It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Reveals: That 1 in 10 American Teens Suffers from Liver Disease

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Well this isn't very surprising...

In a shocking report that bodes ill for the future health of the generation now entering adulthood, ten percent of today's teens in the United States suffers from nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).

Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) was examined by Marilyn Vos of Emery University. NHANES recorded data on 10,359 teenagers aged 12-18 from 1988-2008. Vos and co-researchers found that 9.9% have NAFLD.

And apparently this problem seems to be increasing faster than the prevalence of obesity.
The cause for this huge rise in NAFLD is high fructose corn syrup. With pretty much everything on the shelves in US supermarkets containing corn syrup is it any wonder that this is happening..?

The liver does not like it...

NAFLD affects the liver's ability to perform many critical functions, including regulation of blood glucose and cholesterol, fat burning, metabolism of hormones, vitamin A storage, and elimination of toxins, which is of course, becoming a more and more critical function in this increasingly polluted world.

www.greenmedinfo.com...

This makes me wonder... What with the whole GMO issue and other food issues is - are they trying to kill us all..?
With so many people world wide struggling more and more with money issues and not being able to feed themselves decent, wholesome and healthy food - they have no choice but to turn to the crappy supermarket brands. Which I think are the worst. And also with the US being very anti 'grow your own veg' it doesn't give people much choice... What are we to do..?!

So please all, keep in mind what you put on the table and in your tummy.

Peace out
From a very worried Fluffx

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
We are starting to get high fructose corn syrup in products in the UK now. The put it in lots of things. I threw away my brown sauce last week when I found the stuff in it...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Its worrying that its spreading further a field. This problem needs to be rectified, and fast. Otherwise, the rate of NAFLD is going to go through the roof..!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Pretty sure I've got fatty liver right now, though it wasn't due to the corn syrup. When talking to people about my symptoms, the responses I'm getting are repugnant. It seems many people have this, and aren't too concerned. They just brush it off and think it's so common, that it's socially acceptable to mostly just deal with it and not change much. I have had two people in the bar try to buy me drinks after I explain to them that I've quit for a while because I likely have a swollen liver. How the hell does it make sense to offer me a drink? I don't want it. I just explained why.

HFCS comes from corn, which is subsidized in the US. We need to ban GM products, and flip the corn for things which are more healthy or conducive to a better economy. I've suggested that the corn gets switched to the green goo once they get it figured out. Although ideal, I have my doubts it will be done...easily.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I am not at all surprised. Almost everything you buy at the grocery store is poison. I actually long for the days when I would blissfully load my cart and grocery shopping took about 30 mins.

Now, by the time I look at all the ingredients, check to make sure its NON-GMO, hit the farmers market and the organic butcher shop, I now spend about 1/2 a day getting the week's food.

Add to the fact that I won't let my family eat Oreo's and the like (ugh!) or store bought bread, so I am always baking. I think I spend at least a quarter of my life doing some kind of food prep.

But, small price to pay. My chronically underweight husband, has gained a well-needed 20 lbs, I am finally reaching my goal weight. And my 5 year old is not only at an ideal weight, but she is active, sleeps 10 hours a night and is "miles ahead of her classmates" in terms of academics (her teacher's words).

I love that my family is thriving.

HFCS is shortening our lives and destroying our kids. You don't realize how much it is in until you start checking labels. I was shocked when I first started paying attention. Thanks for posting this. One good thing about the liver, is it is quite a remarkably self-healing organ. It's not too late.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by minettejo

Now, by the time I look at all the ingredients, check to make sure its NON-GMO, hit the farmers market and the organic butcher shop, I now spend about 1/2 a day getting the week's food.

Tell me about it..!! Even here in the UK GMO is creeping into the food chain and supermarkets... Its quite frustrating that every time you go shopping, you have to spend a good couple of minutes looking at the ingredients of everything you buy to double check there's nothing nasty in it.

Glad to hear you have a healthy and happy family

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by moniesisfun

I have had two people in the bar try to buy me drinks after I explain to them that I've quit for a while because I likely have a swollen liver. How the hell does it make sense to offer me a drink? I don't want it. I just explained why.

That is insane... Do these people hear what you're saying..? Obviously not. I'm sorry to hear that your liver isn't happy - but as the poster below said it is an amazing self healing organ. So feed it the right foods and drink and give it a little time, and I'm sure it'll be better.

They just brush it off and think it's so common, that it's socially acceptable to mostly just deal with it and not change much.

Now thats the scary part.. People thinking that its no big deal, when in actual fact its major deal..!

Fatty liver disease leads to diabetes, hepatitis, cirrhosis, and cancer. It also means that overall health of the entire body is harmed, so that the victim's enjoyment of life is proscribed.

It will also severely shorten the lives of those teens affected. And the worst part is there has been no attempt to address the cause whatsoever.. And that I do not understand.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Thank you Mcdonalds..

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

the corn is also used to feed cows in closed pens that they barely have any room to move...

... American eating habits and food production have truly become disgusting and even criminal.

This of course is a cultural issue that has at the core the same people that invented fried mars bar and lard carving, Did anyone read about how margerine came about, the history of the creation and commercialization is very instructive...

I had access a few years ago to some documentation of a marketing firm in Europe regarding the propaganda strategy for the US soy producers, pretty evil. Beyond what we are now accustomed in regards medical propaganda since it has to influence a larger number of consumers. The world is going to hell in an hand basket to the tune of a gingle from your favorite mega-corporation...

edit on 7-10-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Panic2k11

the corn is also used to feed cows in closed pens that they barely have any room to move...

