It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a SHTF scenario what addiction are you going to be dealing with?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Simply put:

Thinking.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Cigarettes

About the only way I am gonna be able to quit is if it is not available anymore.

I soooo lack in self control when it comes to smoking.

Pretty sure though that once it is not available, it will be an easy switch as I will have no choice in the matter...if the SHTF anyways.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

I am on meds that would really screw up my brain if I stopped also.

I have a tip for you just in case. If you can have your doc prescribe 90 days at a time so you always have a supply, it won't last I know. So here's what you do, if tshtf, start weaning yourself off to avoid head problems. I am not a Dr, so check with those in the know. But in an emergency this is what I would do. Cold turkey throws the brain into shock, so I would just slowly step down to keep my wits about me.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
sorry about the problem word i used on your thread buddy,iv had my ban lifted, it wont happen again people.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

That's a really good idea actually, thank you! I will see if that can be done in my case

---

I was just thinking about all of things we aren't addicted too per say but that we would really, really miss in SHTF and I'm really hoping SHTF does not happen in my lifetime, boy would I be miserable lol.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
At first, I thought of a few things, then the list went on and on. Electricity, internet, smokes, tea, sanitary pads (my husband joked about gathering moss lol).
Then I thought about my son who has asthma...and everyone elses needs.
I thought we was a humble family

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Reading.

The scarcity of adequate reading materials is a terrible thought to me. I will not be a happy camper.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Easy: The Internet. If that fails I'll have to find something to do with my life.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
1: Plenty of Tactical Bacon

2: Plenty of:

Cigarettes will be a blunder. I know a few people who will go Mad Max in under 6 hours if they don't get their nicotine.

I think my biggest addiction I am not prepared to let go is ATS, to be honest.

edit on 7-10-2012 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

my coffee in the am

my computer

ats - if i could no longer come here to read and post on interesting subject matter w/other like minded folk

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Not really an addiction but a daily necessity for some...insulin. With diabetes being probably the most common condition in the western world, there's going to be a huge loss of life.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

My addiction is the hours I waste here on ATS reading about people I feel are beneath me so that I can feel good about myself. Now I will only have the reality of my disinterest in the rest of humanity to fill my days. But will still manage ,I think, to think myself superior. LOL.
When the s hits the f I will hold up an umbrella and call it a sun shower.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Internet addiction. My internet went down for 2 days because a storm knocked out my modem and it blew up. 2 whole days with no internet i was so bored. People have no idea how dependant this little thing called internet has made us.

Now when it comes to teenagers, theyre going to suffer from cell phone addiction and lack of texting. Whenever i see a kid theyre face is in their cell phones texting. Sometimes i'd like to take their cell phones and throw them as hard as i can at the nearest tree and break them.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I quit cold turkey in January after over 35 years of smoking. I had been leading up to it for a while. I no longer enjoyed it like I used to. The smell bothererd me, the messy ashtrays bothered me, the expense really bothered me. I set a date. ( Jan 1 was on the horizon when I made my decision soooooo) I am now at a point where smoking is no longer a reality on my radar. I dont crave them it is almost like I never smoked. When I see someome smoking I think it looks odd now. Funny huh?
I worried about my own willpower. My mother died of emphasema, my Dad quit smoking back in the 60's. My Mom refused to give up her smokes. They didnt give up on her either. I didnt know if I had moms willpower or dads. Lucky me lucky me, I have Dads.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by haven123

Glad to see you're back! It's nothing I haven't been guilty of myself in the past.

You have been redeemed!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Somehow, I already knew this.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by emberscott
Reading.

The scarcity of adequate reading materials is a terrible thought to me. I will not be a happy camper.

The library should still be there. Remember that Twilight Zone episode where Mr Beamish only wanted time to read and when the SHTF and he was all alone, he headed to the library, only to drop and step on, his reading glasses while running up the library steps. Thats some s hitting some fans there I'll tell ya.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Wow...I'd honestly never thought of having to deal with addictions at a time like that. Its funny how we take so many things for granted.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gunsmoke38
Not really an addiction but a daily necessity for some...insulin. With diabetes being probably the most common condition in the western world, there's going to be a huge loss of life.

Maybe without the processed foods containing all kinds of sugar their bodies will repair themselves. Adult onset diabetes is almost always a lifestyle disease. Control your blood sugar and you control your health.
Childhood diabetes is something different again in that is a defective pancreas.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Originally posted by emberscott
Reading.

The library should still be there. Remember that Twilight Zone episode where Mr Beamish only wanted time to read and when the SHTF and he was all alone, he headed to the library, only to drop and step on, his reading glasses while running up the library steps. Thats some s hitting some fans there I'll tell ya.

I loved that episode! It was "Time enough at last". With Burgess Meredith playing the avid reader.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join