It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can you contribute?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi911

Too long to do and too much information to do it that way.

After looking around google for a minute I found this.
Supe rman memory crystals could be real.
That would be great! Katharos62191, start designing my fortress!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I can fix any machine with moving parts. I can also build any machine with moving parts if I have prints or have seen it.

I spent several years in the infantry, but hopefully the offensive skills won't be needed. The defensive skills are very nice to have, though.

I have been hunting and fishing my whole life, so gathering protein is no problem.
edit on 7-10-2012 by Doc Gator because: grammar

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Gator

Being able to fix things or figure out how they work is a great skill as well. I think that one of the things that have shown through in this thread is problem solving is one of the greatest skills. Without an imagination and the thought process to actually make/repair/design an item, we would be lost.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Agreed. I saw something the other day (can't remember where) that the highest in demand skills post-apocalypse are:

Mechanic
Military
Medical

In that order. I found that very interesting, for the obvious reasons.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I can navigate without gps in nature, i can make fishnets. I can felt wool, animal hair even your hair ( if you have some
. Im not a gourmet cook so no fancy dinners. I have survival skills my father taught me ( he is in military special forces guerrilla ) basicly how to survive in cold climate and forest.. not sure if im any use for you but i could make your life... unbearable lol

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

What about you? What is your main skill that would help a community/your family survive if TSHTF?

Reproducing with the females

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

I can retrieve energy from the Earth and store it in little boxes that can be plugged into.

I can magnetize certain metals. And I can make fire to manufacture wheels and tires.

I can retain water and pipe it where possible.

I can build structures on permanent foundations, and portable ones that float on the water, or on a suspension chassis, with small propulsion capability.

I'm just so dam lazy anymore since I came down with a bad case of retirement!
I don't get around much like I used to! Suppose I wouldn't be much more than an extra mouth to feed.

A fun thread otherwise.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yup, doing that too. I have many pdf files on disc, instructional videos, pdf files on my ebook reader, plus paper copies of them all in case of an EMP.

Edit: Question for you; What do you think would be the best way to store information? Discs eventually degrade, electronics might be useless/corrode, paper can burn. I'm talking information that someone can read or understand, not passing down knowledge from generation to generation.
edit on 7-10-2012 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

I'd ask why you'd want to leave anything out? I don't have hard copies of anything but the most relevant stuff. Cheat sheets and quick reference cards for the most part. I have several on first aid of different kinds, one dedicated to CPR (old and new for the medical folks out there), reloading, and maps of course. My maps are topographic map book pages from books you can get from any truck stop or likely book store. They show a given state and topographic detail to every creek and bluff. ...and they've been laminated. Paper maps are toilet paper in no time flat. ....but I digress. It's a BIG topic!

I've got my core collection duplicated across multiple sets of DVD's and stored separately. It's as much a real paranoia about data loss from bad experiences as anything, but that's in addition to a set on my desktop along with my wife's and a flash drive dedicated to this. Just for the heck of it, my new (first) tablet supports Micro SD, so I'm getting a couple 32 Gig ones and I'll duplicate it there too.

EMP is a major concern, of course...but I was on a science thread here awhile back asking about the best way to shield electronics against what amounts to an EMP from a geomagnetic storm at the levels of the Carrington event. Where telegraph lines ran better without batteries than with them. The answer came to be one so obvious, I just had a double face-palm moment for how obvious it should have been..yet I needed told.

What is square, actually built to hold things and very specifically built to CONTAIN certain kinds of energy? You have it in your kitchen, almost certainly. I don't know 100% if it'll work...and the military can't 100% know their shielding will work either...but it's a damn good chance that something which would fit inside will work when you take it out later. It's dying contribution as a microwave will be in making sure something is NOT cooked. A little disaster humor there.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

What about you? What is your main skill that would help a community/your family survive if TSHTF?

Haha! Thank goodness we will have someone willing to help us reproduce! Even though I know you were being funny, a way to carry on our generations to come would actually be very needed!!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
part-time gynecologist,without our health..nothing else matters

edit on 7-10-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

This is a teenagers dream job until they realize they don't see the healthly ones...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I can make beer and I have 28 years of military experience.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

You're in!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yes, I just did a double face palm, then I called my wife over so I could get a triple face palm going. Wow. Thanks for pointing out what we should have all seen!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

Yes I have quite a lot of experience with batteries too! 12 volt system in the house with adapters to charge in case of a power outage, just need the 12 v appliances too!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

Those are all very useful skills, as for making my life unbearable, sorry, already married.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by denver22

Wingman duties...check.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Factory certified Master technician Asian/European/American cars. 34 years experience. Associates degree in electronics. Apprentice carpenter/plumber. All around problem solver due to my work experience. Former single parent with mad parenting skills. Pretty good cook/bottle washer/diaper changer/story teller.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

True..not very well thought-out

maybe i'll stick to baking cookies,mending socks and playing the flute
edit on 7-10-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Katharos62191

Originally posted by denver22

Haha! Thank goodness we will have someone willing to help us reproduce! Even though I know you were being funny, a way to carry on our generations to come would actually be very needed!!

lmao thanks allthough humour was intent, it is a good point. I mean it's a dirty job but someones
gotta do it lol..

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

With skills like that your more than welcome

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join