It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do People in the UK Not Have Any Manners Anymore!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

luckily there are still a few of us that do have manners, not having manners is completely unacceptable, i'm starting to realise that most people aren't actually going out of there way to be rude, its just that they really don't even realise they are doing it, and that's the worst part. at least if they were doing it on purpose then they could change the way they behave, but for those who don't there is just no chance, they truly don't think of how their actions effect others, as long as they get where they are going they have no thought for any one else, its a very selfish way to be.

He're just a couple of examples, good and bad,

at work we usually take turns to make the drinks for each other, one person in particular (a supposed christian) doesn't feel its necessary to say thank you when someone makes him a drink, i on the other hand think its the most natural response to someone who has done something for you as it show appreciation, but apparently i'm the one in the wrong for expecting a thank you as i shouldn't be making the drinks just to receive a thank you,

this annoys me somewhat as i don't make drinks for him just to receive a thank you, i make him a drink because i want to make him a drink, am i missing something here? if i am please tell me....

but then on the other hand a few weeks back i was in the local butchers and was struggling to open up a carrier bag to put my food in and a lovely elderly lady could see i was struggling and without saying a word she took my carrier bag off me and opened it up so i could put my shopping in, this brightened up my day no end, and i thanked her many times as she kind of restored my faith that British people do still have manners.

the world would actually be a much more pleasant place if we all had manners,

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

Wow that made me smile, that is almost exactly how it went

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I was crossing the road, i saw a car in the distance i was free to cross when all of a sudden this car speeds towards me and some lady crossing like we shouldn't have a right to cross the road.

Alot of people shouldn't even have cars to be honest the way they act..
The west has become a nation of lazy facebook pizza eating maccy d going nations
Who post letters at the end of the street by means of the car lmao.

They road rage for the simplest of things even when there journey is 2 minutes away it
makes me angries, the cursing swearing sod you jack - dog eat dog mentality.

The woman i was going on about was an old lady i was helping accross the road and the
car owner put their foot down and tried to get us off the road. So much for respecting a good deed
By myself to help this woman...

edit on 7-10-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Had similar thing, where I was at a checkout in supermarket. The woman in front had a full trolley of stuff and was just starting to put onto the conveyor belt. I had one item, a bottle of wine for my wife. She seen me standing with the one item, but instead of saying on you go. Had to stand and wait .

I am not impatient, but could have went in front, paid and been away before she had finished putting her shopping on the belt. She seen me and gave a look like, tough you can wait.

Has happened several times. Also people walking through the supermarket seem to be oblivious to others and just barge past like they are in different reality.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Mate all you had to do in that situation is pull $5 out of your wallet throw it at her and yell out "why don't you try buying the kids food with the child maintenance instead of crack for a change" then get back in your car and drive off.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by D8ncer

Sounds like a typical Tesco's if you ask me unfortunately. I have occasionally been asked to cut in front of somebody with a big trolly full though and I always politely say thank you but carry on as I believe in people who are polite being rewarded. Especially if I am not in a rush.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by D8ncer
Had similar thing, where I was at a checkout in supermarket. The woman in front had a full trolley of stuff and was just starting to put onto the conveyor belt. I had one item, a bottle of wine for my wife. She seen me standing with the one item, but instead of saying on you go. Had to stand and wait .

I am not impatient, but could have went in front, paid and been away before she had finished putting her shopping on the belt. She seen me and gave a look like, tough you can wait.

Has happened several times. Also people walking through the supermarket seem to be oblivious to others and just barge past like they are in different reality.

Another thing when you go downtown is it me or do you get this impression that allthough you
may move out of the way for people, no one, i mean no one - moves out of the way for you but
instead will try to go through you.

I allways let people go infront with a few items i allways open the door for my elders and i allways
open the car doors for the ladies.

In town it is like people are from another planet and you see yourself as different to them.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Now I'm as polite and gentlemanly as possible ........meh a upbringing by my gran
But it's got to the point that I can no longer turn the other cheek

I spend a lot of time away from home .......and when I return I find myself sickned by what has become.......and can't help but think .........these people are left to get away with this kinda crap ..........because we let them

So I just find a healthy release through vengeance
I'd have gone back in the shop ......got some paint stripper ........and poured it over her car with a smile on my face

Ok maybe a bit much lol ......ok super glue in her car door locks.....I'd even be nice and leave the trunk lock alone

.......officers........bankers........politicians........keep it up ........I double dare you.....we're getting pi**ed
edit on 7-10-2012 by Neocrusader because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I live in a small town so I really don't see rude behavior all that much. In the town I'm in i see people open doors and be polite to complete strangers.

I open the door for people because it is rude to shut it in someone's face before they get to the door whether it be man or woman, and I'm almost always told thank you. One day I totally surprised this one old woman when I helped pick up some groceries she'd dropped and held the door open for. She said I was the first white person to ever do that for her. She was black. Although one time I held a door open for this one woman and she shot me down for being a chauvinist pig. Ah well, you can't win them all.

So it's possible that this is something that is just happening in the cities. I don't know for certain though.

I've seen an occasional rude person, but they usually get shut down really quick. One of my favorite moments is when I saw this one rude teenager get smacked for calling an overweight woman a fat c*****. I had a good laugh at that, which I kept to myself, of course.

So really, I don't think it's quite as widespread as some people make it out to be. It's just all to easy to have a knee-jerk reaction and blame everybody.

