BL - Origin of the word clue

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Found this at www.pballew.net...

and thought it interesting

Clue or Clew
One evening as my wife and I sat reading in the Library of our home she turned to me and said, "Hey, Wordman," (she never calls me wordman unless she has a word she thinks she can stump me with)"Do you know where the word 'clue' comes from?" I pondered for a moment, and had to admit I didn't have a clue.

The origin, as she gleefully told me, goes back to the ancient Greek myths about a Monster who lived on the Island of Crete during the reign of king Minos. Each year fourteen people were sacrificed to the monstor, a Minotaur. It seems that Theseus volunteered to be part of the group andwent into the Labyrinth hoping to kill the Minotaur. The Minotaur was a half man-half bull, son of Minosís wife Pasiphae and a beautiful bull, sent to Minos by Poseidon, to whom Minos was to sacrifice it. He didnít do the sacrifice, so Poseidon made Pasiphae fall in love with it. The Minotaur was the result. Minos confined it in a Labyrinth built by the architect Daedalus. As he makes his way into the labyrinth, Theseus leaves a trail to find his way back out by unwinding a ball of string. In Old English, a ball of thread or twine was called a clewe, and so a method of guiding us toward the solution to a mystery or puzzle became known as a clew, or clue. Both spellings seem acceptable according to my dictionary, but I cannot recall ever seeing any other than clue in American English.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I knew it!

I knew i would learn lots of useless information doing this game

Thats a good story to tell ya friends, i never knew this clew thingy.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
very interesting.

you really do learn something new everyday...

join