It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Posting Already Posted Content...A Rant!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
OK, so let me first say, if there is breaking news and the forum is overloading with threads all saying the same stuff, then I can fully understand why the mods would want to keep the forum clutter free and just have one main thread. To delete threads in that context if fair enough if 5 threads on the first page already cover the topic.

HOWEVER...

If there is a video or topic that was posted 12 months ago, then what is wrong with sharing that again?

I know people say use the 'search function', but if one applies logic, then that is sometimes a really stupid comment to make because the whole point of making a thread is to share info or start a topic.

If I am unware of a topic or video, then I am unable to search for it because I don't know it exists. Hence, if it was posted 12 months ago, then there will be many members on the forum who haven't seen it.

So if I am browsing youtube or a news site and find some info that new to me and hasn't been discussed for a while, then I see nothing wrong with sharing that info even if it has already been posted, for the simple fact that there will be many members who will not have seen that particular video or heard of that topic, and if new posts aren't made, then those members will miss out.

This thread is mainly aimed at those posters who seemingly check and verify every video posted to make sure it hasn't been posted before and take great delight in informing you it was posted on whatever date, so many weeks or years ago!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I ain't sure but I think this has been said before.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

If I am unware of a topic or video, then I am unable to search for it because I don't know it exists. Hence, if it was posted 12 months ago, then there will be many members on the forum who haven't seen it.

Exactly. New members might not be privy to older conspiracy theories/information out there. If it makes the news again, or is just something someone might want to share, what is the harm in letting it be seen again? I never understood that.
I think one way to circumvent the "already been posted" crowd (I have been guilty as well) is to search for it and put it in a different forum that is still applicable. I think that if it is in a different forum it is allowed to have multiple threads on it.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Keywords are your friends.
If I think a video or article is neat, I search the title, then some keywords if an exact match doesn't occur.

Oh, and there's already a thread like this. (tee hee)

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 7-10-2012 by DaTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

I put it down to
being a boring person having nothing better to do
Star chasing
Or 'give us a job as a mod' types

Keeping newer members informed and up to speed on topics a little forgotten or with new information is a just service

Like the "this has been posted before" with my added favourite " please add to this ongoing discussion " usually from months if not years ago, where no ones really going to see it or pay attention

I mean really ........how many threads from a year ago do you check up on ?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
ATS is a big site and server space aint free so I think the point is to cut down on clutter .
If you see a video or an article you want to post then a search to see if its already been posted is advised , if it has then you can add your thoughts to the existing thread plus the relevant information on that thread is bought back for others to see .

Old threads can contain valuable information on the topic at hand .

edit on 7-10-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

It is all just exposing the single biggest flaw with the way ATS stores data, and tthe fail of the search function.

Your points are quite valid op, but think about any method of fixing it. I don't seem to have an answer that will work, my best thought was to take all the highest starred post from the highest flagged posts from every conceivable category and compressing it into several all encompassing "mega threads" where all the pertenent data about any already covered subject could be easily found and referenced, but the falw with this is.

Who picks the data, and decides what is important, if it is simply based off of starrs and flags, well majority rule is not the best method of science, as has been known for thousands of years. Just because many people believe somthing to be true which is not, doesn't make it any more true, it simply shows how ignorant so many are about said subject.

I think the way it works now is about as good as it could get with our present referencing systems, and data manipulation technology. As relevent data is always being posted, the only draw back is that we end up with redundency, which isn't necessarily bad, as it means there is a method to measure each dedundent thread against, to see which comes up with the best set of accurate data.

All we arfe really lacking is a reliable way to rate the reletive data to the facts, then up vote or down vote the threads to prioritise the better ones and minimise the bad ones.

More like reddit or somthing. However without ever losing the current ATS feel, as I do prefer it to reddit.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
So here's one idea.

Maybe we should have a forum that is dedicated to old material. So that way we can avoid the it's already been done thing.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Totally agree. What's old becomes new again.

I would love to comment on some threads, but the replies are so numerous that I get lost in them. More than four of five pages and I feel overwhelmed. A new thread is easier to follow to make sure I'm not simply repeating what's already been said in that particular thread.

Plus, I don't know why I hate older threads, but I do. There's nothing worse than responding to a thread that hasn't been touched in four months, but someone got really bored, searched all the old threads, replied to one, and then it gets listed on the first page of Recent Posts. Let a thread die after a month and allow others to start a new one on that topic.

There are a couple threads here with thousands of replies. I don't touch them.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
ATS is a big site and server space aint free so I think the point is to cut down on clutter .
If you see a video or an article you want to post then a search to see if its already been posted is advised , if it has then you can add your thoughts to the existing thread plus the relevant information on that thread is bought back for others to see .