Also, keep in mind, this is not new. I'm a big fan of the show Night Court and Harry was criticized by Dan and a few others for being nice.
edit on 7-10-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I start my day as friendly as Barney the Dinosaur.

Gradually, through no fault of my own, I evolve into Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry.

I'm not afraid to be mad or rude if it's necessary to a person who starts it. But i'm never rude first.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I was brought up to believe that manners cost nothing - and I still very much believe that.
It's nice to be nice.

There are still many courteous people here in the UK, just those that aren't seem to have become exceptionally rude and inconsiderate.
I have to admit that other people's rudeness can sometimes get a quite vocal and 'expressive' response from me.

I notice that it's those scrounging benefit layabouts who are instantly labelled as the worst offenders - whilst the label certainly accurately describes some on benefits it's definately nowhere near all of them - the lack of manners seems to cut right across the social divide as far as I can tell.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Its not just the uk...sounds just like the us.

Lets see....i had someone move my pickup truck with their pickup truck so they could make room to parralel park....leaving me none to leave...wtf?

I pulled ahead to back into a space parralel, and while i was reversing jnto it, someone with a smaller car pulled jnto it. Wtf?

Today i was in my hyundai on the highway passin some slowpoke and some effing illinois person weaving in and out of traffic with no signals almost hits me.

Yesterday i was at a gas station at the pump with my convertable and some lady backs out of a no parking zone she was parked in, almost into it, stopping an inch short, just because she was stopping there anyway. Then has this omfg look on her face. Wtfffff? Ever look before backing up?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

Originally posted by D8ncer

Another thing when you go downtown is it me or do you get this impression that allthough you
may move out of the way for people, no one, i mean no one - moves out of the way for you but
instead will try to go through you.

I allways let people go infront with a few items i allways open the door for my elders and i allways
open the car doors for the ladies.

In town it is like people are from another planet and you see yourself as different to them.

I notice this the most when im either on a fairly narrow sidewalk where two people can pass eachother fine, but thats the extent of the sidewalks width. And people walk next to eachother talking and try to walk through me. I will let them hit me. Lol. I also notice it when im driving. Its usually wealthy people. Especially if im waiting for a clearing to pull out of a drive (right turn), and as soon as there is one, someone pulls out of a nearby driveway and tries to rocket past me. if i pull out at the same time as them theyll make rude gestures. Who was waiting longer? Why are you more important than me?

I live on a busy highway. 90% of the time i make a right out of my driveway and make a right a block down. Apparently im not supposed to ever do that, i get rude gestures often.

Our freeways are fun. 70mph speedlimit for cars, three lanes. Right two end up being slow as hell due to semis passing eachother, left one is doing about 100. No manners at all

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This reminds me of a story that happened in Toronto or Montreal a couple of years back. Something as banal as this, but the man came out of the car and demolished the other driver's face with a baseball bat instead of making a rant thread somewhere on the internet.

Cray world we live in.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Rude parking lot behavior isn't just a thing in the UK, as stated before it's here in the US as well. My mother was putting groceries into her car and trying to read the label on a new medication she had picked up that day whenever she was inside of the car (only taking a few moments) and someone had been waiting for her space the entire time and whenever she didn't pull out right away, the guy got out of his car and swore at my mother shouting about how he'd been waiting for her spot for half an hour (it had only been a couple minutes) . Clearly there were plenty of other places in the parking lot and he did not need to treat my mother that way. I just don't get the whole territory battle in parking lots. My mother shouted back at the man and made it very clear that his behavior was unacceptable before driving away from the lot.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Atleast in the us we can have guns. Good reason to have a 45 in the car, but only if you have a cool head. I wont die over a parking space. It couldve been oj.

I usually park in the back of parking lots. Had my car ran into in parking lots about five too many times. I at one point drove a 6000lb car for revenge but getting single digit mpg sucked. Probably wouldnt even be able to park that thing in the uk, could barely deal with it in america lol. i know how roads are there...

I dont know why people are so allergic to walking. My parents have handicapped plates because my stepdad has a heart condition. One time my mom took me to the hardware store and parked in a handicap spot. Im like this is embarrasing mom.... i often park blocks away when im downtown.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

SORRY but we have 'equality' so she should have looked for another spot to park...you

can't have equality and then expect 'preferential' treatment just becauce you're a woman...

AND any way good manners cost nothing

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Reminds me of a story i heard a while back about a man waiting for a car to leave a space

in a multi storey car park he was in a Rolls Royce, engine ticking over silently. As the parked

car drove out a small 'souped' up car cut across into the now vacant spot, two young men

swaggered out and passed the waiting Rolls loudly proclaiming "you have to be cool dude

to do that" At which time the driver of the Rolls backed into the small car and drove passed

the two young men saying "and you have to be rich to do that!"

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
yh happened to me loads of times, don't let it get to me down much, karma has a way of sorting out people with attitudes like that. Mind you if you think brits are bad you should go to Italy, cars don't even stop at pedestrian crossing's - it's really quite crazy the manners of drivers in some countries. Everyone's in a rush, no time to be courteous and it just spiral's from there. No excuse for that behaviour in front of the younger generation - that's just bad parenting in my book.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Hi, was this England? Don't get me wrong im not bashing my fellow contrymen from down south, but up here in Scotland theres still plenty of nice, courteous people. Can i also add, shopping with kids is such hard work, they were probably doing her head in all the way to the car park, and she couldnt wait to get them out

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join