It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Trouble At Reactor 4

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
A diplomat from Japan has sent a tweet that was picked up by ENENews stating that the ground beneath the Fukushima Daiichi Reactor 4, has been sinking unevenly up to 30" (80 cm) and that he fears that the structure would not take another possible magnitude 6 earthquake. There was also an interview stating the same thing linked below, from Mitsuhei Murata former ambassador to Switzerland.

Reactor 4 ground sinking

Mitsuhei Murata, Former Japanese Ambassador to Switzerland: Due to its ground has been sinking, Unit 4 is now endangered in collapse. [...] According to secretary of former Prime Minister Kan, the ground level of the building has been sinking 80 cm [31.5 inches] unevenly. Because the ground itself has the problem, whether the building can resist a quake bigger than M6 still remains a question

I did a search and can so far only confirm the report through the ENEnews source. If true though this could be or check that will be a really bad situation, for the people of Japan as well as the rest of us world wide.

Below as well you will find a quick sound bite of the same politician stating an opinion on why the media silence about reactor 4. The take is the U.S has made news put a hush on things due to the fact that there are 31 similar reactors in the United States as reactor 4.

Silence fault of U.S Government

Mitsuhei Murata, Former Japanese Ambassador to Switzerland: In the US there are 31 [sic] units the same type of that of Fukushima nuclear plant. So, if the accident be spread too far that really embarrasses the US. So that is why the crisis of Unit 4 has been toned down recently. The USA is actually the main reason.

If the ground sinking can be confirmed by other sources I would say they once again have an escalating situation on there hands given the amount of seismic activity, and the general overall intricacies of the situation already this doesn't seem in my mind like it can play out very good.

SaneThinking

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SaneThinking

This is definitely not good. I'm still trying to understand why Japan would build nuclear reactors on the Pacific ring of fire.. Earthquake/Tsunami prone areas.. This is not only Dangerous to Japan but to the rest of the world.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Youareallschizophrenic

I agree with you entirely seems like an absolute lack of forethought was involved in the placement and design of the plants in question, the elevated fuel rod storage pools I'm sure they are also looking at as a failure to take into account contingency plans for such a disaster unfolding.

Couple this with past reports that the fuel rods had breached containment, and were working their way to the water table. And this most recent news really has me thinking about whats really going on underneath the whole Fukushima compound right now. Until confirmed by other sources we can still only speculate but in my opinion there isn't too much good that can come of this if verified.

SaneThinking

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I wondered after the earth quake if the plant was structurally sound or not. I kind of thought there was some issues we were not being told. ..this makes me nervous.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

One thing we can blame is, the people who equate Fukishima with Chernobyl. For one, Chernobyl was buried by a group of brave volunteers, who knew they would die quickly, under a mass of concrete. Fukyshima is still an active nightmare, with no end in sight. Tepco, with compliance of the Japanese government, has been attempting to keep fuel rods cooled by circulating tons of our oceans water, on a daily basis, to keep a status quo,. But, entropy is winning this deadly game.

Of course, the nuclear industry is calling the shots on a world wide basis. Areva and Hilary Clinton were the first powers to meet within days of the nuclear disaster. The stranglehold was set in place from the get-go.

Anyone who has been following what has been happening in Fukushima, can see with their own eyes, via web cams, and leaked data, that R-4 has been in a slo-mo degradation. Arnie Gundersen and Fairewinds, have called the reality of what has been going on, from the first week. The absolute chaos, and no real solutions are the driving force of keeping reality under wraps.

It's appalling that the truth is still being shoved under the rug. Unfortunately, the rug it's being shoved under is the size of planet Earth. The ramifications of Fukushima are directly proportionate to the greed of man.

Des

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I'm not sure what he may be talking about as the Unit 4 building is still the scene of a lot of activity. I have a couple photo runs of recent news from Fuku that might add some to the discussion anyway..

Removal of the RPV Lid from Reactor 4, Sept 2012

and more importantly, there has been considerable work done to fortify and reinforce the foundation of Unit 4,...so is it a matter of sinking in the last few weeks, since completion of the foundation support work or is this from before that was done? Here is the site update for Fuku in September and photographs of the foundation work.

