It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being a prepper and dating.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Well, just so happens My girlfriend is a prepper. and she has been very board with everything
needed for the SHTF scenario. Shes awesome

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by murch

He. I'm a lady.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Tell them you prep, but dont tell them its for the apocalypse. Tell them its in case of natural disasters.

No, forgive me but that is horrible advice... Don't lie to your significant other. Just be honest. If they care about you, they will accept you for who you are. If not, then perhaps they are not the right person for you anyway....

If you can't be yourself around the person you are dating...Then you are dating the wrong person

If you lie to your significant other...You may just find that they exclude YOU from their plans for the future....

I refer you to my previous post for the rest of my thoughts on this topic.

Peace and love.
edit on 7-10-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ohyouknow

Oh... That doesn't make that much of a difference. Unless your guy is an overly macho alpha male type who only likes weak and submissive women (like a Barbie doll, all plastic and no brains), then I don't see why being a prepper would be a problem. Besides, if he had a problem with it, there's nothing requiring you to date him.

I mean, I've seen lots of women who have hobbies that are what one may consider to be odd, or odder than prepping. If I had a choice between a woman who drank too much and went out all night, and a woman who preps, I would go with the latter in a heartbeat.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohyouknow
reply to post by murch

He. I'm a lady.

Women make better preppers,
as a man I know that.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
As a woman, if I was dating, I wouldn't devulge that info until the relationship got serious. Mostly because I wouldn't want every guy I dated to know what I had in my stash.
My husband knew I was "quirky" when we married and he still loved and accepted me. And part of that is that I used to worry about EVERYTHING. I don't anymore, but the concern came from my love for my family. He understood that, and let's me do what I felt I need to do to care for our team.
We're in the Midwest and bought earthquake insurance, just in case. Any preparations, I think, fall not that category as well.
Good luck out there. Keep in mind that 90% of your joy or pain will come from your mate so choose wisely.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
If I was single, I'd be pleased to find out the guy I am interested in is a prepper. I feel better in life with a back up plan just in case. Security is important to me.

Now, my question is more along the lines of- if you've been married and prepping with someone else for years, how do you deal with a divorce then? Who gets the shelter? The best tools? The guns?? It can be very complicated, I am thinking.

If I can find another man who is prepped, it would be easier.....

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Hey, looking forward to the responses, cause last g/f thought I was nutty for being a prepper./

Same here, she was convinced that I was a nutter, we recently broke up (not over prepping etc) and i've been wondering the same as the OP.

I wouldn't want to scare off any potential partner, but don't want to stop prepping either.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by DirtyLiberalHippie

I didnt say to lie, i just said to omit part of the truth for a while. Kind of like how i dont tell girls i have five pounds of gun powder in my bedroom and 10 guns and an assault rifle that cost more than my car

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I've always done my prepping in a Hurricane Andrew or Katrina light - a few weeks of self sufficiency stores up and the tools to expand that if needed. Even that moderate to low-level prepping seems to set a lot of people at unease. I think it's because it's perceived your "looking" for or even hoping for trouble.

I crossed this bridge with my very shopping mall oriented lady in three phases:

1) Cost savings through storage and rotation of food and supplies. It became clear to her that a certain amount of prepping was perfectly economical in daily life.

2) Through Discovery channel and "Jericho" (the defunct CBS series). A Katrina special and a decent show that doesn't go full physics-tilt works wonders for making someone empathize with the actualities of what has happened in the past and may happen again.

3) Integrating is with competition - specifically the obstacle and team oriented race events like the GORUCK Challenge, Spartan Race, etc. The prepped mindset, at least, just soaks in through such activities. Suddenly she wanted her own EDC setup, sans weapon, and that at least made my position more tenable to her.

So I'm not sure you have to sacrifice one or the other, I had reasonable luck finding someone I love that was totally uninterested and unprepared, and then socially engineering the right things into her head. ;-)

Just don't tell ever tell her that. -Mags

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I'd introduce the thought gradually. The longer I stayed in a relationship with someone the more I'd try to educate them on how bad # is and why it is necessary to be ready for the worst. Truth is, if they are the kind of girl you see yourself staying with for a long time then they probably share a lot of similar interests/concerns as you anyway. I'm in my mid twenties and at this point in my life I'm married with a young child and although I'm not as prepped as a I could be if I spent more money on the thought, I am a prepper and have a bug out bin and stuff. My wife is relatively well educated on the various SHTF scenarios so it isn't terribly complicated to maintain a relationship and be a prepper because the two don't have to compete. In fact my wife just told me she wanted me to get more guns the other day.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
My Girlfriend is kinda like Reba in the first movie "Tremors"
shes a real scrapper when she needs to be

it was one of things I enjoyed most about her when we first met
And she is super organized. Yall should see the first aid kit she put together.. I should sell these things

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
1. Don't use the terms "prepper" or "survival." You are a tidy person who hates to go shopping if you've already been this week. So you have supplies on hand so you only make your regularly scheduled trips to market.

2. Don't tell them more than you'd want them telling strangers, until you know them a lot better.

3. Do it the way you do with your social contacts. When my poker buddies see my stash of gear (that occupies half of a two-car garage) I tell them I like to go camping (which is true). When I shop, I tell the clerk I need the extra lantern mantles for the hunting cabin---the mice may eat them, and I need a whole case, please

my wife figured it out while we were dating, and started helping me do it.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Try being a survivalist and carrying a AR when you go to the bath room. The last girl I dated thought I was nuts for sleeping in the woods for a week at a time with no tent and every time I left the house it looked like I was about to invade south carolina
yea some times love hurts.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I've got a surplus of Vodka,olive oil(great for massage)and condoms,i'm good to go

edit on 8-10-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

i think it would be on a par with, when do you re-write your will to include them as a significat benefitiary ?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Some of you might be interested in this site to find a prep partner :
www.prepperdating.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I have three requirements for a lady: must love dogs, guns, and pick-up trucks.

If they hit all three pulling them into the "prepper" isn't that hard. You're in the ball park to start with.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

I noticed you didn't include a full set of teeth

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

Or tattoos spelled correctly.

Can't be too picky.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>