It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your right to resell your own stuff is in peril .. Kirtsaeng v. John Wiley & Sons

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'm not in or from USA but I didnt know whether to laugh or cry at reading this article

It could become illegal to resell your iPhone 4, car or family antiques

Basically it is saying that, if the law is passed, anybody would not be able to sell their possessions if they were made outside of US without first getting permission from the manufacturer.

I know this sort of thing has been raised before, especially with firms like Sony who hate it when second hand dvd's are sold, because they see it as them losing a sale.

But I had no idea that there was a move to apply the 'logic' to everything else.

As the article says, the first thing that will happen is that all manufacturing will be moved out of US to provide the owners with the new powers.

In my opinion it's sheer madness and just another Big Corporation idea to control us even more.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This could end Garage, Yard Sales, Craigslist and your local trading post. What about consignment shops, Goodwill shops and Ebay?
If passed it won't go over well at all. I don't see how they would be allowed to do this.

+45 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
What would they do if everyone just ignored this law and sold their stuff. It's their stuff. People have to stop following these stupid laws.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I don't see this getting passed. If it does, it will only be on the scale that you can't buy something cheap from another country and re-sell it in the U.S. That is the jist of this court case.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Isn't that what every importer is doing at the moment ?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
As soon as its a cashless society like they are trying to implement, it will make it nearly impossible to sell anything thats why I have started to try and accumulate what ever I feel will be useful for bartering in the future truly sad the extent some are going to keep john q public down.

SaneThinking

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
You can always scratch off the sony sticker, or Remove that Toyota label. Second hand department stores do the same thing and remove the name brand of the product. Pawn Shops would also be in trouble unless they get permits to sell.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
This is going to be near impossible to stop, but as soon as we become a cashless society....not so much.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I buy it...it's my property.

I'll do what I like with my property.

If this passes there will be anger, outrage and threats of boycotts...Then a new iphone will come out and the line-ups will begin.

Peace

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Even if it's manufactured outside the U.S., Apple is stilled based in the U.S. so wouldn't that be kind of contradictory?

Edit. nvm read the article and saw this:

At issue in Kirtsaeng v. John Wiley & Sons is the first-sale doctrine in copyright law, which allows you to buy and then sell things like electronics, books, artwork and furniture, as well as CDs and DVDs, without getting permission from the copyright holder of those products.

edit on 10/7/2012 by PennKen2009 because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I hope these idiots do pass and vigorously enforce it, with all the zeal they do all the other unjust corporate craphead laws they pass.

Then maybe it will be as welcomed as the stamp act that caused the Boston tea party, I will help throw the boxes of afore mentioned products into the ocean, and then help stomp out all the riot police that attempt to put down the righteous indignation of the people.

Of course though, all the sheeple will just bow down to this, and do nothing, like usual, resulting in more of the same kinds of "profits before people" corporate laws that continue to be passed almost daily in this country.

Too bad there aren't many Americans left that will take a stand, this law will pass, the people will do nothing, the corporations have already won the war against the slave sheeple.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Some form of this could happen. After all, corporations have the same standing as people today and one Hell of a lot more clout in DC. We can't say, "It won't happen."

Just look back to computer software. You no longer actually own it, you license it. A deft move or two and the same will be said of computers themselves--that is where the interest is, stopping the resale of computers. Of course, they will be kind enough to let a new "owner" buy a company license to use it, I'm sure. Expect it.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Over production, thus flooding the market with too many goods is a problem when we live in a business model that relies on cyclical consumption to survive. Enforcing that you are unable to sell your items provides more buyers and in turn a lot more waste. They are obviously trying to prop up the standard business model system rather than take a new approach.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
If I'm understanding the article correctly, this WAS passed, but is now going to the Supreme Court, where we will see if the established ruling will be upheld.

I'd like to think the more they blatantly # the masses over, the faster the revolution will happen...

That's what I tell myself, anyways

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Companies seem to absolutely loathe anything used that they can't squeeze more money out of.

Think about videogame companies. The right to call digital content like videogames a good or product and thus the right to resell it was hard won back in the 80s. Now publishers want to kill the used gaming market entirely. They're already halfway there with things like online passes, preorder "bonus" content, and other ethically iffy business practices (in my opinion.)

My friends and I often muse on the possibility that other companies could start doing this. "Imagine buying a car used and having to pay a fee to the original manufacturer every time you do." Or, "Imagine buying a chair and having to pay a small fee if it's used." It seems this was not as farfetched as we imagined! Sad, in my opinion.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I buy it...it's my property.

I'll do what I like with my property.

Sell a felon your firearm, and see what happens.
Seriously though, I agree with your sentiment, but the jack boots always use gun laws as their proving ground because there's an ignorant segment of the population that's scared of black metal things.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

This is insanity. The implications if this passed are immense. How would enforcement be handled for barter, would that also constitute a sale? What about gifts, although not exactly barter, gifts are usually given for a reason and could also be interpreted as barter.

This would be the ultimate stripping of property rights, if this goes into law it basically means soon enough we would have no control over anything we purchased. There would be no way to store wealth, other than the currency and that can be devalued at the governments whim.

In short we would officially be slaves.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I will not fight for a government that bankrupts me....

I am an Air Force vet with an Ebay store and an autistic child --
Do I have to lose both of them just because I live here? LOL

F the MAN!!!!!!!!!

@ poster above me: in Arab and Asian places, the black market RULES.
Apparently the people have not spoken loudly enough,
to tell the man in words he can understand,
"GET OFF OUR NECKS"

...Did you know that WTC replaced a thriving public market in NYC?
It used to be like Pike Place Mkt in Seattle but bigger. They tore out the people's market in NYC to build a tower where bankers illegally wired money in and out of our country without us citizens receiving the taxes we should have... and then a month after teh FBI acknolwedged the HELLHOLE of book cooking at WTC, it got hit by "airplanes".

Yeah.
Why the hell did i fall for that lie and join the military?
Oh don't be stupid like me
edit on 8-10-2012 by KhufuKeplerTriangle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Nvmd.

This isn't a new law, it's a legal challenge to the existing ones.
edit on 8-10-2012 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
this is just sooo wrong. once something is purchased the owner should be able to do with it as they please. what is next you crash your car and have to pay the manufacturer for damaging THEIR property? it WOULD be their property under this law. you would not be BUYING anything just LEASING it.

companies make more money than is a fair price as things stand, why do companies DESERVE to be able to lay claim to a product that has been sold? bet you the price they would charge you to resell something would make it close to the price of a new product, so as to make sure they continue to sell more and more, new products. this would be bad for the environment as pretty much everything would end up in landfills, even stuff that is perfectly fine, just no longer wanted.

lets be honest about it. NOTHING would be exempt from this law as almost EVERYTHING at least contains parts made outside of the USA. i am sure that even 1 part manufactured outside the US would put an object under this law.

this law if it stands would finish killing off manufacturing in the US as i am sure almost all companies would move the little that is left overseas so as to take advantage of this law. yet MORE LOST JOBS.

sadly as someone pointed out the "Boston tea party" might end up happening again. what has America come to. one thing the USA was about was getting rid of the "royalty", and "peasantry", to make all men equal and throwing off the yoke of oppressive government. yet that is seemingly what we now have. CORPORATIONS are the new ROYALTY while the GENERAL POPULATION is the new PEASANT. laws like this are making that very clear. the ROYALTY makes up the rules and the PEASANTRY is stuck living under them. even worse the gallantry part will be non existent. that is where the royalty was supposed to take care of their peasants. corporations just don't care about anything other then cash rolling in.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join