Personally, if space is an issue I'd prefer to have the older threads deleted.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
So here's one idea.

Maybe we should have a forum that is dedicated to old material. So that way we can avoid the it's already been done thing.

Great idea!

But when someone replies to an older thread, don't let it appear in Recent Posts. Let the older threads have their own page or Tab.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

If there is a video or topic that was posted 12 months ago, then what is wrong with sharing that again?

Nothing.

If a topic is posted yesterday, or last week, or even two weeks ago...chances are it will be closed as a duplicate if it is noticed.

But, three months, a year of more?
As long as the topic is within the T&C, and it is a proper OP...go ahead and start another thread.
Of course, be sure it is a timely topic....few probably care to rehash news that is old....much like last month's sports scores.

There's a whole new batch of members who may not have seen the video or article the first time around.

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Totally agree. What's old becomes new again.

I would love to comment on some threads, but the replies are so numerous that I get lost in them. More than four of five pages and I feel overwhelmed. A new thread is easier to follow to make sure I'm not simply repeating what's already been said in that particular thread.

Plus, I don't know why I hate older threads, but I do. There's nothing worse than responding to a thread that hasn't been touched in four months, but someone got really bored, searched all the old threads, replied to one, and then it gets listed on the first page of Recent Posts. Let a thread die after a month and allow others to start a new one on that topic.

There are a couple threads here with thousands of replies. I don't touch them.

I feel the same. If there are too many pages of replies and the thread is old, I usually don't bother. There have been many threads that I would have missed had someone new not re-posted the same topic. I say let them make the new thread and breathe new life into the topic.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

I feel the same. If there are too many pages of replies and the thread is old, I usually don't bother. There have been many threads that I would have missed had someone new not re-posted the same topic. I say let them make the new thread and breathe new life into the topic.

Hi Night Star. Hope you are doing well. You and I might be a minority here, seeing as lately almost every thread I open someone comments on how the topic was already done on another thread.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Some people just like to feel clever... They want to be the first one to notice something. Of course half the people never noticed the old thread from year ago, and a lot of new members never heard if it, but this particular breed of internet jackass only pays attention to a very tiny bubble that surround themself. Nobody else matters. If they've seen it, its old news. They expect everyone else to have followed in the exact life path that they chose for themself. If they were sitting at home prowling the internet all night one year ago, and you were out hanging out with friends, or god forbid, a member of the opposite sex, that's your fault.

You see, this kind of person is sooo jealous that you have other things to do, and you might get laid occasionally, that they WILL wait patiently for their chance to get revenge.... Even a year or more later, they will be waiting... Sitting all alone in the dark in front of their computer like a psycho, waiting for you to slip up! And when you do, they will be there... "Thats not new, already been posted, here and here and here!" (in the most annoyingly mocking tone possible) "didnt you notice that thread a year ago?? What were You doing that was so important??? Shoulda been here! I was!"

And as if that weren't pathetic enough... They are so arrogant, they think they are the only person who matters. They, in their far deluded minds, actually think that they should be able to come to ATS every day, to a site they have zero ownership of and did not help to build, and be showered with all 100% new content they have never seen before. If something appears that they have already seen before, well then instead of moving on, they will be sure to stop what it is they are doing, enter your thread, and imlediately inform you of your transgressions. Yeah, you heard right. They hate you for wasting their time but they will proceed to waste 10x that amount of time by stopping to let you know that, you wasted their time.

You think that's the end of it? Oh, no, you couldn't be more wrong...

They will keep a tab open to come back and check to see if you dared to say anything back to them so they can come back to argue some more.

Their logic is: I don't care if a lot of people missed this and would like to discuss it or maybe even put a new spin on it. All you people need to go back to that old dead thread and clear out the cobwebs there if you want to have a discussion!

I even saw one member yesterday... The thread brought up new developments on a known story but this person went on braying like a donkey, "thats old!" "nope that's way old! Seen it!" Turns out the moron didn't even read the article before opening their big mouth... And they finally allowed that it was new but that "what you posted was the ONLY new thing about this story...

Well DUH! That's why they posted it!! Holy crap dude... Squeegie your third eye for gods sakes!

They had some big annoying dumb shiny shamrocks all over their avatar... Ok, we get it, you're Irish!
How xxxxing special! You do know there are a whole ton of other people living on this planet too right? So you're not that special! Why people feel the need to shove their heritage into everyone's face, I do not know... It's something I'll never understand.... Smh... Facepalm!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by gortex

Personally, if space is an issue I'd prefer to have the older threads deleted.

Or if not deleted, maybe convert them into a low memory text only format. Seems reasonable. I mean, hey, I'm a reasonable guy most of the time.

new topics

top topics

join