Naw, they're using marshmellows and candybars now! You still have the choice of purchasing from your local farmer, or finding farm raised at a store somewhat close. Supply and demand...do what you can.

... American eating habits and food production have truly become disgusting and even criminal.

If it's criminal, file a lawsuit. The fact is that their lobbyists change the laws to fit their profit margin needs.

This of course is a cultural issue that has at the core the same people that invented fried mars bar and lard carving, Did anyone read about how margerine came about, the history of the creation and commercialization is very instructive...

No I'm not aware of it. I use butter, olive oil, and coconut oil.

The world is going to hell in an hand basket to the tune of a gingle from your favorite mega-corporation...

This just means you're unable to cope with the change in the world withing feeling as if you're in hell. We all have our bad days. Try to get some rest. Hopefully you will rebuild stronger.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007

I have had two people in the bar try to buy me drinks after I explain to them that I've quit for a while because I likely have a swollen liver. How the hell does it make sense to offer me a drink? I don't want it. I just explained why.

That is insane... Do these people hear what you're saying..? Obviously not.

They hear, but don't fully comprehend. It's okay. How can I fault someone for a lack of comprehension/aptitude. It just is. I walk off. No harm done.

I'm sorry to hear that your liver isn't happy - but as the poster below said it is an amazing self healing organ. So feed it the right foods and drink and give it a little time, and I'm sure it'll be better.

To my very limited understanding of the liver, about 10% of it has critical areas which once damaged, means you won't get well. Hopefully I didn't damage this part of the liver. I have hope that it will get better. If not, meh.

Now thats the scary part.. People thinking that its no big deal, when in actual fact its major deal..!

It's ultimately okay. You can think of it as a part of natural law. Only the strong survive

Fatty liver disease leads to diabetes, hepatitis, cirrhosis, and cancer. It also means that overall health of the entire body is harmed, so that the victim's enjoyment of life is proscribed.

It will also severely shorten the lives of those teens affected. And the worst part is there has been no attempt to address the cause whatsoever.. And that I do not understand.

Sure there has. Even the ability for us to discuss this issue online means that we're making progress. It's a process, bro/gal. Do what we can, and don't fret over what we can't.

edit on 7-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

This just means you're unable to cope with the change in the world withing feeling as if you're in hell. We all have our bad days. Try to get some rest. Hopefully you will rebuild stronger.

That would be the same as to indicate a cancer patient to just sleep it over...

I would agree that bitching does not improve much, but (just like in any other type of relation) if the bitching reaches a certain level, it should indicate that normal dialog is not working and be both a promoter of change and a warning, since clobbering time will be about to begin...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I am trying to teach myself nutrition and I read that the liver can be helped to heal itself by eating liver or liver pate, lamb is the best. Brewer's yeast is good too.

The liver also needs choline which is woefully absent from many diets. You can get fatty liver by not eating enough of choline BTW.

I probably have fatty liver but I am not trusting a doctor again, as they nearly killed last time I was in hospital.

I have found that eating more potassium foods is helping to decrease the fatty liver, after I sorted out the food additives and sorted in the supplements.
Good luck.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
A damaged liver is not something you want, once damaged to a point, it can not regenerate and you
end up with a very painful and slow process of it going to crap.
Many live for years in end stage liver failure, on many drugs, and normally in pain, you also have to deal
with the thoughts of HE (hepatic encephalopathy) Which in its self is a very bad situation, basically your body poisons your brain. In many cases even if you do get a liver transplant you are not the same person you were before, due to HE and other afflictions.
The odds of transplant to save your life, are very slim, there is a chance, but it is a long and drawn out process, most with serious liver issues end up loosing everything they have worked for all their life.
For those reading, take are of your liver.
I found this out first hand, a year ago.. you can read my story if its ok with the mods at
lifebecomesme.com

Most with liver problems , never know it, and are never effected by it, they may get issues every now and then, butt he majority of the 1 in 10 die without knowing. Only the extreme cases or lucky cases are ever caught.
They are pushing for more widespread testing, but that is in process and not guaranteed, you can have your doc run a simple blood test to see how your liver if functioning, its $60 without insurance or at least for my area.
Well worth the piece of mind knowing, talk to your doc if you are even the slightest bit concerned. Find out for sure, the sooner you find out the quicker you can manage it, and the less of a chance perminanate damage will be done. in some cases such as mine which was a surprise, doc gave me a very limited time limit. you dont want to find out the hard way.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The HFCS that is ubiquitous in America's diet is pretty damaging - and a major portion of calories consumed is from it!
A 20oz soda pop has 227 calories - all from sweetener. The metabolism of fructose is different metabolically than that of sucrose. Think how many sodas a day a lot of people drink.

But other fructose 'health bombs' are out there, and we seem to be unaware. People buy agave syrup, thinking it's a 'safe' sweetener. While HFCS is 55% fructose (45% glucose), agave is as high as 92% fructose, depending on the method of production.

There is a rather informative article that goes into quite good detail on Mercola's site :

LINK

While agave syrup does have a low-glycemic index, so does antifreeze -- that doesn’t mean it’s good for you. Most agave syrup has a higher fructose content than any commercial sweetener -- ranging from 70 to 97 percent, depending on the brand, which is FAR HIGHER than high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), which averages 55 percent. This makes agave actually WORSE than HFCS. It is important to understand that fructose does not increase insulin levels, which is not necessarily good as what it does do is radically increase insulin resistance, which is FAR more dangerous. You see, it’s okay for your insulin levels to rise, that is normal. You just don’t want these insulin levels to remain elevated, which is what insulin resistance causes.

top topics

join