It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can you contribute?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Water treatment is an excellent skill.

As I soldier I am trained in field trauma first aid, and field sanitation. I am also an expert marksman, and a mechanic.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I am a machinist,glass cutter.wood worker,minor construction.

I have the ability to understand and work metal.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
If the SHTF, what skill/knowledge would you have that would make you a valuable asset to your community/family?

I ask this because I would like to know what skills I am lacking that I haven't thought about yet. I work in water treatment. I know how to get water and purify it by a couple of different means. That would be my go to skill. I also enjoy gardening, have a big lot in a small town with many fruit trees/bushes and quite a lot of heirloom seeds.
I know the one place I am lacking is in hunting. I am working to fix that.

What about you? What is your main skill that would help a community/your family survive if TSHTF?

I doubt I could offer much, maybe some good conversation, and a willingness to learn and my loyalty. Outside of that I'm not sure what I could offer other than self sacrifice, IE put others needs before my own, so I for one hope I never have to find out if I would be able to survive in a SHTF scenario.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Nice skill set! Must be very useful! I am getting pretty envious of everyone's skills! Thanks for setting the bar so high everyone!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Machinists will have a lot of work if TSHTF, as long as everything still runs!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Komonazmuk

Everyone needs a guard dog.
Sorry, that was the first thing I thought of when I read the first line. Human interaction will still be needed, you can't just have people working their trades, they need to relax too.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

reply to post by Komonazmuk

Everyone needs a guard dog.
Sorry, that was the first thing I thought of when I read the first line. Human interaction will still be needed, you can't just have people working their trades, they need to relax too.

We need a bard on the scene ?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
If you all look back in recent history on ATS and search for SHTF you'll find that this is a common recent trend. Why is this question a useful one and more importantly, to whom???!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Alien44

My handlers at the CIA wanted as much info as I could get on you guys/gals.

I just wanted to see what skills I was missing out on and maybe give people a couple of ideas. No agenda. The agenda meeting was cancelled for this month.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by denver22

Is that your plan? To woo the women with verse and then copulate with them? Bravo.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Is that your plan? To woo the women with verse and then copulate with them? Bravo.

Not without some yeast and hops im not lol, i may have to wear my beer goggles at times ..

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I'm an excellent gardener. I can make wooden furniture and other wooden things, with only hand tools. I can do all the basic stuff like build a fire and build shelters, filter water with readily available things, etc. I know how to weave a shepherd's sling (like David and Goliath) out of one piece of string about 12 feet long, and I'm actually good enough with one to be able to hunt and protect from predators. I know a bunch of other little things here and there that would come in handy should the situation arise.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jeramie

That's another thing I wish I was able to do, build furniture from scratch. Can you do it using only wood instead of nails? Is there an easier way to do it other than using dowels?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Ex-Navy EOD tech and electrician's mate. ASE certified automobile technician. Ex Industrial maintenance tech. Currently self employed repair technician. I fix cars, machines, appliances, and electronics to component level. I can braze and solder(electrical and plumbing) and I can weld(mig, tig, and gas). I also love to garden and I volunteer as a dog trainer for service animals.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Nice set of skills there! Everyone is making me feel lazy...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Ex-Navy EOD tech and electrician's mate. ASE certified automobile technician. Ex Industrial maintenance tech. Currently self employed repair technician. I fix cars, machines, appliances, and electronics to component level. I can braze and solder(electrical and plumbing) and I can weld(mig, tig, and gas). I also love to garden and I volunteer as a dog trainer for service animals.
(Consider yourself chief engineer-techician sir) by order of supe's
Authority being his wing man an all, i hear by grant you cheif engineer-technician status to the colony..
edit on 7-10-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I am probably allot older than you. That is why I have more skills. The downside being that I am older and will be slower than the young whippersnappers. On the other hand, I have already seen combat so I can be fairly sure I won't freeze up when the time comes. I also keep a BOB in my van all the time and I am never far from it. I also concealed carry 90+% of the time. The serious downside to me in a group is that I will not deal well with the lazy. If someone refuses to pull their own weight, they need to leave my group. In the navy, the lazy would get blanket parties to help motivate them. I was glad when I went EOD. I never met a lazy EOD tech, but when I was in the fleet I knew some very lazy sailors.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

Authority being his wing man an all, i hear by grant you cheif engineer-technician status to the colony..
No thanks. The CHENG rarely gets to go on the landing party. Scotty was always stuck with command while everybody else got to go play.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Aren't you supposed to be out pitching woo?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

No thanks. The CHENG rarely gets to go on the landing party. Scotty was always stuck with command while everybody else got to go play.

Our cheif engineer is most needed on earth scouting party's just in case one stumbles
accross a salvagable piece of machinery that needs the expertise of our "chief engineer"..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join