It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being a prepper and dating.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I'd like to preface this by saying I'm not 100% sure where to put this so, mods please move this if it belongs somewhere else. Thank you very much!

Most people here are very serious about preping and being prepared for a SHTF scenario. I can't say I'm the same but that doesn't take me out of the category of prepper. I post, mostly, in this forum and I'm always looking for ways to up my food storage, work on my BOB and be prepared for anything bad that might be thrown at the world.

On the other hand I'm also a single twenty-something and sometimes that makes dating hard. To those of you out there who are in relationships and also preppers, at what point to you tell your partner that you're a prepper? At what point do you let them in on the knowledge that you're ready and able to take on a SHTF scenario? And, furthermore, at what point do you include them in your long term plans?

I look forward to hearing your responses!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Well, as my husband and I started to see the writing on the wall together, and bugged out of the city, I've never had to deal with your situation.

However, the fear which is a subcurrent running through the population isn't limited to us older fogies. My daughter, for instance, at 20 years old, understands that something ugly may happen. She is not only open to the idea, she accepts it, and knows where to run when the SHTF.

I think that, if you find somebody you like, and it appears that something may come of your relationship, you can go ahead and say that you feel that it is wise to be prepared in case something bad happens. If you're a man, I think a lot of women would find that to be comforting, more than you might realize.

It's the men who are still living in ignorance, with their head in the sand, assuming nothing will happen, that seem to be less likely to take care of a wife and family if something happens.

As long as prepping doesn't become crazy, I would think it would be a bit of a turn-on, for the right girl.

Be yourself, be honest about your thoughts, and the right partner will probably agree and go along with you.

edit on 7-10-2012 by FissionSurplus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Hey, looking forward to the responses, cause last g/f thought I was nutty for being a prepper./

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Don't over-think it, it is part of relationships.
If it works out you both will awake and compromise because,
it is part of choosing a partner, and coming to agreements,
a mutual agreement,
you both can share and understand about each other.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ohyouknow

The bad thing about prepping is it is usually based in fear. And when you live your life in fear of the unknown it spills into almost everything.

Fear is the root of all evil. Yoda was right. If you can take the fear out of it that is the best thing. And remember fear can take many forms.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
if youre prepping for an apocilypse, that's ok.

ahh sorry i cant keep a straight face.
you'll die sad and lonely with your b.o.b.
edit on 7-10-2012 by Kino321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Well said FissionSurplus.

To OP, thanks for starting this topic. While I don,t consider myself a hardcore prepper by any means, I am somewhat prepared, and I can relate to you. I have recently started seeing a girl. To my surprise we were just randomly talking one day...she mentioned that she keeps some canned goods and changes of clothes in her car for her and her kids...that led to more talking, and I found out she's into a lot of the same things I am. So, you might just get lucky and find the right person. Oh, I'm a 40something single guy...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
All through out history we have seen people prepping for a life together.
If prepping is bad then planning a life together,
and a wedding, and sharing with friends is bad.
Enjoy the fears of life, and that is why you choose someone to share them with.
Make lots of babies and have family and a reason to prepare for life,
and pass it down.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Well I'm married but when talking in public about prepping I've learned one way to tell people.....don't. In the dating scene I don't think it would really matter. As for long term there ready when they want to prep because they want to be prepared for anything, be it financial meltdown or a real bad snowstorm. I've prepped for years for myself and kids, but my wife thought I was nuts.....last month she asked me to make her a B.O.B. and teach her to use the guns and everything in her B.O.B.. I told her its not just a matter of being prepped for the apocalypse, its a matter of just being prepared. Mind you, I'm no relationship expert so best of luck, you just have to use your discretion.

P.S. You can look at prepping as fun, hiking, fishing, and camping as bonding time.
edit on 10/7/12 by iwontrun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ohyouknow

On the other hand I'm also a single twenty-something and sometimes that makes dating hard. To those of you out there who are in relationships and also preppers, at what point to you tell your partner that you're a prepper?

WOW!

I must say that I’m glad to meet another prepper; especially someone of your age.

At what point do you let them in on the knowledge that you're ready and able to take on a SHTF scenario?

I’m older and married so the revelation kind of happened one day and the wife was down. It wasn’t a big surprise since she married me while I was in the Marines; she knew what she was getting into (I’m nuts) and she was obviously attracted to me regardless.

And, furthermore, at what point do you include them in your long term plans?

