It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a SHTF scenario what addiction are you going to be dealing with?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

I really like 2 cups of coffee in the morning; that is what I would miss.

Stock up and rice and beans everyone; not exciting; but will keep you alive.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The beauty of living rural (about 3 miles from the nearest blacktop road) and 2 hours from a city of more than 4K people - makes my chances of survival greater than most.

That said - no amount of stocking, prepping and preparing can save me from being cut off from my addiction.

Out here what I will miss is information and communication.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by GrannyJones

You what women used to do before sanitary napkins right?

Really don"t want to explain here but you can google it.

There are all kinds of tutorials on such things. Women can make their own. Needle, thread and scissors go a long ways. Homemade Sanitary Napkins

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

In a SHTF scenario what addiction are you going to be dealing with?

The one involving the pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
cigarettes.

Still... I'll be damn sure to seize all packs of cigarettes anywhere close. I'll even kill to secure some 7/11s and shipments near the harbors. Not to smoke them, but... for currency. I have this idea of living large in a post apocalyptic scenario.

I'll be the ONLY one 7/11 in a 500 mile radius protected by a freakin militia (you know, payed in cigarettes or other common good that I can provide in exchange of cigarettes)

And knowing mankind, they'll even kill themselves over cigarettes when played the right way so... hey, its a beautiful world!

EDIT: oh and for those planning to "grow their own #" either you strike a damn good deal with me, or yer damn crops will be ash by morning. If you insist I'll raid your damn crop and seize it in the name of ... well the little country and god I'm going to create - I dont have a name for it yet, but I'm sure it will be pretty cool. Stay tuned.
edit on 7-10-2012 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick004

I have read that if you eat honey that is local to your area and not pasteurized that it will build up your resistance because of the pollen in it . Another good thing is honey never spoils so its great to stockpile it !

Local honey can be used for many things. It's also a sweetener (of course) and you can dip plant cuttings in it before planting and clone your garden if you don't have anymore seeds.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I would have to deal with asthma meds and as ridiculous as it sounds, I would want water around all the time. Vitamins are going to be useful. I think trying some food that doesn't taste very good and drink only water would be a good start. To know what your in for. Hunting is gonna be a really popular sport when SHTF. Make bows, both fire bows and archer bows. Find wood for spindels and fireboard. Make your own arrows, and reuse them...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Music of the Light

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

So you're the one in my scenario that is raiding the local market?
You're planning to be an entrepreneur even in the worst of times. Nothing wrong with improvising.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PunchingBag80

Speaking of making your own bow and arrows have you seen this dude make them out of pvc pipe? Impressive.

He has many videos that make bigger and stronger bows as well. Overall the most expensive thing is the bowstring.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Im going to be DYING of coffee deprivement, dried chicory is kind of the same, but not really xD

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

You will be the first to go.

I would stay away from the gas stations and docks.

You sound really tough and all, but gangstas and organized crime(aka mob) are no match. Every town has some sort of greedy organized activity.

You cannot take on everybody that thinks exactly like you. Your arrogance will have you dead before you can fill a backpack with loot.

To the op.

Caffeine and sex are about my only two vices.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

That video was great but I still wanted to see him shoot it. That thing will never break unless it got ran over or melted. I need a heat gun...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
My prescription anxiety medication. I've been on them for 5 years now,same dosage whole time.

But from what my therapist has told me, it would take months to ween off of them. Side effects if you stop cold turkey are severe.

So that scares me so bad.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Human interaction. In a SHTF situation, There is a good chance I will lone wolf it out for a pitiful 5 years or so and then pass away.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Maybe you could look into herbs that help with anxiety. It might not replace it but it could at least help if you ever run out and can't get more. It might ease your symptoms. These medications are derived from something. Most likely its a synthesized version of an herb or root or some chemical in one.

I'm not trying to play house Doc or anything just trying to ease your concerns.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I have tobacco seeds and coffee beans for this very reason!
I can make wine and some liquors as well. My beer is no good though, need more practice
Pennsylvania redneck at your service

edit on 8-10-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by PunchingBag80

Go to backyardbowyer on Youtube and he has all kinds of videos on making PVC bows. He even shows how on a stove top. Have proper ventilation which ever way you do it. Inhaling PVC fumes isn't good.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by shamaniski

A lot of people will be doing this. I can imagine wandering across all kinds of camps. Many, many people could be displaced and wondering. I hear a lot of people who say they are gonna just go hunting and live off the land but they forget that so is everyone else. If food trucks aren't bringing in food with the number of people we have in society then anything that moves will become scarce. Crops take time to grow. Figuring what to eat in the meantime is critical. Here kitty, kitty.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Well, tobacco and coffee are plants that grow; one may need a greenhouse in some climes. Alcohol is made from plant stuff as well. S has not HTF yet. Start now, because these things take time. Needless to say, ANYTHING you are reliant upon from the stores could be gone tomorrow.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join