It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can you contribute?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObjectZero
Here is a reason to learn how to skin an animal.

Man burns down apartment building after trying to singe fur off dead squirrel with propane blow torch (so he could eat it) Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

LOL. Just so people do not think I'm making my self out to be a superman, I will freely admit that I am very weak in working with all things mechanical. I would definately have to team up with a good mechanic.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I think I can provide:

Knowledge of group dynamics. It has been a huge focus this year at University, and interesting to know how groups work, and what constitutes an effective group.

Muscle power. I'm a very active individual, and believe the muscle I have gained to be useful! It could deteriorate in a survival situation, but I'm sure not in the short-term, provided I keep sustained.

Support, physically and emotionally. I believe I am a strong encourager, others have said the same about me I have noticed. I am good at keeping a group together.

I have a brain. I work well in pressured situations. I am familiar with decision making processes that are effective, and have been exposed to pressured situations in a group using them.

I am not particularly skilled in a certain area, but have knowledge of various ideas that may be useful (eg. cooking bread).

I am willing to work for the groups success and not just my own, only if they are willing aswell.

I am extremely optimistic in life, and never accept failure as the end. I prefer to look at the positive side instead of the negative side of the coin. This is good for moral in groups.

All I can think of at this hour, maybe more will come out later.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I have read through this thread and am awed and amazed at the talent, knowledge and credentials from the posting members. So much so that I now have totally changed my attitude to be more tolerant of others opinions in spite of my own because I truly appreciate each and everyone of you. I am sure in a SHTF situation, if all these members were the only ones left on the planet, they would thrive and prosper and be the "creme de le creme" in mankind's history.

I myself can mostly contribute "stuff". I am a horder. Got the duct tape covered by the way and just about anything else of odds and ends one would need. Also have tons of food - literally. My thing I "do" is chickens. I made my own incubator with a styrofoam cooler, metal mesh and a light bulb. I use it often (just for fun usually as the chickens do their job just fine) and it works well. I love chickens and they love me. Just call me the "Chicken Whisperer"

ETA: To the poster who asked why another thread on this topic - members come and go, people change, everyone needs reminded of who and what is available in a time of need. It is just good principle to keep updating the information. I am thankful for this thread.
edit on 12-10-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Musical capabilities... soothes the soul. In addition to all the skills you possess that one is important too.

Having lived the simple life, and with a baby, I'd safely say that I would be useful to teach the younger generations what little (compared with what our great grandparents knew) I know.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
In the case of something bad going down, and looting is a big issue. I have an idea that might help looters just by pass your house in that case.

Make your home look as if its already been looted.
Take chairs, and anything else in your house, or anything extra you do not need. And throw it out in the front yard.
Make your home look as if, there has already been looters there, and threw everything out on the front lawn and out in the street. Make your home from the outside look as if its already been trashed, and keep what you to live within the home. board up the front door, and find your own way to make it look as if there is nothing to left to bother with.
If people still decide to come inside, be sure you corner yourself into a back room and make your final stand there. Also where ever your last stand is coming down too. Make sure that you make it to where you funnel the looter to where they can only come into your last standing place one at a time. Never allow a big gap where many can fit in and attack in groups. Only allow enough room for one person to make it to your last stand 1 at a time. This way, you can make your defense to your advantage, and not allow yourself to be over powered by groups.
Burn stuff, throw it all over the yard.. turn stuff over, and just make your place not look like something that is worth while to bother with.
If things get to that point.. I feel looters are looking for easy and untouched areas to loot. The more it looks trashed, and empty.. The better chance you have they will just move on.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I'm a Trauma ER nurse/former flight nurse. I'm very big on self and home defense and not being a "victim." I'm a pretty decent shot. I am too stupid to be afraid of anybody. I have a big mouth and am not afraid to use it if need be. I've cared for a multitude of animals over the years and don't mind the "dirty work" that is involved in raising them. Speaking of animals, I've raised/am raising 3 boys into decent productive human beings as a single mom. And edited to add, I'm a former musician. I'm also a HAZMAT team member, and part of the state's Medical Reserve Corps.

I just don't like to cook (but can if I have to), and can kill ANYTHING that I try to plant and grow.
edit on 10-22-2012 by andhow because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join