It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knowlegde will set you free. TODAY!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I consider myself a fairly well informed person. But it is only recently that I have realized the incredible wealth of free quality education available on the Internet.

You can follow lectures of reputed universities about many different subjects. In some cases you can even get a certificate if you do the assignments and pass a final exam.

I wanted to bring these possibilities to everbody's attention, because I believe that education plays a key role in stopping the downfall of civilization.
Only the uneducated can be held as slaves in the western democracies.
For an unemployed person these online courses look like a good chance to improve their skills and CV.
And listening to an online lecture might be more uplifting for ATS members than indulging in the next doom and gloom thread.

Here are some of the links I have collected. Please add to the list.

MIT
Coursera
Khan Academy
Udacity
and many more... [Thanks to Taupin Desciple for the link!]

If you want a better life and a better world, then here is something you can start doing right now: Get educated!

A question: What is the business model behind such websites? I don't mind if they use advertising, government funds or Illuminati sponsoring. Just curious.
edit on 7-10-2012 by SacredLore because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SacredLore

As a teacher, I can tell you that the Kahn Academy is wonderful. Highly recommend it.

Great thread

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I agree. Great point! At 27, I recently decided to go back to school. I gotta use up these Americorps Education Awards before they expire on me.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Here's my contribution:

www.makeuseof.com...

S&F OP
Great topic.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Thanks to everybody for the positive comments!

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
www.makeuseof.com...

Great link, I have added it to my original posting. I really like what Justin Pot (author of the article) says on that webpage:

"Not so long ago the knowledge imparted on students during university lectures was accessible only to those who could afford to pay tuition. Today information is increasingly free, and I for one think society is better for it."

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Plants For A Future

7000 Edible, Medicinal & Useful Plants - complete with pictures.

A database 20 years in the making.

________

Thanks for the info !
edit on 7-10-2012 by UmbraSumus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I am currently on a coursera course helping my son learn programming.

I have been doing Udacity courses in IT and sciences, they are awesome and try to make there intro courses easy enough for people like me who made a bit of a mess of their education the first time round lol

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Thanks for an amazing threads guys!! I've already put one link to work for me and signed up for a course in
Astrobiology and the Search for Extraterrestrial Life through courserea!
Once again thanks for all the info. it's most appreciated!!

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I want it all. I want to know everything so I can be big and bad like Alan Ladd !
Instead of small and puny like Mickey Rooney.

A most excellent thread OP and thank you for this addition to our community.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Thanks! I'll definetly be taking advantage of these sites until I get enrolled in real college

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Reply to post by SacredLore

thanks for the info but i think it might be useless for me or anyone in Mn. not really sure if its true but i recently read they are going to be banning free online courses here.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Aye thanks these sites are definitely worth checking out.All forms of education and knowledge are valuable,more and more so these days than ever before !!!

new topics

top topics

join