It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a SHTF scenario what addiction are you going to be dealing with?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I think that the majority of ATS members will be fine, because we have to! We will adapt, and better than most because we knew it was going to eventually happen. And we are resourceful

If S does HTF I wish all of you the best and will send out the vibes to stay positive and to not resort to violence against innocent people!

and also people, you forget we will still have alcohol, tobacco and some drugs. Their grown/made naturally

there may be enough chocolate products locally to last people a few months in moderation, good luck!

PEACE

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Chamomile is a natural antihistamine, however if you are allergic to ragweed you may not want to use it since it's related. There are others too that you may want to grow or learn to forage at least.

On your topic, I would struggle with alcohol. I am working on it now, but some days I do better than others. I really want to get rid of this addiction. I guess caffeine is one for me also. I don't drink it a lot, but like alcohol, a lot of it is the psychological dependence on it, like a comfort thing. I think perhaps some stress relieving exercises might be a good idea to learn and use.

ETA: here are links for some natural antihistamine stuff. www.home-remedies-haven.com... voices.yahoo.com...
edit on 8-10-2012 by Ellie Sagan because: added links

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Ellie Sagan

Just get some multimineral tablets. They work as antihistamines quite well. Avoid overconsumption of foods containing tyramines because too much boosts histamine reactions by raising adrenaline and neoadrenaline too high. It's all right if your working to eat more tyramine foods but not if you are just sitting around.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
chocolate....lol

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
Allergy meds.

Asthma control

Trying to control it with vitamin C a more plentiful resource. Never had Allergies before until about 2 years ago and now its ridiculous.

But yeah, that would be my hardship.

Yeah I never had allergies before. Thought folks were whiners when I heard them whining about congestion and sinus headaches. Well... the area I now live in is pretty foreign to me and has some weird allergens.. I am having terrible congestion and sinus headaches. Im using elderberry which helps, but there is nothing like a good RX decongestant.

SO ditto. Allergy meds.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
In all honesty and I am in no way glorifying this it has ruined my life and killed 2 of my brothers and 2 friends. I am a heroin addict trying to recover and if SHTF before I completely detoxed it would be hell. I also use just about every other drug recreationally so that would be hard to deal without however im not addicted to them it wouldnt bother me much just be kinda bored. I also smoke cigarettes which im trying to quit so they might be a little nerve racking. Ironically though I dont drink alcohol. Every once in awhile and i mean like once every 3 months but even when i do i hate the stuff. how it tastes, being drunk(aka the high cause remember kids alcohol is a drug), and the hangover. but yeah that would be mine. for those of you who have never gotten to know an opiate addict and had them tell you what its like its #in hell and i cant imagine how insane they would go if SHTF, not to mention tweakers and crack heads and the likes.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychonautix
In all honesty and I am in no way glorifying this it has ruined my life and killed 2 of my brothers and 2 friends. I am a heroin addict trying to recover and if SHTF before I completely detoxed it would be hell. I also use just about every other drug recreationally so that would be hard to deal without however im not addicted to them it wouldnt bother me much just be kinda bored. I also smoke cigarettes which im trying to quit so they might be a little nerve racking. Ironically though I dont drink alcohol. Every once in awhile and i mean like once every 3 months but even when i do i hate the stuff. how it tastes, being drunk(aka the high cause remember kids alcohol is a drug), and the hangover. but yeah that would be mine. for those of you who have never gotten to know an opiate addict and had them tell you what its like its #in hell and i cant imagine how insane they would go if SHTF, not to mention tweakers and crack heads and the likes.

Problem is that in situations of intense stress, your recreational addictiveness will most likely become full blown. Ive said before.. opiate addictionis horrific... the withdrawal and management is even more horrific. I wish you much luck and try to find some support here. There are some fantastic folks.

I too am concerned with the crackheads, methheads, and all the other "heads" out there when supply is abruptly cut.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Cigarettes are going to become one of my concerns pretty quickly. It would drive me up the wall to be in a SHTF situation and my supply of smokes dries up. There would be so many things I would need to concern myself with that a steady supply of smokes would need to be secured. I would be more than willing to do what I had to in order to keep a stable supply of smokes on hand.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive

So what's your addiction you may be fighting during a SHTF scenario? It may even be a family member, friend, or even neighbor you will have to deal with.