Sept 2012 Fukushima Condition Report

The whole place is still a nightmare and very much ongoing...I'm just unclear on the current status. The link seems to suggest it was an August story?

I'll just leave the US angle alone... It strikes me as humor, not a serious suggestion. There really ARE things on this planet that happen, are bad and are NOT in any way the fault of the United States. Really.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Dang it Rabbit I didn't even see the date stamp for the original sound bite, just had it come up in the news I subscribe to linked to ENEnews should have really taken the time to scan the article for relevant info before posting.

You provide info on the foundation upgrades and was that in correlation to the ground easing or just strengthening the obvious massive damage from the initial EQ and following explosion, release of steam, what have you.

Thanks for pointing that out though a brain fart for sure on my part.

SaneThinking

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I'm sorry.. I didn't mean to drop in and be the bunny of bad tidings.

I really don't run off and fact check every thread either... lol... I swear! I was on that site a couple days ago for something entirely different and looked at all the recent Fukushima stuff.

So it happened..when I saw the thread, I recalled..and.. errr... (sheepish smile) I'll hop back off now. umm... Glad I could help? (hops faster)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Youareallschizophrenic

Very possibly for the same reason that the US builds nuclear rectors on faults and in earthquake prone areas.

Supreme complacency and stupidity.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

There really ARE things on this planet that happen, are bad and are NOT in any way the fault of the United States. Really.

Well that IS possible, but I am not sure that I believe you. Unfortunately however Fukushima and the whole fiasco is NOT one of them. The blame for much for this lies fairly and squarely on the US Government and US companies. The reactor design was bad, the pre-planning and reporting was inadequate and much of this was driven by US backed or based organisations. Japan also has a very great blame in this as well but you are not going to let the US wriggle out of the blame for this one in my book anyway.

and more importantly, there has been considerable work done to fortify and reinforce the foundation of Unit 4,...so is it a matter of sinking in the last few weeks, since completion of the foundation support work or is this from before that was done? Here is the site update for Fuku in September and photographs of the foundation work.

I am curious, if this is the case, as to why all this should come out today?

edit on 8/10/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Get that SH** off our planet! Geeze.

What will it take to stop using this stuff? If we want to be we need to put all the plutonium on our planet and throw it into the nearest pulsar.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
They need to disassemble the reactor and dispose of the thing. What's so hard about that. Maybe they should call in some real construction workers to take care of the thing instead of overeducated idiots.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I'm still trying to understand why Japan would build nuclear reactors on the Pacific ring of fire.. Earthquake/Tsunami prone areas.. This is not only Dangerous to Japan but to the rest of the world.

Well, the whole of Japan is earthquake prone.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Indeed, this unit 4 looks to be the worst, although they are working pretty hard to disasemble it.

I have not heard of the subsidence issue, although some areas of the island on that side did sink 3 feet and the roads are covered at high tide.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Reactor No.4 is in really bad shape. It could go any day at any time. I had to ponder on the development that sinking had happened. Here is my take on it.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

Exactly, this nuke crap is really amazing, a joke on humanity.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by stock

And sadly it could be also the Bane of all humanity and we will never know cause I have this sneaking suspicion that they won't tell us until it's too late anyhow. Pretty sad that we collectively in this world are constantly under threat from whats going on at Fukushima yet we hear nothing lately without looking, about whats taking place there. And how the situation is still fully out of control.

The sooner we get away from nuclear energy and establish something new, can only come too soon

SaneThinking

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Youareallschizophrenic

This is definitely not good. I'm still trying to understand why Japan would build nuclear reactors on the Pacific ring of fire.. Earthquake/Tsunami prone areas.. This is not only Dangerous to Japan but to the rest of the world.

They did it with blessing and help us the US

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Someone with a knowledge of the fault lines and other geological knowledge should start a thread that shows the dumbest places they put nuclear power plants in the USA. Why do we keep putting these kind of things in risky areas. I think it has to do with Pork Barrel tactics myself. Disregard logic and caution to save a few bucks. Make it seem like a great boost to the local economy to take risky actions.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I'm starting to have my doubts about ENEnews. For a while, they had me hooked on eye candy. Now, it seems like every week they have been coming out with some overhyped story that makes you think a total global meltdown is going to happen tomorrow. As bad as the situation was/is, they appear to be borderline fear-mongering.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join