acceptable, but:

Others call it for what it is: indoctrination, government re education in to thinking what they want them to.

Get them young have them for life.
edit on 7-10-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
It's a terrible thing to teach children to turn off lights and electronic devices when not in use.
How dare they!?
edit on 7-10-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

Teaching kids to conserve energy? A great thing, and should be encouraged.
Using them to watch and report on energy wasters? Not so much.

/TOA
edit on 7-10-2012 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Aint that the job of the parent?

Those people who pay those kids electric bill.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Taxpayers pay the schools electric bill though. I think it's good to teach conservation of resources.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by neo96

Taxpayers pay the schools electric bill though. I think it's good to teach conservation of resources.

Yep that they do but all those schools also have a tax payer funded custodian to turn off those lights.

Clearly aimed at brainwashing, and indoctrination, to replace the parents job to teach their own children,.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by neo96

Teach, yes.
Spy, no.

The article isn't saying that energy conservation is bad. It's saying, quite rightly, that using kids to spy and report on others is bad. Which it is.

/TOA

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
ID tags, vests and clipboards, eh ? Back when I was in grade school, kids who volunteered for hall monitor were given wedgies several times a day.

Student enforcement officials were not highly respected by their peers....

I'm all for encouraging energy conservation, but turning kids into brownshirts isn't the way to do it.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Sure sounds like UN Agenda 21 has filtered down into the public schools. This is the rationing of the future NWO.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
How dare they!?

I've been trying to teach my kids to do this for years. If they won't listen to mom and dad, what makes you think the indoctrination centers will do any better?

Who wants to bet those same energy patrol kids won't end up turning on every single light in the house the moment they get home (in the middle of daylight of course
)?

edit on 10/7/12 by FortAnthem because: [color=#3b3b3b]Why vote for the lesser evil? Vote CTHULHU for president in 2012

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

The article isn't saying that energy conservation is bad. It's saying, quite rightly, that using kids to spy and report on others is bad. Which it is.

To me it seems more innocuous than having a hall monitor or asking kids to throw away refuse after lunch instead of leaving it on the table. I don't see the children being indoctrinated into global warming paranoia, just a way for the kids to be responsible. I respect you and Neo's opinion, but disagree. That being said perhaps it would be better to just have the teachers/staff make more of an effort.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
Sure sounds like UN Agenda 21 has filtered down into the public schools. This is the rationing of the future NWO.

Everything with you is extreme isn't it?

Tell us how this is like "Agenda 21"

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
It is the next step on the way to the Smart Grid....when the gov't will be able to control when you have power and don't.

Those of you that think we are alarmists are the frog in the pot....you haven't noticed all the small steps leading to the agenda.

Do some research on other countries if you think this is crazy talk...google brown outs...very common in Pakistan and other countries....it's coming.

Turning kids into tattle tales is an important step, glad I held on the old Hitler Youth pins my uncle left me.
edit on 7-10-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Indoctrination! Nwo! Big brother! It's my constitutional right to waste as much as energy as I desire! Cause americuuuh!!!
Love the hysteria.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
it is not the "power conservation" aspect that i find alarming. it is the fact that these kids are being trained as "watch dogs". they are basically learning how to CONTROL and REPORT people for "misdeeds".

id tags and such are "badges of power", to teach that those who have such trinkets are those who are "rightfully" in control of the masses. and that any who have such trinkets are deserving of everybody following their orders.

is it time to yet again learn from history? learning to not talk in front of kids in fear of being reported, even by your own children.

is this the final outcome of such training?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I think The Old American and Neo got it best for how I feel on this. I fully support the idea of encouraging basic common sense and a respect for resources at all levels of growing up. Global Warming or not....Oil crisis or not...Turning off electric devices or lights when not in use is just basic common sense . No argument there.

It's 100% about the informant society this approach builds and on both sides. The 10 to 20 kids in the one example make me wonder how that works. What 10-20 kids form the clique out of the overall student body? That alone must be an interesting story, but this attitude of "snitches get stitches" isn't a laughing matter in many if not most cities. Training the kids to be one, young and on petty garbage is a bad bad thing in my opinion.

In fact, anything that encourages citizens to inform and report on each other is really foreign to the whole mindset of this nation. I can see reporting on true and immediate threats to other people. Drunk drivers.....a gang fight or robbery in progress...That sort of thing. But teaching Junior that being an Energy Cop is a noble thing? Oh brother.

On the flip side, it's conditioning the non-enforcer or enforcee kids to take as normal the idea that political agenda (which this extreme absolutely is) can and will be 'applied' with various levels of force. In this case, just their peers doing stupid write ups....but they're young. Must start these things small.
(ahem...
)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join