This is interesting as I’ve never met a dating prepper. My advice is "Do your thing - and who gives a crap?"

I'd tell her tomorrow…if you’re a prepper and she thinks that’s nuts then she obviously isn’t on your level, so there’s no future in the relationship anyway.

$.02

reply to post by MidnightTide

Hey, looking forward to the responses, cause last g/f thought I was nutty for being a prepper.

That’s classic!

edit on 7-10-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
here is a suggestion. base your relationship on the idea that it might be necessary. be honest. if that is not an option then forget the relationship. you cannot seriously think you are gonna have an in depth relationship with someone without telling your greatest fears.

man up. if she understands then she is for you, if not, move on.

harsh, maybe.

true, absolutely.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Everyone is a prepper,
and a simple way to prove that is,
why buy toilet paper before you need it.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Tell them you prep, but dont tell them its for the apocalypse. Tell them its in case of natural disasters. Remind them of the new madrid fault or hurricanes or whatever. Or even "what if theres a big thunder storm that knocks the power out for a week?"

For gods sake dont tell them about the guns until they fall for you. And even then dont tell them how many! However, some girls think guns are cool, so drop them hints. Wouldnt wanna hide the guns and find out the guns are cool.

Dont tell them you have 6 months of food either lol.

Also, prepping could be for other things. What if you lose your job? What if food prices skyrocket?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rudy2shoes
Everyone is a prepper,

I havent owned a roll of toilet paper in 3 months

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac

Originally posted by Rudy2shoes
Everyone is a prepper,

I havent owned a roll of toilet paper in 3 months

I know,
with the amount of junk mail we get,
who needs it.
That or you are using the females restroom,
which is an old joke that begins with people have 2 choices,
and it begins at the restroom you chose.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Make it no big deal. Compare it to car insurance. Tell her FEMA recommends being prepared for disasters, so you are following their advice. Don't focus on it. Focus on her. Make her feel important and secure. That's what they like.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
May I offer the perspective of a person who is not a prepper? For what it is worth, I am a guy. 25 years old. I have a beautiful girlfriend who is not a prepper either. But, lets say for the sake of discussion that I did not have a girlfriend at all.

If I met a girl and found out she was a prepper, well, first, it would NOT be a turn off or anything like that. I don't know if a prepper ever worries about coming off as a "crazy conspiracy theorist" or what have you...But for what it's worth, if a girl I was dating was a prepper, it would not bother me.

In fact I may find it somewhat impressive that she felt so strongly about something and has gone to such lengths to prepare herself, should something happen. Though, I may be biased because I have seen and been exposed to many ideas and ways of thinking here on ATS and could probably be called a 'crazy conspiracy theorist", myself. So, it just would not surprise or concern me...

But, for what that is worth, to those preppers who may or may not worry how they will look when they break it to their significant other that they are a prepper.... Wouldn't bother me.

As for when you include them in your plans? I say...When you fall in love. When you are sure you are in love... That's when you should include them. And yes, sometimes feelings change...If you decide you don't love them and end up breaking up, well, you can always exclude them from your survival plans, should that happen.

I say, don't worry. If they care about you they will accept that you are prepared just in case something happens. If they have a problem with it, then well...That's just their problem and I say you deserve some one who accepts you for who you are.

Just for what that is worth...From the point of view of a non-prepper.

edit on 7-10-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I would assume, as long as you're not a "crazy prepper" who thinks reptilians will enslave our women and eat the flesh of our men, then any good woman in her right mind would respect something like that. Women like men who lead, and for a woman to know that if something DOES happen, and you'll be ready and able to take care of her (and possibly a family if it comes to that), I could easily see that being a turn on for her, albeit mainly subconscious.

Much in the same way that a woman who isn't necessarily domineering and disagreeable, but a strong soul who is able to raise a family, should be a turn on for any right minded man. Unfortunately in this day and age, men seem more preoccupied with breasts and blonde hair than what makes a woman a real woman.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Hey, looking forward to the responses, cause last g/f thought I was nutty for being a prepper./

I wouldn't worry too much, it's probably not you anyway. Just this morning my wife said to me, "I've just had a complaint from the neighbor across the street. She says that a man from this address has been watching her get undressed with binoculars." I said, "Just ignore her. Anyone who uses binoculars to get undressed is nutty."

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I am going to go with dirty-hippy and seabag,
she may be more offended you went on the ATS dating game,
instead of asking her outright.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join