It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can you contribute?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
physician / surgeon - trained in both western medicine and TCM ( traditional chinese medicine ) .. carpenter - built my house and clinic from the ground up .. martial arts instructer - practiced since early childhood ... feng shui master ... gardener... historian,.. and make damn good sake ...
edit on 8/10/12 by Expat888 because: drunk tengu causing mischief...

I claim you as mine....

Des

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Woah woah woah. I think I should get dibs as I made this thread!
Sorry everyone, you just made yourself a currency to me!

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

Woah woah woah. I think I should get dibs as I made this thread!
Sorry everyone, you just made yourself a currency to me!

You snooze you loose. He's mine, lock stock and barrel. You have first dibs on Denver.....

I've thrown in a goat to sweeten the deal.....

Des

edit on 9-10-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Hahaha, Denver is...well...out of my comfort zone. Plus I don't think my wife would allow him (we can't have him latching on to the legs of people when we have company)! I'll take the goat though...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Hahaha, Denver is...well...out of my comfort zone. Plus I don't think my wife would allow him (we can't have him latching on to the legs of people when we have company)! I'll take the goat though...

I don't know about that give me a couple of hours with her and im sure i could bring her round

edit on 9-10-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Reproducing for the sake of the human race? No? Alright then, do not call me when your network is down!

I am 16, very basic knowladge in networks and technology. Nothing useful here.

So, I guess I will be the bait then? I guess I am okay with that, too.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by goh13

You don't have to be the fastest runner when you go out as bait, just faster than last.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I can weld (useless without electricity), build things from wood and I suppose whatever is at hand if necessary, including a home (hand tools or power tools), build and repair electronics (might be important after the rebuild begins), morse code (HAM operator), knowledge of first aid (less than advanced but more than basic), hunt (bow, snare, or gun), fish (including building a trap), sharpening tools, meat processing for storage and food storage in general, cooking over open fire, smokehouse construction and use, navigate by the stars, candle making, soap making, very beginner level weaving, organic gardening, seed saving, sewing, I can make my own bullets (including the projectile if necessary) but eventually the stores of primers will dwindle and the bow, spear, knife, and trapping skills will come to bear, some knowledge of chemistry, trying to learn flint napping but it's not easy to find the time these days.I'm sure there's more... Oh... I can airbrush... not very well but if any hot chicks need clothes brushed on I can help with that

I want to take the time to mention something... Everyone should familiarize yourself with the things in your lives that are derived from petrochemicals. Everyone focuses on gasoline and electricity when it comes to oil but the most pervasive and insidious thing in society today, that holds us all captive, is petrochemicals, not electricity and fuel. You CANNOT touch anything in your environment that has not been affected by the petrochemical industry. If there was a magic switch that you could toggle the existence of things that have been touched by petrochemicals on and off, when you switched them off, you would be sitting naked in the middle of dirt (maybe grass and weeds, definitely bugs crawling everywhere). If you are driving you would literally be sitting in dirt. The road would be gone, the car would be gone, no clothes, not even fillings in your teeth or crowns. Like the insidious existence of high fructose corn syrup in our food (tied directly to petrochemicals by fertilizer which is derived from natural gas), petrochemicals are woven tightly into the fabric of human existence. Medicine, food, clothing, materials of construction, electronics (including the circuit components of the items that make up the internet, the wiring for the internet, you computer, everything electronic). The advances that have been made in "modernizing the world" are all tied to petrochemicals.

"There is no spoon"

For a detailed understanding of what has happened to our food supply alone, read The Omnivores Dilemma...

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I know a little bit about a lot of stuff.
In my time, I've worked manufacturing many things, literally from bricks to computer control consoles for industrial machinery. I have electronics repair training (pre-IC tech), especially two way radio. I have knowledge of building/construction, some farming, hunting/fishing, and, believe it or not, sheep herding. I know a little more than basic science (i.e. how to produce electricity), and can do math (yes, I can drive a slide rule, no electricity required). I can shoot straight, and am familiar with basic tactics and strategy. I know how to brew beer, and distill stronger spirits.

I am, however, a crappy cook.

In addition, I'm versed in most any skill no-one wants to pay for. I play several instruments, juggle, yo-yo, do origami, draw/paint, etc. I've read hundreds, if not thousands, of books, and can tell a good story.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I'm really easy to get along with.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I can train dogs to hunt and guard the camp, I can tan hides and make clothing and blankets. I've also got combat experience. Pretty much anything else I can leard.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Not only are you valuable.. we'd do well to protect you with our own lives if necessary.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by chopperswolf

Don't plan on being completely alone. I want to be on your team

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

If the SHTF, what skill/knowledge would you have that would make you a valuable asset to your community/family?

I ask this because I would like to know what skills I am lacking that I haven't thought about yet. I work in water treatment. I know how to get water and purify it by a couple of different means. That would be my go to skill. I also enjoy gardening, have a big lot in a small town with many fruit trees/bushes and quite a lot of heirloom seeds.
I know the one place I am lacking is in hunting. I am working to fix that.

What about you? What is your main skill that would help a community/your family survive if TSHTF?

Physician/surgeon, former USMC infantryman.

Medical experience, both in a clinical setting and in the field (Iraq/Afghanistan) and I still have piles of equipement that I put together for those places. Trauma equipment.

I was a SERE instructor a long time ago and have not forgotten those skills.

I can hunt, fish, gather edible and medicinal plants from the woods. I can distill whiskey in the woods, in the dark of night.

Still an expert marksman and I practice at the Camp Lejune 1000yd range.
edit on 10-10-2012 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

OK have to ask cause of the SERE training. How many time have you seen someone eat and eyeball?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Ok, thank you everyone for your contributions to this thread! I am amazed (although I shouldn't be) of how many skills everyone possesses.

Let's take it a step further.

Can you either take one of your skills and explain how to do it with either a link or a description? I know many people have contributed threads on the Survival forum. Now is the time to link to it. Give a brief description if you are just linking to a thread, or feel free to describe how to do your skill (post-shtf) in detail or how you would go about it.

Looking forward to the responses!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I often think of this being first born on both sides. I want spec ops and CIA training but then again I want to be an entrepreneur so idk

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Electrical engineer, car battery, electrical frying pan frozen pack of fish, can of beans, bottles of scotch and eski, fire wood, lots of crackers and biscuits.

We will have one hell of of a party before we start the hard yards to survival. 7

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObjectZero
reply to post by NavyDoc

OK have to ask cause of the SERE training. How many time have you seen someone eat and eyeball?

LOL. Dozens of times. Students have to kill, skin, and eat a rabbit as part of the survival course. Eating the eyeball was part of the process. The idea was to reduce a student's food adversions. There is a lot of nutrition to be gathered out in the wild, but social standards in the west make much protein sources "distasteful." You need to be willing to eat insects, grubs, etc.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

Originally posted by ObjectZero
reply to post by NavyDoc

LOL. Dozens of times. Students have to kill, skin, and eat a rabbit as part of the survival course. Eating the eyeball was part of the process. The idea was to reduce a student's food adversions. There is a lot of nutrition to be gathered out in the wild, but social standards in the west make much protein sources "distasteful." You need to be willing to eat insects, grubs, etc.

That is one of the reason I don't think a lot of people will make it if normal food supplies run out. I know a lot of people that would rather die then eat an tiny little rabbit eyeball. I still like telling people like that, "if you think that is bad try eating a moose eyeball that peeper is a mouth full".

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join