It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can you contribute?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

Let's hear one!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by nimbinned
reply to post by superman2012

I know a lot of good jokes. I'll provide the humour. A valued commodity I would expect when everyone is feeling down in the dumps.

Let's hear one we need one at this point fire away..

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
was a corporal in the N.S Highlanders militia (Canadian army reservers) when I went to university

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I am like Macgyver so we would'nt need anyone else! Seriously though, I don't know how long i would be able to maintain my will to keep going! With everyone out to take what I have and God knows what else it would be once all the food is gone! I am hoping i never have to see a day where humanity becomes animalistic in nature.
If it happens though I might decide to pray away whatever time I have left!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Water treatment is an excellent skill.

As I soldier I am trained in field trauma first aid, and field sanitation. I am also an expert marksman, and a mechanic.

Proj
WHere have you BEEN?!

kill butcher cook.. ahem.. ANYTHING. Emergency medical and field medical, qualified marksman.. erm.. lotsa stuff. Hubby is a killer.. can kill things, ex mil. We're looking for a mechanic and seamstress.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I have my land and herd of goats. I can cook shoe leather and make it taste pretty good. Have working knowledge of herbal remedies, what plants are useful for what ails you.I can shoot as good as any man, well almost any man.

Have working knowledge of skinning and tanning hides, sewing hides into needed items.

Have enormous amounts of patience in objectively finding solutions to problems. So, I won't just be automatically killing off anyone who's talents aren't immediately obvious. Also posses bartering skills to the point, I'll probably be the person who puts together the first local bartering station in my area. Where people can bring what they have, to trade for what they need.

How's that for a start......

Des

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

The basic things are great to know like how to start a fire, Making clothes, blankets etc, Cooking food, Fishing, Hunting, Reading could help, CPR, Strong swimming skills, Knowing how to play an instrument (I could imagine things getting boring), building a shelter, How to convert the suns energy into solar power, purifying water.

The simple/basic skills are the best.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I've always wondered if my skills would save my behind when/if it all comes down.

I was raised on a farm, so I can fish and gig frogs (hunting, not so much, although I'm not a terrible shot when it comes to hunting birds), I know livestock pretty well and how to tend them. Life-long girl scout, as cheesy as it sounds, but it taught me how to build fires with wet wood, lash structures and furniture (although very primitive) and cook super tasty food over open fire and find wild-growing food.

Currently working toward a nursing degree, so if I get finished in time, that will help a great deal. Already I'm the family Witch Doctor - lol - I've taught myself extensively in using herbs as medicines. I make decoctions, salves, oils, you name it. Can also stitch up a wound or lance a boil if need be.

Also did JROTC in high school and work in the oil field now, so I'm really good at reading maps, using a compass (orienteering) and knowing where I'm going. In fact, to this day I have never owned any sort of gps device.

Other than that, I have food, water, water purification kits and meds stocked up....

So would I make the cut?

Eta: I can also sew and I know how to tan animal hides (someone else will have to do the skinning though). I can also garden and am all too familiar with composting, having grown up on a farm. And I play guitar so I could at least sing for my supper, as it were.
edit on 8-10-2012 by DustbowlDebutante because: forgot some stuff

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Have enormous amounts of patience in objectively finding solutions to problems. So, I won't just be automatically killing off anyone who's talents aren't immediately obvious.

That's an important point. You can't accurately judge others based on looks or initial impressions. People can be much more versatile than you may imagine, and could contribute key skills that would help to sustain the larger group.

If the SHTF, people building a core survival group may very well look at this terminally ill 90 lb woman and assume that she would be nothing but a burden to the group, but in judging so they would be alienating me and all of the skills that I could contribute to enhance the groups health and survival.

Link to ~Vixen~ skills

edit on 10/8/2012 by ~Vixen~ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I've been busy. Army sure has a lot of work for me. not much time to post these days.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ObjectZero

I have other skills, but I don't really like laying out all my cards out on the table.

that's why there's ebay.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I'm a Community Organizer, I figure with that experience alone I would be very valuable, the sky's the limit!

Seriously though, I can hunt & fish, and I'm a pretty good shot.

Excellent negotiating skills too, all of that should help me get by....

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I think you missed the point there...

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I don't know if people have thought of this, but since getting a crown put in, your SHTF group really needs a dentist!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
I don't know if people have thought of this, but since getting a crown put in, your SHTF group really needs a dentist!

Crowns can be problematic due to the materials required. Making and seating a temp crown is simple, but finding the facility and supplies to make a porcelain crown would probably be near impossible. In a SHTF scenario, the only option in many cases may be extraction.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Vixen~

However there are resin based materials for fillings and other needs that can be used these days.

I had them use the stuff on me.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I can slowly and monotonsly bang on a drum while I starve to death in overpopulationville.

edit on 8/10/2012 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

reply to post by ~Vixen~

However there are resin based materials for fillings and other needs that can be used these days.

Resin crowns are ok, certainly not as durable as PFM or ceramics, however there's still the issue of availability of the required supplies. Beyond that, though, one also must consider availability of the tools and facilities needed to competently carry out many procedures. In a SHTF case, options will probably be fairly limited, and most of the medical/dental care issues would be based mainly on medical necessity.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Vixen~

reply to post by ~Vixen~

Resin crowns are ok, certainly not as durable as PFM or ceramics, however there's still the issue of availability of the required supplies. Beyond that, though, one also must consider availability of the tools and facilities needed to competently carry out many procedures. In a SHTF case, options will probably be fairly limited, and most of the medical/dental care issues would be based mainly on medical necessity.

Yes, I know, I was just using my recent experience with a crown as an example....but just trying to express toothaches can be horrible, and it would be very beneficial for your group to have an experienced dentist (don't really want to the pliers pulling out your teeth technique)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

Yes, I know, I was just using my recent experience with a crown as an example....but just trying to express toothaches can be horrible, and it would be very beneficial for your group to have an experienced dentist (don't really want to the pliers pulling out your teeth technique)

Agreed... an experienced dentist would probably be a welcome addition to any survival group, the only problem is finding an available one. Unless they got lucky, the group would just have to improvise.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join