In a real SHTF process part of the process is to cleanse the spirits of the need to feel addiction to anything at all other then being addicted to surviving.. EX:

Smoking ciggs -if in underground or cave or enclosed area and many dont smoke =no more smoking after time
drinking alcohol -if in a open or underground area (controlled) with adults and children miix do you think many adults who dont drink will allow you to do so?-process= species flaws eliminations
medications-if surviving outside or interior of a place over approx1.5 years of non exposure to medications artificial medications many will who can survive will develop heightened immune systems from non-med exposure and closed quarters air carrying the microbes around genetic pool and close quarters washing and eating centers=everybody genetically in group immune upgrade.
drugs-if outside or inside areas or groups have children and adults in same living quaters -do you think adults who dont will allow this to go on around their children also 1.5 years non exposure to prescrip and non prescrip = genetic upgrade population survived no longer depended on drugs-have been thru much made them stronger no longer needing crutch (the survivors ) So it may all work itself out as in past. Which have caused the genetics to advanced as far as they have today since exposure/enlightened genetics started which may have cause ancient man aware man and un aware man to war fight aware sapiens sapiens
others still native EA*RTHlings

edit on 10/8/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
in short all these weaknesses will be rinz away?

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Hot showers and soft warm beds

All other supposed food and substance addictions will quickly fade in the face of never having a hot shower and a soft warm bed to sleep in.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Mine would be coffee and nicotine. Freeze dried instant coffee can easily be found. I use an electronic cigarette and mix my own liquid with large bottles of liquid nicotine. As long as I have a solar charger to charge the e-cig and my bottles, I can keep supplied with nicotine for about a year. The e-cig is great because the vapor dissipates quickly leaving no scent and doesn't require a flame to light nor does it light up to give my position away. Any cigarettes I find will be used for trade or sale.
edit on 8-10-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
99% of the population will be dealing with HUNGER issues; especially that sweet tooth/junk food!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Food: carbs as in toasts and pasta and most bread and flour products.Coca Cola.Sugar.
I could live without cigarettes as i usually spend days without smoking,liquor as well.
I am susceptible to addiction to the green herb, that's why i don't consume any, but if i had the means i'd consume a lot.

Other than that, my girl and my computer, and on a SHTF scenario, there may not be any internet for long periods.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I really appreciate everyone that participated in this discussion.
There are some harsh realities that we are faced with or without the shat hitting the fan. I personally know several people that will have the worst time if anything remotely similar to my scenario was to happen, some being close family members. Alcohol, prescription medication abuse, and others I don't want to mention here due to them being illegal.
We all know someone, perhaps it's ourselves, that would have to deal with hell itself if society was to collapse. What I've read here makes me pray it never does.

Peace

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
wont have to deal at all, got about a 20 gallon jug full of mary j seeds. ill just take a bike trip through woods everyday on way to pick up ration tickets ^^ and most alchohol can be made some what easy with any kind of fruit so no worries there.
Nature, shes your best friend in a time in need ^^

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

In a SHTF scenario what addiction are you going to be dealing with?

You know, this is actually the single most frightening thing for me when I think about what will happen if all hell breaks loose. I've thought about it for years now. I take quite a bit of medication for lupus. It affects primarily my kidneys and central nervous system, and involves significant pain. As such, I take prescription pain meds, and have done for over a decade. I'm in deep water if my pharmacy is suddenly out of commission. I guess I'd try to go isolate myself somewhere and ride it out until the screaming jeebies were over, but I'm not sure I'd make it. Very scary thought.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

reply to post by snowen20

I use to be real bad as a child with allergies then I grew out of it, well so I thought. Now in the past few years it's all coming back.

Anyone know of any natural allergy remedies?

FOR ALLERGIES:

Pure Organic Honey + Pure Organic Cinnamon ... mixed together in warm tea OR warm (not hot) water OR poured on top of stove-cooked (not microwaved) steel-cut oatmeal.

I teaspoon of each, taken together, every day.

The Honey MUST be purchased locally from a farm or bee farmers (not store bought - store bought doesn't work for allergies) ... pure Honey collected from within 20-miles of where you live, the closer to your home it's collected the better, as it will address the specific pollens where you live. A large jar lasts a really long time.

The Cinnamon must be fresh and organic. If it's distributed by a major manufacturer it may not be as fresh and therefore not as potent. Since you are using it medicinally, (as opposed to baking cookies) you want it to be super potent.

The best Cinnamon comes from Southeast Asia, especially Vietnam, Sri Lanka and the coastal-strip near Colombo. Stores like Whole Foods carry it or you can order it on-line.

It may take up to a week to notice results. For some, it cures their allergies, and for others it reduces the severity significantly.

Hope this helps.

edit on 8-10-2012 by Jana12 because: spelling error

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
coffee, Reese, and beer.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Some of us are on medication which would have DIRE effects were it cut off too quickly.

I genuinely fear this kind of thing.

It's about 4th-5th on the list after direct nuclear, chemical, or bio-weaponry exposure.

I'd *almost* rather be rounded into a FEMA camp. At least *maybe* they would have meds..

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join